Author Topic: Upgraded from Norton 2005  (Read 4792 times)

zeus68

Upgraded from Norton 2005
« on: January 31, 2005, 04:20:53 PM »
After using Norton's AV for years I decided to search for another AV since a lot of people complained abot NAV. I tried AVG and allthough very light it gave me a lot of problems on Updating virus defs. I have been running Avast 4 now for a few weeks and in all 4 pc's at home it has found some trojans and some spyware that norton or Spybot dod not find! Also in a lot of pages I regularly visit it will block certain spyware or malicious scripts. Since I am running a P4 3.2 with 1gb RAM and winXp pro I have not noticed any system slowdown even on all the rest of the celeron PC's at home.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Upgraded from Norton 2005
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 04:26:36 PM »
I sure hope you have removed NAV completely using the uninstall/removal util from Symantec. If not it can lead to conflicts/problems.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 05:05:28 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forums and avast! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

As Eddy said, I too hope the uninstall of NAV went well, this forum is littered with people tripping over the debris left behind after a NAV uninstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wtxhosting

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 05:13:51 PM »
I to congradulate you for the switch as well. The NAV pot holes are a deff. problem. I wold recommend the Professional version if you are visiting sites that need script blocking. I have found that the pro version has block many of the problimatic sites that I reach through out the day.

But for your home, the home version is more that adequate at this point.

StyleWarz

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:31:01 PM »
I swiched from McAfee to Avast! yesterday... It's awesome :D and the beta is even better, can't wait till the 4.6 final version :)

Thanks for the hard work guys at Awill, btw, if I visit Praha again, can I bring you guys a little gift???

McoreD

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 09:14:03 AM »
Congratulations on your choice! Yes I have tried AVG and it gave me problems too (so it is confirmed) when updating definitions -- I was behind a router.  avast! had no problems whatsoever updating or loading.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 11:05:43 AM »
Congratulations. You did good. I also tried almost all possible av solutions, and I stayed with avast! Home, as it's ideal for me as for student. Very good free AV program. AVG has a lots of problems with its update server already for two weeks. Avast neither had it. I hope you'll enjoy this av and friendly forum.