Author Topic: Help!! Network Sheild - DCOMExploit  (Read 6398 times)

moopa

Help!! Network Sheild - DCOMExploit
« on: February 01, 2005, 10:58:30 AM »
Hi there,

I've been having a bit of a problem connecting to the internet since last night. I upgrated to version 4 of Avast home version about 5 or so days ago. I use AOL Broadband as my ISP. I'm on Windows XP Home and my firewall is Outpost (I've never had any problems with this).

When I try to connect to AOL, it reaches the last connection step "Checking Password", and as it gives me the okay, I get thrown off my connection straight away, and a message from Avast Network Sheild pops up saying something like...

"Network Sheild Blocked DCOMExploit 172.214.108.82.135/tcp"

I know that my IP number begins with 172, is Avast somehow blocking me from connecting?

Can anyone help me with this problem? It's kinda annoying not being able to get online when I need to! I'm not that great with computers, so any help would really be appreciated!

Thank you

Mandy

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Help!! Network Sheild - DCOMExploit
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:06:50 AM »
Is your system up-to-date with ALL the sucurity patches/updates from Microsoft?

Check your connections settings for your IP or contact AOL and ask them.
If it is the same number as in the message from the network shield, your system is infected and you need to clean it and patch it.

For definitions/explanations about DCOM and Exploit have a look HERE
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 11:14:07 AM by Eddy »

moopa

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 11:16:30 AM »
Thanks for your help Eddy.

No I haven't downloaded any security patches for about 2 months, I was going to sometime this week....arrgh if only I did it last week instead.

I'm at work right now, so I can't check my IP on my computer, but if I wanted to get the latest security patches/updates from Microsoft, how would I go about doing that if I can't gain access to the internet from my home computer??

I ran a virus scan last night with Avast, but it found nothing and said my computer was clean! This is confusing!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 11:21:08 AM »
but if I wanted to get the latest security patches/updates from Microsoft, how would I go about doing that if I can't gain access to the internet from my home computer??
Download them and put them on a cd.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 11:22:21 AM »
Mandy,

while the message means a remote host (possibly from the same subnet) is attacking you, the Network Shield actually should NOT block your access to the Internet!

To verify, just disable the Network Shield and try again to connect. Personally, I think the result will be the same (minus the pop up).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

moopa

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 11:27:11 AM »
Thanks Vlk.

Yeah I tried disabling the network sheild yesterday and I still could not connect, I was going to call AOL later today. But I was posting here just in case Avast was the problem. 'Cause a few months ago, my old firewall went nuts on me and would block my own IP from connecting to the internet!

I have the worst luck with computers!

Is there any other way to get the updates from Microsoft? My work computer doesn't give me any administrative privileges and I'm unable to download any updates/patches!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 11:35:19 AM »
Updates can often be found on CD's  accompanying various computer magazines but I don't want to tell you to go and buy a stock of those just to get the updates... :)

Keeping the machine up-to-date isn't really such a problem even for dial-up users. Why don't you turn on the automatic updating feature? (btw what OS are you using?)

moopa

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 11:42:34 AM »
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition. Yeah I should really have it on auto update, but I prefer to do it once every month or two manually.

I would do it today if I could, but without being able to get online, I have no way of getting the updates! I can't download them and put them on a CD from my work computer since I don't have access rights. And from home, as long as I'm getting the network sheild popups, I can't get onto my broadband connection  :(

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 11:51:09 AM »
And from home, as long as I'm getting the network sheild popups, I can't get onto my broadband connectio

Well you confirmed that the NS popups don't really have to do anything with it...
You can even try uninstalling the Network Shield component completely to make sure it's not causing the problem.
Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast Antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Change -> uncheck Network Shield

moopa

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 12:00:15 PM »
Alright so if I uninstall the Network Shield completely, how do I get it back on again afterwards?

So if it's not Avast causing the problem, do you have any idea if the popups from Network Shield are related in any way to my lack of connection to broadband though? Is it possible that it's a virus of some sort getting in the way?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 12:05:42 PM »
You can add it again at the same place where you choosed to remove it.

moopa

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 12:09:11 PM »
Haha oh yeah...oops  :-[

Well thanks for your help you two, I'll call AOL to see if they're the problem and I'll try uninstalling the Network Shield when I get home later!

I still wish there was a way I could get those Microsoft updates and patches in case that's the problem!

Anyways, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! Thanks again!

Mandy