Author Topic: Re: Avast freezes Computer on startup. --- NEW UPDATE --also--CRASHES MY SYSTEM  (Read 62072 times)

Carol2

Only Cursor still active. Could launch Task Manager.

I could not launch Task Manager.  Tried after each reboot but nothing.  Task Manager would not launch.

This was a huge loss of time

Boy, I'll say!

robert26

ok so i had the same problem, the automatic program update made my comp freeze on startup.

After some trial and error including look for conflict problems, disabling superantispware, disabling functions (none of those ideas worked) i found the answer, at least for me.

uninstall and reinstall avast dont include the firewall. When it asks u to restart, go ahead. When ur computer is reloaded again make sure firewall is turned off, if firewall is turned on then when u shutdown and then turn on comp the problem will return.

I know u dont wanna turn off the avast firewall but for now that works, the only other thing i can think of is turn of MAlwareBytes, maybe thats causing the conflict

But at least for now my computer is running fine and ill use the windows firewall. If  someone is willing, try to disable malwarebytes and tell me if that does it.

If u try the firewall technique or try anything else that works please post here, i hope i helped

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Have you made the proper mutual exclusions in your firewall?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

robert26

yea, utorrent and avast r on my exclusion list

also ive just found out if stop malwarebytes from loading avast works fine that way too, theres a conflict  btwn avast and malwarebytes, but id rather keep malwarebytes and disable avast firewill

Staffy

I've also encountered the same problem. I upgraded to the new version of Avast through the application and rebooted the PC. When the PC restarted I only got 2 of the toolbar icons appearing - avast was not one of them. The system froze when I pressed the Start button so I had to hard reboot. This time on Windows startup no desktop icons appeared. Tried this several times with the same result. Safe Mode brings up the desktop icons.

I eventually gave up and restored to a backup before the upgrade and am now running version 7.0.1466. Am I right to assume that until a fix has been issued that its safe to keep at the older version?

System is Windows XP Pro.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:48:59 AM by Staffy »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks

also ive just found out if stop malwarebytes from loading avast works fine that way too, theres a conflict  btwn avast and malwarebytes, but id rather keep malwarebytes and disable avast firewill
Have you also excluded avast and Malwarebytes from each other ? plus if you navigate your way to the malwarebytes program folder there are 5 exe files you should add to avasts behaviour shield - see pic

Nesivos

also ive just found out if stop malwarebytes from loading avast works fine that way too,
theres a conflict  btwn avast and malwarebytes, but id rather keep malwarebytes and disable avast firewill

If you haven't done so already try reversing the order in which Malwarebytes and avast! load.   I don't know it that will work or not but it could be worth a try.

yuerkxkbcwpfwb

I've also encountered the same problem. I upgraded to the new version of Avast through the application and rebooted the PC. When the PC restarted I only got 2 of the toolbar icons appearing - avast was not one of them. The system froze when I pressed the Start button so I had to hard reboot. This time on Windows startup no desktop icons appeared. Tried this several times with the same result. Safe Mode brings up the desktop icons.

I eventually gave up and restored to a backup before the upgrade and am now running version 7.0.1466.

System is Windows 7 Pro.

same here, will be using 7.0.1466 until an update is released

ConditionOne

I have two notebook computers, a Dell and Toshiba, both Windows 7 64 bit with I7 processors. 

They have been running Avast Free with Malwarebytes without conflict until the most recent Avast Free program update. 

The Dell ran Malwarebytes Pro and Avast Free.  Last night I updated Avast Free and had immediate issues.  The Dell gave me a black screen with only the curser visible.  After several reboots, sometimes it would show only the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop.  It would not accept commands.  In safe mode I uninstalled Avast.  The computer rebooted into normal mode correctly.  I contacted Dell Technical support and updated the video drivers and flashed the Bios.  Then I reinstalled Avast Free (minimal installation) and problems resumed.  This time I could see the desktop toolbar, but not the I then removed Avast and installed Comodo AV and it is running without incident in Harmony with Malwarebytes Pro and Zemana antikeylogger. 

My backup computer is a Toshiba, also Windows 7 64 bit with I7 processor.  It was running Malwarebytes Free and Avast Free.  I installed the same Avast update and experienced no problems such as I have had with the Dell.  However, I then activated Malwarebytes Free into Malwarebytes Pro mode.  After rebooting, my Toshiba desktop experienced problems very similar to the problems with the Dell.  I can see only the background and the toolbar.  None of the icons are visible and I get an hourglass and it will not accept commands. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I have two notebook computers, a Dell and Toshiba, both Windows 7 64 bit with I7 processors. 

