Poll

avast free which free firewall works best and is compatible windows xp?

comodo
5 (20%)
private firewall
5 (20%)
online armour
6 (24%)
emisoft
0 (0%)
outpost
6 (24%)
tiny
0 (0%)
other?
2 (8%)
kerio
0 (0%)
ashampoo
0 (0%)
avg 2012
0 (0%)
zone alarm 2012
0 (0%)
pc tools firewall plus
1 (4%)
windows 7 firewall control
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Which Free Firewall recommenden to use with avast free advice please.  (Read 9934 times)

Southern Man

Hi,

I have been along time user of avast lost count of how many years?, its a brilliant av program and will stick with it!,thanks guys for all the hard work!,i am presently using private firewall 7.0.28.1,it seems ok,what i would like to ask is if there are any compatability issues here?,like slow downs or lock ups?,if have used comodo before and outpost free and online armour which was a disaster!.
 I am on windows xp,sp3,2gb ram,1.8gz,plenty hd space,winpatrol,and just recently using kingsoft av,comments on this also,it seems good and light.

cheers

southern man

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Which Free Firewall recommenden to use with avast free advice please.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
You should be fine with PFW, seems to play well with avast as long as you have the mutual exclusions but my personal preference goes to Outpost.

I wouldn't have kingsoft installed on the same system as avast though ( might be some slow down and conflict problems ) and i believe that once they release there next version 2013 it will have an even higher chance of conflicts as the database will be stored locally instead of the cloud.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:30:42 PM by craigb »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
Best, is at best (excuse the pun) very subjective and depends on your requirements. For me that is Outpost Firewall Pro, that however is a paid option. There is a free version of the Outpost Security Suite, which you should do a custom install and exclude everything other than the firewall (antivirus, etc.).

So obviously you would also have to remove kingsoft AV if you are going to have avast installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Southern Man

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »
Thanks to everyone for replying,i will uninstall kingsoft i think it might have caused lock ups on the pc and casue it to lag?,awillkeep private firewall seems to work well and is light resources with avast for the time being.

cheers

southern man

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:45:54 PM »
Thanks to everyone for replying,i will uninstall kingsoft i think it might have caused lock ups on the pc and casue it to lag?,awillkeep private firewall seems to work well and is light resources with avast for the time being.

cheers

southern man

Maybe you should go with the results of your "POLL"  ;D ;D ;D ;) 8)

Southern Man

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:12:12 PM »

cheers

southern man

Maybe a USEFUL comment that would help fello avast users would be a better reply than a no help unintelligent ridiculous reply like yours?,maybe i should start a POLL on WHO is most unhelpful avast poster?,come on this is a site to help not patronise good people,you should have respect! :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ::) :P

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »
COMODO firewall is a little too complex to configure and run properly for the average Avast! user.  It also, like Avast! here, constantly checks files called and run; verifies them out in the cloud instead of using the built-in database at times.  This process will take an inordinate amount of time to complete at times, so much so, that more than once I thought the system had frozen completely, and then after that, the system would resume normal operation, and COMODO would announce that the file in question needed to be approved before it would allow it to run in this scenario.  Kind of a signature operative anomaly that COMODO had, and still has now.

HIPS is a great feature, and is one I deem necessary to have in a firewall.  I think that the way HIPS is set to execute, when it executes, and also what automatic decisions are made over time should have a strengthening effect on HIPS operation, not weaken it, and not cause it to get in the way of what an user really uses their computer for; to compute or run software they need to run.

COMODO HIPS is a little too aggressive at times, partly because of the way it is set up to check unknown files. 

That is why I moved to Online Armor (which, btw, is owned by Emsisoft) for now. 

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Southern Man

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
COMODO firewall is a little too complex to configure and run properly for the average Avast! user.  It also, like Avast! here, constantly checks files called and run; verifies them out in the cloud instead of using the built-in database at times.  This process will take an inordinate amount of time to complete at times, so much so, that more than once I thought the system had frozen completely, and then after that, the system would resume normal operation, and COMODO would announce that the file in question needed to be approved before it would allow it to run in this scenario.  Kind of a signature operative anomaly that COMODO had, and still has now.

HIPS is a great feature, and is one I deem necessary to have in a firewall.  I think that the way HIPS is set to execute, when it executes, and also what automatic decisions are made over time should have a strengthening effect on HIPS operation, not weaken it, and not cause it to get in the way of what an user really uses their computer for; to compute or run software they need to run.

COMODO HIPS is a little too aggressive at times, partly because of the way it is set up to check unknown files. 

That is why I moved to Online Armor (which, btw, is owned by Emsisoft) for now. 

Thanks for the very helpful reply back,i'll give online armour a try,i am using private firewall at present which seems ok but is very slow to load at startup,in fact its the last to load in the system tray,i don't know why?.

southern man

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »
Both COMODO and Online Armor are usually the last to show in the system tray here.  Not to confuse anyone, COMODO is gone, so nope, do not have two firewalls running at the same time, only Online Armor is running.

Services for both COMODO and Online Armor start much earlier in the Windows loading process; in fact, Online Armor has an option to block all connections during the so-called 'boot' phase as Windows is starting up.  So, with that option set, it would be safe to have a live internet connection when you start up your system.

Workaround here is to just wait until everything is done loading, and then connect.  This will prevent the possible scenario where the firewall fails to start at all and then no protection is available, which tho rare, can happen.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »

cheers

southern man

Maybe a USEFUL comment that would help fello avast users would be a better reply than a no help unintelligent ridiculous reply like yours?,maybe i should start a POLL on WHO is most unhelpful avast poster?,come on this is a site to help not patronise good people,you should have respect! :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ::) :P

I believe you misunderstood. No disrespect intended.  ???
I was simply referring to the poll results :)

Southern Man

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
Both COMODO and Online Armor are usually the last to show in the system tray here.  Not to confuse anyone, COMODO is gone, so nope, do not have two firewalls running at the same time, only Online Armor is running.

Services for both COMODO and Online Armor start much earlier in the Windows loading process; in fact, Online Armor has an option to block all connections during the so-called 'boot' phase as Windows is starting up.  So, with that option set, it would be safe to have a live internet connection when you start up your system.

Workaround here is to just wait until everything is done loading, and then connect.  This will prevent the possible scenario where the firewall fails to start at all and then no protection is available, which tho rare, can happen.
Thanks for the helpful reply!,private firewall is the very last to load eventually after a long time?,i do not have much in the taskbar just winpatrol,avast,private firewall,also only have 33 services load from startup,PF just seems to take forever to appear in the taskbar and cannot get internet connection for firefox or anything until it does,i am on ADSL 6MB,maybe thats just the way its supposed to be from what you said,sorry i did not understand what you said COMODO is gone?.

Avast seems also to update at the worst times,like on startup real annoying or when in the middle of something and uses a lot of cpu usage sometimes up to 90% and makes the pc difficult and slow to  use,any advice on th esubject appreciated.

southern man

Southern Man

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »
Thanks to everyone who voted on the on the firewall POLL!, this is a good reference for us all and is HELPFUL to Avast users and probably other AV users too!,i have added a few more firewalls to the POLL for people to vote on.

Southern Man

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
Avast seems also to update at the worst times,like on startup real annoying...

IMO an AV should by all means update it's definitions on startup..!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Southern Man

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
Avast seems also to update at the worst times,like on startup real annoying...

IMO an AV should by all means update it's definitions on startup..!!

Thanks for the update!! ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »
i have added a few more firewalls to the POLL for people to vote on.

Southern Man
Just so you know Emsisoft and Online Armor are one in the same and PC Tools Firewall has been canned by Symantec.