Author Topic: Re: Avast freezes Computer on startup. --- NEW UPDATE --also--CRASHES MY SYSTEM  (Read 62070 times)

fuzzbucket

I  - for one - didn't uninstal it; I just disabled it till I got avast working again.

Someone here just recommended Outpost Firewall Free 6.51 works on win2000 http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/tech/ for me - as I am on Win2000 - but I assume it works for other OSs as well.

Like you - no problems till this latest update. So I think the new guy is the issue - and that's the update !

amitava

win 7 ultimate
intel i3 cpu
4 GB ram
32-bit

For me the experience was very similar to what many posters have related. After updating to avast free 7.0.1473 and on restarting the pc icons appeared but start menu, taskbar everything was rendered inoperative. I use zonealarm free firewall and tried to uninstall it and then everything was ok...but I've been using ZA and avast free for the last 5 yrs and the two worked very fine simultaneously... I need both and have got used to these so am unwilling to dispense with either

My workaround (if that may be called so) was to install avast 7.0.1466 in safe mode and turn the virus definitions to auto but program update to manual. Everything works fine now... ZA and avast . The virus definitions update automatically

I hope I'm not being lulled into a false sense of security using an old avast program  :-\

Hope the tech teams come up with a fix fast as I'm quite sure the latest version of avast is the source of these problems...never did I face any such problems in the past...and the time span would be around 5 yrs

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I noticed that it was suggested that Zonealarm be uninstalled - if it's installed - to see if it overcomes the problem. I've been running Zonealarm (free) with Avast with no problems at all until the new Avast version was installed. Does this suggest that the problem is more on the Avast side as the old version of Avast works OK with Zonealarm. Has anyone tried uninstalling Zonealarm and found it fixed the problem? I was under the impression that Zonealarm is a very good firewall to have. Is this no longer the case and are there better ones out there that are free?
Zone Alarm has in the past conflicted with avast so the suggestion was to uninstall it and see if that helps ( also check that all avast processes in ZA are set to allow all )

IMO there are better firewalls, the Outpost 6.5 was mentioned to fuzzbucket because of being on win2000, later versions of windows can use the Outpost free suite in a custom install where you are to untick all features and only leave the firewall, there is also Online Armor and Comodo.

MARIO 58

I also have this problem .... not using avast! till its fixed

I have win 7 64bit   
  Hi Zalazeel – you said you not going to use Avast till its fixed – as a matter of interest what other fire wall will you be using?? – I posted ----  is old Avast program safe so I didn’t have to install a different fire wall and get all the hassles that implies – and as I was told its ok to use – I just stopped program auto updates to avoid crashing again  ( EEEEK LOL ) 

I would be interested to know if you know of another free fire wall just as good as Avast – as up to now I found Avast is the best out there – and understand that even the best can have a bad few days now and again – so I am just holding back on upgrade until they sort the bugs out –  its just like some of the windows OS that get released – I normally wait until the bugs are sorted before I upgrade – and when you are running Microshaft – LOL ---  you can expect that now and again – I just never had a prob with Avast   ----ever ----- up to now

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
I noticed that it was suggested that Zonealarm be uninstalled - if it's installed - to see if it overcomes the problem. I've been running Zonealarm (free) with Avast with no problems at all until the new Avast version was installed. Does this suggest that the problem is more on the Avast side as the old version of Avast works OK with Zonealarm. Has anyone tried uninstalling Zonealarm and found it fixed the problem? I was under the impression that Zonealarm is a very good firewall to have. Is this no longer the case and are there better ones out there that are free?
hi Staffy,

Every time Avast! upgrades their software, they will, and do, introduce new features, that may well conflict with existing software on a user's system.  Just because it worked well in the past does not mean the new version will work at all in the user's current configuration.  Unfortunately, that has happened here, but then again, it may also work well with no problems whatsoever.  It depends on what security software one is running.  I think one should be flexible enough to consider running other security software if need be.

ZA, IMO, is behind the curve for state-of-the-art firewall software.  But that is my opinion.

I think Avast! strives to be the cutting edge for a/v software with each upgrade; pushing the envelope is a mark of leadership and thus showing the direction a/v protection needs to go.

Best strategy here is to always image your system before you upgrade; recovery from a failed upgrade will take only minutes instead of hours, just so you know.  Much less frustration for everyone that way.  Using restore does work, but not as well as an image.  An image can also completely recover from an active virus infection; no trace of that infection will be found after an image restore.

