Author Topic: Mail Shield stopping outgoing mail.  (Read 2828 times)

cameo

Mail Shield stopping outgoing mail.
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:08:57 PM »
Using Windows Live Mail I was able to receive incoming mail but could not send without the server timing out. After checking all of my email account settings without result, I then disabled the Web Shield and the outgoing mail went without any further problems. Does anyone have a solution to this problem as I don't like running without the email protection? Thanks, cameo.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Mail Shield stopping outgoing mail.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »
temporary fix.......see screenshot 29# ..... remove the mark for outgoing scan.....then turn mail sield on again

does that work ?

http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Avast-Home-Edition-Screenshot-6474.html

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
do not know why this happen but you may try a repair of avast......
controlpanel > ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall > repair option > wait some minutes and reboot

or try latest beta version to see if that change anything ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »
First are you using webmail viewed and sent via your browser ?
Or are you using an email program, if so what program ?

Disabling the web shield 'shouldn't allow email to be sent,' as the email shield should be scanning outbound email on the SMTP port 25. If using port 80 for SMTP then the web shield redirects that port so it can scan the HTTP traffic (which it expects on that port), the problem comes when it receives SMTP protocol traffic when expecting HTTP traffic.

I suspect that you may be using a GoDaddy email account (seen this before in the forums) and for the weirdest of reasons they have you use port 80 (the internet HTTP port) to send your email ?

This is against standard non-ssl port/protocol use, email ports are generally POP3 port 110 (POP protocol), SMTP port 25 (SMTP protocol). Secure email usually uses different ports, 993 for secure POP3 and SMTP Ports, 587 or 465 for secure SMTP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cameo

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:55:07 PM »
My thanks to everyone who made suggestions regarding my problem which now appears to have resolved itself. Just to clarify a few points: there was definitely some conflict between my POP3 email program (Windows Live Mail)  and the Mail Shield as this was the second time it had occurred. The first time was some months ago and on that occasion I sought the help of my service provider. Their tech spent quite a long time trying to find the cause and in the end was only able to resolve the problem by disabling the mail shield, the same course that I eventually took yesterday.

After clearing my outbox I again tested the problem several times by sending and attempting to send messages while the shield was both on and off. On every attempt while the shield was on the server timed out.
However, today, and before I tried any of the suggested solutions, the outgoing mail worked perfectly with the shield back on! Clearly there is a bug in the system somewhere that only surfaces intermittently.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your interest and support. I will keep you posted if anything further develops.

Best wishes, cameo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security