Author Topic: NEW PROGRAM UPDATE 7.0.1473  (Read 168796 times)

Offline brcw

Re: NEW PROGRAM UPDATE 7.0.1473
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »
Speedtest with Avast running:

Speedtest with Avast disabled:

Not happy.  Time to switch antivirus software I'm afraid.

Tomtom

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2012, 02:59:17 AM »
I must be the odd one out - twice I have tried to upgrade from 7.0.1466 and the computer restart has failed on both occasions with subsequent attempts to restart also failing.   On both occasions I have had to do a safe mode start and system restore to recover the computer.  These attempts to upgrade were a few days apart with the last attempt being about two hours ago.  I have been able to upgrade the definitions for 7.0.1466.

My computer is a six year old ACER notebook with Intel core 2 duo  T5250 running Windows Vista Home Premium,  Zone Alarm and Spyware Terminator which are all up to date.  I am intending to leave the update now for a week or so before having another try.  Unless you bring out an update to this update, my only option seems to be to uninstall Avast and have a fresh install.  I have had no problems with AVAST until this update but if I can't update to the latest program version, divorce must be considered.

Tomtom

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2012, 03:18:58 AM »
WOW!  When I posted I thought there was only one page and not 14, and that I was the only one having problems.  I'll just wait around until this all seems to be resolved for everyone as obviously I am not the only one with a problem. My older version seem to work perfectly.

Tom

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2012, 05:32:01 AM »
Same for me. Had to go back with System Restore. Tried the update a couple of times but PC locks up during incomplete boot. I'm using Win 7 64-bit and running Malwarebytes Pro - maybe a conflict?

-> http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&p=417798&#entry417798

Interesting.  I don't recall having seen a conflict between avast!AIS and SAS Pro over the last couple of years.

Well putting in those settings seems to have worked for me. I have now updated successfully and rebooted a few times. So it does appear the update creates a conflict with Malwarebytes Pro which didn't exist before as I never previously needed those exclusion settings. Strongly recommend anyone running Malwarebytes Pro uses these settings before updating. Thanks to Asyn for pointing me in the right direction.

You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Carol2

« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2012, 07:17:18 AM »
Just like to confirm that the GUI update and freeze on reboot, no Start Menu, no working apps is also happening on
Win XP Home SP3 32-bit edition

System is also running ZoneAlarm Free and Malwarebytes Free (which, if I understand correctly, does not have a real time component). 

It is very disappointing that Avast has been aware of this problem for so many days, yet leaves the update out there to consume ("waste") so many people's valuable time.  I personally find that appalling.  It cost me over four hours on Friday afternoon.  My jaw dropped when I came here and found out that the same problem has been posted by multitudes, yet it is still out there like a waiting trap for anyone to fall in.  That is really callous.

Carol
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:18:58 AM by Carol2 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »
System is also running ZoneAlarm Free...

Drop ZA.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
Just like to confirm that the GUI update and freeze on reboot, no Start Menu, no working apps is also happening on
Win XP Home SP3 32-bit edition

System is also running ZoneAlarm Free and Malwarebytes Free (which, if I understand correctly, does not have a real time component). 

It is very disappointing that Avast has been aware of this problem for so many days, yet leaves the update out there to consume ("waste") so many people's valuable time.  I personally find that appalling.  It cost me over four hours on Friday afternoon.  My jaw dropped when I came here and found out that the same problem has been posted by multitudes, yet it is still out there like a waiting trap for anyone to fall in.  That is really callous.

Carol
Some of the freezing issues here are happening for many different reasons, why some are getting them and some are not we do not know as of yet but many are being resolved with exclusion between avast and MBAM but as you on the free version of malwarebytes this is obviously not your issue, another problem on the Malwarebytes forum is and issue between MBAM and Zone Alarm, ZA has also had it's issues with avast in the past so there can be many factors involved and not just avast alone causing the problem.

Have you tried disabling ZA to see if that may be a factor in your freezing problem ?

Carol2

« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »
Has ZoneAlarm been pegged as the culprit for the system crashes related to the update?  Or is that just general advice, unrelated to the program update problems? 

(Edit: This was directed to Aysn.  The post immediately above was posted whilst I was writing my reply.)

Thanks,
Carol
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:34:20 AM by Carol2 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2012, 07:31:53 AM »
Has ZoneAlarm been pegged as the culprit for the system crashes related to the update?  Or is that just general advice, unrelated to the program update problems? 

