Author Topic: Update error alert when it's set to not alert?  (Read 1823 times)

norel

Update error alert when it's set to not alert?
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:05:48 AM »
My mom's computer (XP SP3) keeps getting an alert when automatic updates fails even though "Show notification if an error occurs" is disabled. We have dial-up so errors occur occasionally though not frequently, but she freaks out every time she sees that alerter.

She has Avast Free 7.0.1466, but it's been doing it a long time now even after one or two clean installs of different versions. I checked the Avast5.ini file and it seems to be working right, i.e., if I change the setting in the interface, the .ini file changes accordingly and vice versa.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and what can be done about it? Thanks!

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Update error alert when it's set to not alert?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
hey another security programs on her computer like third party firewall that could interfere with avast from getting online to get the virus database updates?

i would suggest you try a clean installation of avast again and see if that could solve your problems.

download the uninstall tool from avast.com

download the latest version of avast.

run the uninstall tool, reboot your system, install the latest version of avast.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility - uninstall tool

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download - program link.

Good luck.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

norel

Re: Update error alert when it's set to not alert?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The failures aren't a big deal, they only occur infrequently. It's the alerter that's the issue. Based on the number of replies, I'm guessing this hasn't been a problem for anyone else.