Author Topic: Is Avast Internet Security high on RAM usage.  (Read 3339 times)

MatteoB

Is Avast Internet Security high on RAM usage.
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:30 AM »
Hey just one more question that you might be able to help me with. I was recommended Avast as the most thorough Antivirus/Internet Security out there. However I was talking to a friend who said it may not be suitable for a laptop with 2G RAM (windows & 32 bit) as it is heavy on memory (word he used to describe it was "bloatware"). I don't seem to be noticing this but wonder where he got this from? I am not noticing any issues on powerful desktop (Win 7 64 bit and 6 G ram) but don't know about a laptop?

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:04:12 AM by MatteoB »

CharleyO

Re: Is Avast Internet Security high on RAM usage.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:26:16 AM »

The answer is no, Avast is not heavy on RAM.

Someone (he) does not know what he is talking about and there is no "bloatware" in any version of Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
Well, the latest AV Comparatives tests show avast! one of the lightest and far from bloatware.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
Clearly doesn't use avast, as there are many using avast with lessor resources than that.

I have 2GB of RAM on both my Desktop, XP Pro and Netbook, win7 starter edition (32bit) and RAM isn't an issue on either.

You only have to look at the task manager and you will see just how light it is. Then look at other resource hungry programs and you will see avast is a drop in the ocean. Examples on my system, Firefox, Thunderbird, MailWasher Pro, MbamService, Dropbox, my Desktop Calendar, they all may avast look positively anorexic on RAM use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security