Author Topic: I've looked every where and can't find a fix  (Read 9555 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: I've looked every where and can't find a fix
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 09:13:30 PM »
This scan log is what i want to see, why doesn't it show up after a completed scan. Is that better?

avast! GUI -> 2nd option on the left -> 3rd menu point
Sorry, I'm on the German version, hope you can find it. ;)

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »
hi mrjohncougar,

Sorry you are having problems.

To see a scan log, open the Avast! gui by double-clicking the icon in the XP system tray by the clock. 

Click the 'Scan Computer' Tab>click 'Scan Logs'>highlight the scan recorded you want to see>click 'Results'.  If no action is required by you, the user, there will be no information posted in that scan.  This is normal.

Archive files are typically .zip files, WinRAR files, some sort of compressed file.  It seems, from what we can see, that all files are password-protected, and as Avast! does not know the password to open it, it is simply reporting that it sees the file but cannot scan it.

Archive files are inert, not active or running on your system until opened by you (double-clicking).  No harm can come to your system as long as it remains as an archived file.  Avast! File System Shield will run automatically should you ever open an archive file, and block it if it is malicious.

EDIT:  Same is true should you ever run a boot-time scan, and Avast! is reporting the archive file is corrupted.  File is not corrupted, Avast! cannot open it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:19:12 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

mrjohncougar

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »
Wait if i understand you right  A completed log file like the one below is not generated if the scan was clean? But the error in archives will show up? I'm not worried about the errors in the archives. If that's true then i need to get used to it because ariva let you see a completed log file after every scan and it didn't matter the out come. And I was used to opening a report here or there.  So one more time so i can get out of your hair. I'm going to need to go into the avast folder if i want to see scans that produced zero infections? if so i won't bother you people again. I like to see what files were scanned on a new piece of software. However I've seen them so it's not going to be a on going thing. And because both new avasts7 and ariva2013 are having some issues.  I figured there was a problem with the software. Hey mchain where were you a hour ago? I'm going away happy if this understood it right. No wonder everyone didn't understand what the fuss was about. just post to complete this marathon. Sorry I'm ill with a heart problem and out of work and have very little to do. but worry and stress. ;D

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »
Hi,

Yes, you understand it right.

Sorry, can't be on here 24/7, so patience is sometimes a good requirement to have.  When DavidR is here, what you got above is what he probably would say about your concerns.  I'm glad his help prior to other new members helped there, and am glad to help you out.

As Avira and Avast! are not the same company, they each will have the user do different/similar actions, and set up their gui (the open Avast! window you see) differently.  Nothing wrong with that.  You expected Avast! to perform more or less exactly as Avira did, and this is not possible.  IMO, Avast! does a better job now than Avira ever did.

Again NP. 

Just be patient.  As long as Avast! does its core mission, preventing and protecting, you will be fine.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

mrjohncougar

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
hey i stayed with ariva for five years. the first three were good and i stayed because  I felt the protection was better. Arivas guard is fantastic and doen't need all the shields because it's shield is like four or five in one. but customer service is terrible. i got tired of being abused. So Here i am and thanks for your patience. I try to figure a problem out on the web  and will spend days before i will post. I like this fourm, arivas not so much anymore. 8)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 11:18:10 PM »
The vast majority of users only want to know if there is a problem with the system, a mega log showing that all files are OK is not (in my opinion) really worth anything..
I feel that I just need to see the problems if any

Like when you take a car to the garage, if the mechanic says it is OK you are happy, and do not expect him to reel off a list of the things that are working

Just my two pennorth  ;D

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 07:02:15 AM »
hey i stayed with ariva for five years. the first three were good and i stayed because  I felt the protection was better. Arivas guard is fantastic and doen't need all the shields because it's shield is like four or five in one. but customer service is terrible. i got tired of being abused. So Here i am and thanks for your patience. I try to figure a problem out on the web  and will spend days before i will post. I like this fourm, arivas not so much anymore. 8)
Tip:  Leave all settings for Avast! at default settings, and you will have much less to worry about. 

A scheduled weekly quick scan is really all you need with all settings left at default. 

The eight shields avast! has will take care of any real-time file activation/running issues for you for as long as your system is running.  No need to scan everyday, as the real protection is in the active scanning Avast! does every moment you run your system.   ;D