Author Topic: [avast! heuristic - WARNING]  (Read 2291 times)

kenohrn

[avast! heuristic - WARNING]
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:28:46 AM »
I received the following e-mail on two occasions today.  Clearly, Avast is warning me about something -- but where is the e-mail kept after the warning is issued?  It is not in the virus chest. The mail shield statistics show no infected e-mails.

I use Avast 7.0.1466 with latest definitions.
================================

Suspicious extension(s) of attachment
 * Taylor Fell 3.mht
Suspicious extension(s) of attachment
 * Taylor Fell 2.mht

Sender:  **************
Recipient:  *****************
Subject:  Fwd: BC Aviation Council Scholarship Winners photos
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:37:25 AM by kenohrn »

SirMatthew

Re: [avast! heuristic - WARNING]
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »
I just encountered the exact same issue myself.  The email is an Internal Revenue Service bulletin, and I cannot simply ask the sender to re-send it, because it is automated. 

The email is from avast! and says: "Suspicious extension(s) of attachment
 * Changes to Lockbox AddressesCould Affect the Clients You Serve.mht"

I cannot find the email ANYWHERE.  There is no text, no attachment, the attachment is not in the Virus Chest, nor is the original email in my deleted emails.  I am confused as to how to proceed.

I am using Avast Free 7.0.1474 on Win XP SP3.

Thanks for anyone who can help!

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: [avast! heuristic - WARNING]
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:49:53 AM »
hi kenohrn, SirMatthew,

As far as I know, Avast! email protection will work only if a third-party email client is installed and used on your systems.  If you use Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird or other installed, then these programs also provide spam protection.

You also have to set this protection of the email client within Avast! itself to provide the additional protection from Avast!.

Web-based email (email in your web browser) does not cause Avast! to run the email shield at all, as the virus protection is provided by the email vendor, and differs to the a/v used for automatic scanning by each major web email site.  So, web email is never scanned by Avast! unless the attached file is downloaded onto your system.

What, if any, email clients do each of you use?

In any case, getting an unsolicited email from Internal Revenue, UPS, FedEx, etc., is always grounds for suspicion here.  Not uncommon way to get the unwary to click that link within the email and **poof!** you are now infected.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801