I am sorry users posting here have had the problems they have had.  I use Norton Ghost to image; there are other free imaging programs if you wish to use them.

EDIT:  Fixed typo.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:53:21 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

MARIO 58

Hi Staffy --- As I said -- in a resent post Im not gona risk messing with my system anymore at the moment ----- as it took me hours to get my system stable again with re installs etc  -- AGGGGGGGGG  ---- £$%^&*(*&^%$ BLEEP BLEEP ---- LOL----

So All I did was restore to a point where old Avast program was ---  and stopped Avast program auto updating -- but left auto update on for engine and viruses etc and its been fine for a few days now and felt much better knowing I am safe again and updates of viruses works fine

Staffy

Re: Avast freezes Computer on startup. --- NEW UPDATE --also--CRASHES MY SYSTEM
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
Zone Alarm has in the past conflicted with avast so the suggestion was to uninstall it and see if that helps ( also check that all avast processes in ZA are set to allow all )

Fortunately, I've never come across these conflicts with Avast until now. I did with AVG which is why I turned to Avast.

Best strategy here is to always image your system before you upgrade; recovery from a failed upgrade will take only minutes instead of hours

Definitely - I learnt that lesson a while ago ;) I image my system in case of problems and its saved me a load of heartache!

I notice a new update is now available. I don't know if I'll have the time to install it - in case something goes wrong and the associated work to go back to a previous image - but hopefully it'll be OK. People are already having problems with it so I'm tempted to stay on 7.0.1466 if there's no real problem to do so. I'm guessing that there's no major holes that the newer versions are plugging but I may be wrong!

MARIO 58

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
hi Staffy,

Every time Avast! upgrades their software, they will, and do, introduce new features, that may well conflict with existing software on a user's system.  Just because it worked well in the past does not mean the new version will work at all in the user's current configuration.  Unfortunately, that has happened here, but then again, it may also work well with no problems whatsoever.  It depends on what security software one is running.  I think one should be flexible enough to consider running other security software if need be.

ZA, IMO, is behind the curve for state-of-the-art firewall software.  But that is my opinion.

I think Avast! strives to be the cutting edge for a/v software with each upgrade; pushing the envelope is a mark of leadership and thus showing the direction a/v protection needs to go.

Best strategy here is to always image your system before you upgrade; recovery from a failed upgrade will take only minutes instead of hours, just so you know.  Much less frustration for everyone that way.  Using restore does work, but not as well as an image.  An image can also completely recover from an active virus infection; no trace of that infection will be found after an image restore.

I am sorry users posting here have had the problems they have had.  I use Norton Ghost to image; there are other free imaging programs if you wish to use them.

Hi mchain -- thanks for the advice about Imaging -- as a matter of interest I know you use Norton ghost -- but do you know of a good Free Imagining software -- as all I have done before is use restore ??? -- and to be fair -- its been a fairly fast full restore as I am on win 7 pro ---indecently -----  I would want to use this to store offline with a bootable DVD etc -- and this might sound like a daft comment but as my HD is 1 TB ---- will I have to use more than one DVD as each DVD is only 4.6 GB !!!!  --  the reason I want to store off line is not only for security but also to avoid the problem not being able to get it I E --- via internet if my crash effects my internet connection I can not get the back up

As to all the other comments here I want to thank everyone ---- for taking there time to give feed back and advice -- as a newbe -- a site like this is a god send -- and if I spot any other problems here -- ( as I will be coming back quite regularly from now on )---that ring a bell for me -- I will defiantly -- tell them how I got around it --  and hope it helps them as much as you all have helped me

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »

Hi mchain -- thanks for the advice about Imaging -- as a matter of interest I know you use Norton ghost -- but do you know of a good Free Imagining software -- as all I have done before is use restore ??? -- and to be fair -- its been a fairly fast full restore as I am on win 7 pro ---indecently -----  I would want to use this to store offline with a bootable DVD etc -- and this might sound like a daft comment but as my HD is 1 TB ---- will I have to use more than one DVD as each DVD is only 4.6 GB !!!!  --  the reason I want to store off line is not only for security but also to avoid the problem not being able to get it I E --- via internet if my crash effects my internet connection I can not get the back up

As to all the other comments here I want to thank everyone ---- for taking there time to give feed back and advice -- as a newbe -- a site like this is a god send -- and if I spot any other problems here -- ( as I will be coming back quite regularly from now on )---that ring a bell for me -- I will defiantly -- tell them how I got around it --  and hope it helps them as much as you all have helped me

@ MARIO 58,

Imaging a drive will pay enormous dividends for the future.  For example, should your hard drive ever fail or die, you can use a previously restored image to place that image on a new hard drive to replace the old, and be back up and running in minutes, as I said before.  It is also possible to clone an existing good hard drive to new just for backup purposes.