They have been running Avast Free with Malwarebytes without conflict until the most recent Avast Free program update. 

The Dell ran Malwarebytes Pro and Avast Free.  Last night I updated Avast Free and had immediate issues.  The Dell gave me a black screen with only the curser visible.  After several reboots, sometimes it would show only the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop.  It would not accept commands.  In safe mode I uninstalled Avast.  The computer rebooted into normal mode correctly.  I contacted Dell Technical support and updated the video drivers and flashed the Bios.  Then I reinstalled Avast Free (minimal installation) and problems resumed.  This time I could see the desktop toolbar, but not the I then removed Avast and installed Comodo AV and it is running without incident in Harmony with Malwarebytes Pro and Zemana antikeylogger. 

My backup computer is a Toshiba, also Windows 7 64 bit with I7 processor.  It was running Malwarebytes Free and Avast Free.  I installed the same Avast update and experienced no problems such as I have had with the Dell.  However, I then activated Malwarebytes Free into Malwarebytes Pro mode.  After rebooting, my Toshiba desktop experienced problems very similar to the problems with the Dell.  I can see only the background and the toolbar.  None of the icons are visible and I get an hourglass and it will not accept commands.
So have you added the exclusions for avast and malwarebytes ? Check section K http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=417798

Also see reply 20 of this thread

Offline COBKA

So have you added the exclusions for avast and malwarebytes ? Check section K http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=417798

Also see reply 20 of this thread

Putting in all of those exclusions has done the trick for me. Haven't needed them up till now but there's definitely a conflict with the latest version and Malwarebytes Pro. Had all the boot problems previously described until I put in the full exclusion settings.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well MBAM Pro has also had a recent program update also, I don't know what might have changed there, but I still haven't excluded MBAM Pro in avast or avast in MBAM Pro.

My only concession is to have the c:\windows\temp\_avast_ folder (where avast unpacks/sends files to be scanned) added to the Ignore list of MBAM and I haven't had any issues on this XP Pro system or my win7 netbook.

So I don't understand why this is OK on mine but not on some other systems; thought one of my changes to avast's default settings it to uncheck the 'Monitor the system for unauthorised modifications' option in the Behavior Shield.' I have WinPatrol and my firewall HIPS functions to look after that, so no need for duplication.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Well MBAM Pro has also had a recent program update also, I don't know what might have changed there, but I still haven't excluded MBAM Pro in avast or avast in MBAM Pro.

My only concession is to have the c:\windows\temp\_avast_ folder (where avast unpacks/sends files to be scanned) added to the Ignore list of MBAM and I haven't had any issues on this XP Pro system or my win7 netbook.

So I don't understand why this is OK on mine but not on some other systems; thought one of my changes to avast's default settings it to uncheck the 'Monitor the system for unauthorised modifications' option in the Behavior Shield.' I have WinPatrol and my firewall HIPS functions to look after that, so no need for duplication.
Yes it's quite strange David, one of my systems had no issues but the other one was playing up without the exclusions so iv added equal exclusions to both now just to eliminate future issues, Malwarebytes has added two new exe files into there program - "mbampt.exe, mbamscheduler.exe " I think the first is to do with the new Chameleon feature which i dont think is causing the problem but the second exe is more important in the functioning of MBAM now and i think it's this one thats causing all the problems.
As both avast and MBAM are now more deep rooted into our systems than ever before i think these exclusions are going to be more and more neccessary in the future and it's probably going to be a whole different kettle of fish again once version 8 comes into play :-\

Offline 3guesses

just disable the behaviour shield for right now...they will release a fix soon...so just wait and switching to another AV is not the solution  >:(

Suffering same problem (on XP Pro SP3 w/ Zone Alarm Free Firewall 10.1.079).  Disabling Behaviour Shield seems to have sorted out the problem... after wasting half of my day.  Thanks, avast.

fuzzbucket

I can't get as far as any of this stuff.  I've used avast fine for a few years now - BUT - now I cannot register - my licence has expired and every time I try to do so - I get the big warning window - my machine freezes and I have to reboot it the hard way. Is this an issue others are having ? I cannot even switch AV programmes - it is an old PC running Win2000Pro, and  nothing else will work  :(

Any ideas ? It was OK till last night...