Author Topic: Desk top icon  (Read 4201 times)

fire

Desk top icon
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »
Ok this is no big deal but I noticed my desk top icon changed from the avast orange "ball' to something that looks like a web page,,I think most know what I'm trying to describe. THis just happened today,,,anyway I just updated the program and when the computer rebooted the icon was still the same. I even went to my programs in my "C' drive and when I try to click and drag the orange "ball" icon for avast it changes to the icon I described earlier. Anyone else experiencing this. The icon is basically a white square with some type of page with-in it. The avast works fine after the program update,,just concerned about why the icon changed,,,using avast free version,,

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Desk top icon
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »
F5 on desktop refreshes icons, did it help?
You can right-click on the icon and see Properties (then you can check destination path if it's correct, or change icon -- select avastui.exe).

fire

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »
No help on the F 5,,I had already checked the properties,,tried to change the icon with avastui,,but it didn't help,,however I don't see an avastui.exe,,,should I,,the avastui opens avast for me,,is the .exe missing for some reason or is it the same thing as the avastui. BTW running windows 7
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:24:20 AM by fire »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:53 AM »
Can you post a screenshot? (you can use Snipping Tool from your Start menu).
If you double click on icon, will be Avast UI shown?
avastui.exe is located in \Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast folder

fire

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »
>pk,,I tried to correct by going that route however,,,,I just rebooted my computer a 2nd time ,,the first being after the program update,,and the correct desktop icon has returned,,just one of those things I gues but not being tech savy at all,,some little glitch causes me to worry,,the UI is opening OK so all is well for now,,,as always thanks to those who tried to help me,,if not for people like you I'd be completely lost on most things relating to computers.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:41:25 AM »
Sometimes icon's image can be erased/empty, usually because the application was e.g. removed from your computer -- then system isn't able to load that icon.

fire

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »
pk,,just for future reference I didn't know about that snipping tool,,but after you use it how would I post it here.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 12:53:30 AM »
snipping tool has a highlighter option (yellow pen in menu) ideal for marking important stuff.
then you can save it as a picture, and when you'd reply in forum, there's "Attachments and other options" link -> then you'll attach your saved picture.

fire

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 12:55:07 AM »
Thanks for the tip.