Author Topic: WTF: sneak Google Chrome install  (Read 11388 times)

sejtam

WTF: sneak Google Chrome install
« on: October 19, 2012, 04:46:52 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( Why the H***K is Avast's program update always trying to install Google Chrome *and trying to make it my default browser* every time?

There is just that one line, pre-ticket, and if I'm not paying 110% attention, it starts the download and install of Chrome and it cannot
be stopped (other than force kill).

I think this is highly sneaky and unwarranted. It garnered avast! only a 2.5 out of 4 starts I wold have given it
otherwise .

Furrfu

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: WTF: sneak Google Chrome install
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »
>:( >:( >:( >:( Why the H***K is Avast's program update always trying to install Google Chrome *and trying to make it my default browser* every time?

There is just that one line, pre-ticket, and if I'm not paying 110% attention, it starts the download and install of Chrome and it cannot
be stopped (other than force kill).

I think this is highly sneaky and unwarranted. It garnered avast! only a 2.5 out of 4 starts I wold have given it
otherwise .

Furrfu

Hallo,
the option to install Chrome will be shown only to the users that:

- don't have Chrome yet
- haven't turned down the suggestion to install Chrome in the previous version

That's why this version, as the first one with this option, shows the tip to all users that don't have chrome installed on the system.
All later versions will be aware of your previous decision (unless you haven't unistalled avast/re-installed the whole system, causing this information to be lost).

Regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

mustang64

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »
Hi There,
I agree 100% that Avast should not "sneak"in that option!!!  I don't want Chrome and darn near had it forced on to me...not a very nice way to treat pending customers!!! I will make sure I read and re-read any downloads from Avast from now on!!!
Vern

brecky

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
I agree & highly sneaky.  The only way I knew Avast was trying to install google chrome is that after restart, I was asked for a 4 digit google chrome code!  I'm pretty sure I declined the google chrome before.  I think their attempt to install google chrome as me DEFAULT browser is causing some havoc with FF, my preferred default browser..........  grrrrrrrrr

windward10

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »
 :( :( :( :( :(

I too have suffered the unwanted download and I definitely unticked the box on each installation in the past. I will be telling as many people as possible AVOID!!!AVAST

I sent the email below to support, but looking at the patronising answer above I don't suppose they will bother to do anything for my unwanted problem or even apologise.

I am disgusted by your hijacking of my computer and downloading then installing Google Chrome, without my knowledge and consent. I have always un-ticked the box which authorises the download during previous installations of Avast on any of my computers. When I clicked the routine program update button I wondered why it was taking so long, and now I find you have foisted an unwanted bit of software onto my computer. This is tantamount to the virus activity you were supposed to prevent. I am now going to have to uninstall the damn thing and I will still be left with the legacy junk these programs leave behind. Because I didn't create a restore point before I installed new software (which I always do when I install something I actually want) I don't even have that route to clean up your rubbish. You might guess by the tone of this email that I am furious, I just cannot believe you have foisted unwanted software on me.

I will in future (when I next re format my drive) unistall Avast and go back to AVG. I will also stop singing your praises and stop recommending you to others.

brecky

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »
I won't be recommending it any more either.  We have choices. It makes me hate google chrome before I even tried it.  It'd trying to horn in everywhere.  By the way, I checked settings/troubleshooting & found the box that said do NOT use google chrome as my default browser.  I have had the box ticked for a long time.  What it should say or add is do NOT install google chrome. :-[

windward10

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
Just got this reply from Avast. It's obvious that they didn't even bother to read the email I sent them!!! Typical patronising reply

Just makes me more and more angry. HMMM I wonder what AVG and Symantic press office will think of a competitors program that does a stealth install of a program that takes over your computer. Sounds more like the sort of thing an anti-virus is supposed to stop........

"I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Google Chrome is optional installation. It is possible to uncheck this option in custom installation.

Best Regards,
Vladimir Hornicek

Customer service department"

brecky

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:34:17 PM »
I agree. Unsatisfactory reply.  >:(

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
Hi,

The installation isn't "sneak". There is a clear option not to install Chrome. If the Chrome is installed regardless of the option it's a bug and not an intention.

Are you saying that the Chrome is install no matter if the checkbox is checked or not?

Regards,
Jan

windward10

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
I have had Avast installed over a year and always use the manual updates.

On the Maintenance tab there is a button marked "Update Program" I clicked this (as I have done many times in the past) and a download started. No pop ups, no options, no questioning if I wanted the damn thing on my computer, just a down load that took forever. After a reboot (as requested) Lo and behold I had GOOGLE CHROME.

If that isn't a sneak install, please tell me what that is.

As expected no replies to my emails to date!!!!!

By the way Jan if you are anything to do with avast, you may want to pass on to your management that their customer service is appalling and inflates a small annoyance into a major complaint.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:25:03 PM »
Thanks for the report. I'll try to simulate it. The behaviour, you've described, isn't how it's intended to be. I'm really sorry for inconveniences.

Your are talking to a management guy high enough so your complaint already reached the destination. I have to apologise for our support. I believe it's just an isolated issue, which won't repeat in future. Please, send me an email address you've used to contact the support. I'll look into it.

Regards,
Jan

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
I have had Avast installed over a year and always use the manual updates.

On the Maintenance tab there is a button marked "Update Program" I clicked this (as I have done many times in the past) and a download started. No pop ups, no options, no questioning if I wanted the damn thing on my computer, just a down load that took forever. After a reboot (as requested) Lo and behold I had GOOGLE CHROME.

If that isn't a sneak install, please tell me what that is.

As expected no replies to my emails to date!!!!!

By the way Jan if you are anything to do with avast, you may want to pass on to your management that their customer service is appalling and inflates a small annoyance into a major complaint.

Just a quick check. Are we talking about avast! for Mac OSX? Because we don't have any Maintenance tab and the "Update Program" button in the avast! for Mac.

Thanks,
Jan