Author Topic: Outlook Sub System Not Starting  (Read 11814 times)

David Dinsdale

Outlook Sub System Not Starting
« on: January 29, 2005, 10:39:54 PM »

I have successfully installed avast home, and the status tells me that 5 out of six providers are running.

However the outlook/exchange provider reports that it is 'waiting for a subsystem to start', and appears to be inactive. There are no scan counts in the window

Even when I start outlook express, nothing more seems to happen.

Does this only work for full Outlook, or is there something more I need to do for express ?

The internet mail provider is active and its last scan references my most recent e-mail

Thanks

David

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Outlook Sub System Not Starting
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 10:47:43 PM »
Outlook/Exchange provider is only for Outlook or Exchange.

For other mail clients (like Outlook Express) the Internet Mail Provider and it's connection monitoring is in use.

Cheers
Lukas.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 11:19:46 PM »
However the outlook/exchange provider reports that it is 'waiting for a subsystem to start', and appears to be inactive. There are no scan counts in the window

The message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.
The best things in life are free.

justgeo1

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 11:50:34 PM »
Outlook/Exchange provider is only for Outlook or Exchange.

For other mail clients (like Outlook Express) the Internet Mail Provider and it's connection monitoring is in use.

Cheers
Lukas.

Ok, but I'm running MS Office 2003 and use Outlook as my ONLY email program, but I still get the report that it's waiting for a subsystem to start while I'm actually running Outlook. This is something that's happened after an update a few months ago... Any help would be very appreciated!  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 03:26:35 AM »
Ok, but I'm running MS Office 2003 and use Outlook as my ONLY email program, but I still get the report that it's waiting for a subsystem to start while I'm actually running Outlook. This is something that's happened after an update a few months ago... Any help would be very appreciated!  :-\

Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:

Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.

johnlackerman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 02:31:42 PM »
I am having this same problem.  Outlook says that I have nothing disabled on my program but I still get the "provider is waiting for the subsystem to start.  I have checked the functioning of the virus scanner via outside help and it is scanning NOTHING.  what can I do?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 05:34:42 PM »
I am having this same problem.  Outlook says that I have nothing disabled on my program but I still get the "provider is waiting for the subsystem to start.  I have checked the functioning of the virus scanner via outside help and it is scanning NOTHING.  what can I do?
You're saying that you checked that the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook... ok?
As reported, the message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.
Is Oulook opened when you check the provider status?

larlyles

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 02:25:17 AM »
I am also having the same problem. I use Outlook 2002 and it is open when I check the Avast On-Access Protection Control. With Outlook/Exchange highlighted, the message 'The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.' is near the top of the window, just below Outlook/Exchange. I have gone to 'Tools', 'Options', 'Other', 'General', 'Advanced Options', 'Add-In Manager', as suggested for the Outlook 2003 user. There are two checkboxes there in Outlook 2002. One says 'Redemption Helper Outlook Extension'. The other says 'Outlook Extensions property pages'. Both these boxes are checked. If I click on 'Install' a window pops up with 16 files that have .ECF file extensions. None of these 16 files has anything to do with Avast Anti-Virus, as far as I can tell. How do I get the Avast Anti-Virus add-in installed and running on Outlook 2002?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 04:50:15 AM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Change function and check if the Outlook plugin is installed?

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

larlyles

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 05:29:44 AM »
I have tried all that you suggested and it didn't make any difference. After uninstalling Avast, I have even gone into the regsitry and removed every reference to Avast and alwil that 'search' could find, before reinstalling it again. What is odd is that I have Avast Anti-Virus on my wife's computer also. I have looked in the registry on both machines to try to see an Avast add-in listed under Outlook\Addins. There doesn't seem to be one listed anywhere that I could find, even on my wife's machine when the Avast add-in was showing up in Outlook. The Outlook/Exchange provider was working on her machine - for a while. I didn't do anything to disable or remove it, it just disappeared. Now the Outlook/Exchange provider control on her machine says that it is waiting for a process to start, even when Outlook is open. When it was working and the add-in was showing up in Outlook, right as Outlook was starting, an Avast screen would flash up for a second or two, and then Outlook would go ahead and open and the Avast screen would disappear. When the add-in isn't showing up in Outlook, no Avast screen flashes up. This is obviously what you would expect, however. Both machines are running Vista Ultimate. Is there an .ECF file that can be saved to the Office10/Addins directory so that the Avast add-in will show up in Outlook and stay there? There wasn't one in that directory on her machine, even when the Avast add-in was showing up in the Outlook add-ins. I am at a loss.

mrv

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 06:23:26 PM »
I have exactly the same problem. i've been using avast for over a year with no problems at all. Then yesterday Outlook gave me an error message saying that it couldn't start with the Avast add-in enabled and prompted me to disable it. Now it is disabled i can't work out how to enable it again. I have followed the path to the add in manager but it shows the avast option as checked but it doesn't start with outlook as it used to. I am also at loss. I'm running Outlook 2002 and have uninstalled and reinstalled Avast. Any suggestions?

mrv

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 06:40:33 PM »
Success! For anyone in future that has this problem you need to go to

Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled items and enable Avast from there.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

larlyles

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 08:59:56 PM »
Outlook 2002 show me that under help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled Items that there are no disabled items. Outlook is open and Avast Anti-Virus is running. The On-Access Protection Control says that 'The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.' Repairing, changing, uninstalling and re-installing the program have all been to no avail. This subsystem in Avast is very, very picky as far a Outlook goes. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 12:02:21 AM »
The On-Access Protection Control says that 'The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.'
The plugin will be enabled automatically after you open MS Outlook... Am I understand you correctly?

larlyles

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 02:05:03 AM »
Yes, you are. The plugin is NOT enabled automatically on my Vista machine. I am running Outlook 2002. I have tried repairing and/or uninstalling Avast Anti-Virus numerous times and the Outlook/Exchange provider keeps waiting for a sybsystem to start. Outlook is open and running, but the subsystem never starts.