Author Topic: How to fix SVCHost.exe App Error  (Read 3619 times)

BLAAG

How to fix SVCHost.exe App Error
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:42:52 AM »
 Had driver issues-these were fixed.(As far as I can tell anyway)Now when my laptop boots up I keep getting this message with a nasty beep.SVCHost Application Error.I hit debug login and it seems to be O.K. but Razzafrass it keeps doing this every time I boot up.I have DELL Lat d620 with XP Pro.Please be aware I am extremely new to this stuff. Thanx to anyone in advance for any help or suggestions.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: How to fix SVCHost.exe App Error
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »
You could try this and see if it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update

Here's more from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927385
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:30:22 AM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

BLAAG

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
Thank you guys for the helpful links.I have tried all of those options with the exception of screwing with the DLLs.Is that even safe to do?I do not have a recovery disk or anything like that.In fact now when I boot up-I still get the error notice and window opens up showing my system 32 folders.Could this have something to do with my Wise 365?One of buddies told me not to screw with this thing.I also have Secunia PSI.Also have a few windows security patches for old Office 2003 that have failed(4 to be exact).Need help thanks for any suggestions.

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
It sounds like you have a program that is scheduled to run at start-up but is not

What I would suggest is to check the list of programs scheduled to start at start-up to see if any are not in fact starting at start-up.  There are multiple progams; i..e Windows Utilities that can tell you which programs are scheduled to run at startup.    I like Slim Computer (free) the best for this.  WinPatrol is also good.   MSConfig will also list start-up programs but I have found it to be incomplete.

After you know which programs/processes are scheduled to run at start-up you can use Windows Task Manager or a free third party program like Slim Computer or System Explorer (I prefer System Explorer, which is free, for this) to see which programs/processes are in fact running.

Then just compare the list.   Just make sure you do not manually start any programs after you reboot except for the program's you use to check which programs/processes are scheduled to run at start-up and which programs/processes are in fact running after start-up

You can also look at the applicable Windows Event log if you have turned on.  It should give an error message.

I would highly recommend checking the progams in start-up once a month at a minumum, especially if you are installing and uninstalling progams.  Too many progams today have click through programs that install with the program you are trying to install and very often the user is not aware of it.   In fact to be really cautious I would recomend checking the start-up program list each time after you install a program using a program's installer, as opposed to updating through the program's GUI

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:32:10 PM by Nesivos »

BLAAG

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
 I'll keep that in mind,Nesivos.Like I said believe it or not-still learning.I will also look into SlimComputer.Thanks