Author Topic: Re: Avast freezes Computer on startup. --- NEW UPDATE --also--CRASHES MY SYSTEM  (Read 61877 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I can't get as far as any of this stuff.  I've used avast fine for a few years now - BUT - now I cannot register - my licence has expired and every time I try to do so - I get the big warning window - my machine freezes and I have to reboot it the hard way. Is this an issue others are having ? I cannot even switch AV programmes - it is an old PC running Win2000Pro, and  nothing else will work  :(

Any ideas ? It was OK till last night...
Try and see if a custom install without the behaviour shield helps for now, or if possible just remove the shield via uninstall programs.

fuzzbucket

;)
I didn't even know it HAD such a thing. I'll try that in a minute.... thanks.

fuzzbucket

Oh great. It freezes when I try to uninstal anything (I was even going to try for the PROGRAMME as a whole and start over...)

Sigh.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Oh great. It freezes when I try to uninstal anything (I was even going to try for the PROGRAMME as a whole and start over...)

Sigh.
Download the avast removal tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe and run it in safe mode

fuzzbucket

Hm. I can't get into safe mode now :(

I shall go see a movie and then try again !

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Hm. I can't get into safe mode now :(

I shall go see a movie and then try again !
Keep tapping f8 while the system is starting, it should get in, if you hard shut down the system you should also recieve the option to start in safe mode when you start the computer next and you might be able to uninstall avast without the tool :-\

It's probably been hours of troubles for you so far so go watch the movie and relax, someone else will be able to help you when you come back as I'll probably be fast asleep :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:38:57 PM by craigb »

fuzzbucket

Oh I know about the f8 thing. Then it stuck on the same page of DOS code. I'll try again in the morning :) It MAY be time for retirement :( Thanks for being there; I shall return !

Flying Ace

I had this problem, didn't restart pc from the update until today

alright so same problem get to desktop nothing loads and after a while pc crashes

what I did to fix it- start in safe mode and uninstall via control panel, is this update safe to dl now? or do i need to find another anti virus program for the time being, (i dont want to use avg again because I had a similar problem with it and had to remove it in a more extreme way "boot from thumbdrive)

windows xp pro 64bit

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
alright so same problem get to desktop nothing loads and after a while pc crashes
...is this update safe to dl now?

Download and install it without the behaviour shield.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

fuzzbucket

I still can't get into safe mode. If I run the removal tool from the - unsafe !! - mode - will that work ?

OR - anyone know if avira works in Win2000 SP4 ? I don't know any other freebie that does...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I still can't get into safe mode. If I run the removal tool from the - unsafe !! - mode - will that work ?

OR - anyone know if avira works in Win2000 SP4 ? I don't know any other freebie that does...
You can try it, avast will work on your system if you can just do a clean install without the behaviour shield.

fuzzbucket

OK - mad it into safe mode and ran the uninstal tool; now it seems to have frozen on instal (custom with no behaviour...) .... Wondering if I could instal from safe mode.... I'll leave it a few hours and see if it repents...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
OK - mad it into safe mode and ran the uninstal tool; now it seems to have frozen on instal (custom with no behaviour...) .... Wondering if I could instal from safe mode.... I'll leave it a few hours and see if it repents...
You should be able to install in safe mode.

Is there any other security installed on the system - spyware, firewall ?

fuzzbucket

Only Zonealarm - I tried shutting that off - nada. It is a VERY old machine and rarely goes on line, so I can't be bothered with spyware - it only ever does occasional emails ! But it is in THEORY on the home network so in THEORY something could sneak on while we are using another machine...

It was always OK before - just when I tried to register (my key had expired) all this started :(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Avast has had many problems with ZA in the past so uninstalling it would my next step, need to get down to basic's are start building your security from scratch I think.

From memory I think I read somewhere that avast also has to be installed before ZA.