Author Topic: Re: Avast freezes Computer on startup. --- NEW UPDATE --also--CRASHES MY SYSTEM  (Read 62074 times)

fuzzbucket

Never used to have to be..... It USED to work.... And ZA gets dodgy with instals because I am only on Win2000....

fuzzbucket

OK - it MAY now be working - it SEEMS to be installing in safe mode... - BUT - ALL  the screens in safe mode - as someone has said of the uninstall - are so big you have to click buttons you can't see and pray a lot. NOT good. I live in terror about entering the reg code if this works....

Oh praise be. It is at last re-installed. It hasn't asked me to register yet though.... ummmmm
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:26:27 PM by fuzzbucket »

MARIO 58

Wow ------  I have caused quite a stir on this topic – I have looked at all the posts and found that quite a few of us had similar probs to me – THE ONE THING I didn’t see was an answer to the question – IS it safe to stay on old program for now ???? – anyone got an answer ????

After a lot of hours of uninstall and re installs I resorted to the original program I had of Avast – IE  7.0.1466 ----  I then went in to settings and clicked the tab for program  update –

I then clicked Manual install for program only – but left the virus update on auto --- I have run my system with the old program in place for a couple of days now ---   and it seems to update the engine and virus definitions ok – so I am presuming I am safe from viruses for now – at least Im not getting an auto update on the program to crash my system again -- LOL

but still wonder am I safe or do I get another program for now untill its sorted  ---- I dont want to run from avast as I still think its the best out there --- Any thoughts anyone ???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
IS it safe to stay on old program for now ????

Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Wow ------  I have caused quite a stir on this topic – I have looked at all the posts and found that quite a few of us had similar probs to me – THE ONE THING I didn’t see was an answer to the question – IS it safe to stay on old program for now ???? – anyone got an answer ????
It's fine for you to stay with the earlier version if thats what you want to do.

On a side note you may find that installing avast without zone alarm installed might solve your problem.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
On a side note you may find that installing avast without zone alarm installed might solve your problem.

+1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

fuzzbucket

Zone alarm is the ONLY firewall that will work on Win2000Pro, as far as I can find out....

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Zone alarm is the ONLY firewall that will work on Win2000Pro, as far as I can find out....
Outpost Firewall Free 6.51 works on win2000 http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/tech/

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot

Our replies were not directed to you. ;)

MARIO 58

Hi all

Thanks for the reassurance I feel much better

Its interesting you mention remove Zone – all I did with zone firewall  when I got my system back online that is ---- LOL ----  was go in to Application Control and ticked all the allow boxes for any Avast program as I have always done – so it lets Avast have free run of my system – so I don’t think its that causing me problems – though I may be wrong – it could have caused it with the new program and I didn’t know – anyway all I found was all Avast things were ok in zone – and so far Im running ok ( crosses fingers LOL )

MARIO 58

Hi all

Thanks for the reassurance I feel much better

Its interesting you mention remove Zone – all I did with zone firewall  when I got my system back online that is ---- LOL ----  was go in to Application Control and ticked all the allow boxes for any Avast program as I have always done – so it lets Avast have free run of my system – so I don’t think its that causing me problems – though I may be wrong – it could have caused it with the new program and I didn’t know – anyway all I found was all Avast things were ok in zone – and so far Im running ok ( crosses fingers LOL )
  Come to think of it – when I got my system back online ---- I did see an Avast program in zone that needed full ticks to allow – I didn’t think anything of it at the time --- but Im not going to risk another update just in case it crashes me again LOL – im just going to stay as I am for now until the dust settles and Avast come up with a fix – as it looks like there is a major prob with the new one at the mo --

fuzzbucket

Our replies were not directed to you. ;)
WELL - a) how can one tell who a reply is aimed at ? and b) as I HAD mentioned ZoneAlarm was on my system, the responses are useful to me anyway :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
WELL - a) how can one tell who a reply is aimed at ? and b) as I HAD mentioned ZoneAlarm was on my system, the responses are useful to me anyway :)

a) As one looks at the quotations. ;)
b) Good. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:52:34 PM by Asyn »

zalazeel

I also have this problem .... not using avast! till its fixed

I have win 7 64bit

Staffy

I noticed that it was suggested that Zonealarm be uninstalled - if it's installed - to see if it overcomes the problem. I've been running Zonealarm (free) with Avast with no problems at all until the new Avast version was installed. Does this suggest that the problem is more on the Avast side as the old version of Avast works OK with Zonealarm. Has anyone tried uninstalling Zonealarm and found it fixed the problem? I was under the impression that Zonealarm is a very good firewall to have. Is this no longer the case and are there better ones out there that are free?