Both, IMO.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2012, 07:36:07 AM »

Thanks,
Carol
ZA has always been a troublesome firewall at the best of times, the only way to know in your case is to do some trial and error solving, try taking and image of your system first then remove ZA and see if the issue persists.

Please note that it is also frowned upon to place multiple identical posts in several of the threads around the forum, the best way to get help with any issue is to have or start a thread of your own as all this troubleshooting in threads such as these will just get lost.

Carol2

« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »
Both, IMO.

Understood.  Please - what free Firewall would you recommend that plays nice with Avast and runs on Win XP?  Armor?  Comodo?  TinyWall?  Outpost?  Private?  AVS?  Appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Carol

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »
Understood.  Please - what free Firewall would you recommend that plays nice with Avast and runs on Win XP?  Armor?  Comodo?  TinyWall?  Outpost?  Private?  AVS?  Appreciate your advice.

I suggest to choose between these: Armor! Comodo! Outpost!

Carol2

« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
ZA has always been a troublesome firewall at the best of times, the only way to know in your case is to do some trial and error solving, try taking and image of your system first then remove ZA and see if the issue persists.

Please note that it is also frowned upon to place multiple identical posts in several of the threads around the forum, the best way to get help with any issue is to have or start a thread of your own as all this troubleshooting in threads such as these will just get lost.

Thank you for the very valuable information.

As for the multiple posts, understood.  But it seems to me, for each person who actually comes here and posts, there are hundreds or thousands more out there who are coming to this forum for the first time - to figure out what the heck is happening to their PC!  Many of them do not look at the pinned topic at the top - they are looking at posts with the subject headings of "FREEZE" or "UPDATE PROBLEM" or something that looks like it discusses the reason that they came to the forum in the first place.  The subject heading "NEW PROGRAM UPDATE 7.0.1473" will never catch the eye of the first-time, newbie, non-computer-savvy person whose system is crashing over and over and having to hard shutdown and reboot.  Think of all the poor minions who don't even know what "Safe Mode" is.  They have no idea of the lengthy discussion that is going on at the top of the forum.  Can't we have mercy on them and point them toward the meat?  After all, none of the high-level people in this forum are really responding down in those problem threads.  That is why I placed the pointer link toward this post.  (It took me two days to find it, too!) 

Just my feelings about this whole thing.

Carol

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2012, 07:53:59 AM »
Thank you for the very valuable information.

As for the multiple posts, understood.  But it seems to me, for each person who actually comes here and posts, there are hundreds or thousands more out there who are coming to this forum for the first time - to figure out what the heck is happening to their PC!  Many of them do not look at the pinned topic at the top - they are looking at posts with the subject headings of "FREEZE" or "UPDATE PROBLEM" or something that looks like it discusses the reason that they came to the forum in the first place.  The subject heading "NEW PROGRAM UPDATE 7.0.1473" will never catch the eye of the first-time, newbie, non-computer-savvy person whose system is crashing over and over and having to hard shutdown and reboot.  Think of all the poor minions who don't even know what "Safe Mode" is.  They have no idea of the lengthy discussion that is going on at the top of the forum.  Can't we have mercy on them and point them toward the meat?  After all, none of the high-level people in this forum are really responding down in those problem threads.  That is why I placed the pointer link toward this post.  (It took me two days to find it, too!) 

Just my feelings about this whole thing.

Carol
Exactly why user's need to use the seach function at the top of the forum as it makes it much easyer to find similar issues, then create there own thread topic so they can be dealt with on a more one on one basis without being lost in the masses which is what has happened to this thread.

Carol2

« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »
Exactly why user's need to use the seach function at the top of the forum as it makes it much easyer to find similar issues, then create there own thread topic so they can be dealt with on a more one on one basis without being lost in the masses which is what has happened to this thread.

Oh man, that is cold.  The average person using Avast doesn't even have a clue how to find this website or this forum, much less how to use the Search function.   My 80-year old mother uses Avast and all she knows is that she thought her computer was "broken".   Seriously, have a heart for those who are struggling to even get their PC running - without concerning themselves with the Update.  I bet most of them would be happy just to get it up and running again and be able to access their data.  I would be willing to bet that Avast is singularly responsible for a number of new computer sales this past weekend.  99 out of 100 people wouldn't know what to do with the freeze problem that has been occurring.  Geez, show a little compassion and mercy for the vast majority who haven't a clue.  After all, this isn't a problem that is slowing people down.  This is stopping most dead in their tracks.  Can you put yourself in the position of how you would feel if your computer wouldn't boot and you had no idea at all how to fix it?  Can you put yourself in those shoes at all, even for a minute?