As for free imaging programs, see here:  http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm
http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/backup-and-imaging-software.68844/#post373602
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Ddrescue
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-10469489-285/free-backup-utility-outshines-windows-7s-built-in-disk-imager/
Direct link to todo easeus backup software:
http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/partition-backup/ghost-windows-7-hard-drive.htmhttp://

Some ot the links above are just for informational purposes only.  For example, link to c|net.com should not be used to download easeus software, as c|net downloader can give PUP's (possibly unwanted software) for the user if they are not wary and watch for such when installing software gotten from there.  Always best to go directly to the vendor's site and get what you want from there.  Reason c|net does this is for additional (advertising) revenue.

So, research what you are interested in, and go from there. 

Personally, I have never used Acronis backup, but heard is very good at what it does.

dd_rescue is for hard drives that have crashed and have bad sectors on them.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention you can use a second internal hard drive just for the express purpose of placing created images on that drive; images are not the actual size of the drive (1TB) but are exact images only of the current snapshot size of the data present on that drive at the moment the image was created.  If the size of the data is only 8-10 GB, then the file is usually compressed, and will result in an image of only 6-8 GB.  Your mileage will vary according to the original size of the data being backed up.

You can also use dvd's to back up; a dual-layer dvd will provide twice the  capacity.  An external USB hard drive will be faster and will do the same thing, provided the software you choose will support these operations.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:54:49 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

DennyM

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »
1474 installed today and running fine with no freezes after restart.  (Windows 7 32-bit with Zonealarm Free)

fuzzbucket

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:23 PM »
OK - so it was OK without the behaviour module (it took a few tries to install it, but..) BUT - I still need to register it. Every time I go to the interface - it freezes the computer dead, so I can't enter the code (which I had the smarts to get via another computer...)

drdancm

Win Professional XP 64bit SP2 2003
AMD x4 CPU  8Gb RAM
Spywareblaster 5.0
Spybot 1.62
Malwarebytes Pro 1.70

I had Avast 7.xx and 8.xx running fine on some Win 7 Pro or Home 64 bit machines and the new features of the 8.xx version were really very tempting.

So, I installed latest Avast 8.01483 after uninstalling AVG 2013b on my Win XP 64 bit machinee  and the system freezes on bootup, after extremely slow bootup to desktop image. Boots ok into SAFE mode. Wasted at least 4 hrs trying various things but still no luck.  I set File Shield to exclude all of the security software, but no change.  Finally I found some suggestions on this forum.

I tried disabling Behavior Shield as suggested, but after clicking OK, it has put the checkmarks back on.

I went to Add/Remove and chose Modify (?) and told it to uninstall the Behavior Shield, now I'm waiting to see if that makes a difference. It appeared to boot a bit faster and I got the bootup audio so far. It is still far slower than with AVG 2013.

Ah, great that did it.  It's now booting ok, although slower than it used to.

So now how about a fix for the Behavior Shield which REALLY MESSED up my system?

Dan

true indian

@drdancm
Run AVG uninstaller from here to remove AVG remanents: http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:12:08 AM by true indian »

drdancm

I disabled Behavior Shield that got my system to boot up ok so I thought it was all working.  This morning I turned it on it booted up nicely, but when I attempted to open a folder it froze.

I read your suggestions and the link to the latest version that you suggest I install is the one I had already used.

I doubt that pieces of left over AVG were causing the problem. I had deleted the directory and also cleaned out the registry prior to loading AVAST.

I no longer have any faith that this problem will be solved soon, and I must get on with my work so I have uninstalled AVAST and will put back AVG. While your solution may or may not work for me, I just cannot take another 2-3 hours testing this and that.  I'll come back to AVAST sometime in the future when I have more time to experiment, but not right now. I have deadlines to meet.

Thanks much,

Dan

true indian

you guys could switch back to avast 7 until they have a fix: http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

issues are still current with this version?? :http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0