Author Topic: password protected *.bmp files  (Read 5672 times)

intimidator

password protected *.bmp files
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:11:30 PM »
Is anyone else finding these on scanning?  Why are these *.bmp files password proctected?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: password protected *.bmp files
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 06:12:36 PM »
Let me guess. The bmp's are from a game.
Many games encrypt their image and sound files so that they can not be used without having the game installed.

A true bmp is NOT password protected.

intimidator

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 06:44:48 PM »
Actually I don't think they were from a game...since i don't play games on my system.  I don't have the log file to tell you the name of the files and folders they were in.

I think some might be assoicated with Adware scanner?  I will have to pay more attention next time.

I like your website and bookmarked for future reference.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 07:24:57 PM »
I think ii can remember something about Spybot S&D doing something like this. All you need do is check the path to the .bmp file, if it is being protected by a legit program that you installed, no real problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 07:51:44 PM »
I want to add that lavasoft ad-aware skins are really pasword protected. Try to add the folder to exclusion list if you know that it's really safe.

intimidator

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 02:35:15 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!  So far I really like Avast!

CleanaZ

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 12:31:11 AM »
Hi,

there are some programs out there which are used to hide programs or archives from being detected by webspace-providers who want to prevent others from saving WareZ material on their servers and therefore only allow their users to save pictures and documents.
These special programs simulate an archive or program to be a picture by adding a picture in front of it (don't know exactly the real method).
So these "pictures" can be saved undetected on the free-webspace servers and the real content can be extracted again by these programs after downloading the file.

Maybe you've got such a file, which in real case is an archive or program.
The integrated content (especially archives) often are password-protected.

so long