Author Topic: root or user ?  (Read 6961 times)

Waldo

root or user ?
« on: February 01, 2005, 01:08:08 PM »
HI !

Since a few months i decided to drop Windows completely...so i installed Mandrake 10.1 community edition and now upgraded to 10.1 final.

I'm not that familiar to linux, but i manage to keep my system updated, and most stuff goes fine.

So, as i'm ALWAYS running under "user" privileges do i need to run AVAST as "root" to be able to do an entire system scan ? this means scanning ALL the files sitting on my harddisk.

Or can i do it as a user ? if yes...how is this possibel ? how does AVAST gets acces on Roots files ?

I would be happy if i could.... as running as root is not a thing i like to do (safety reasons) and i must be online also to update the database. offcourse i could update as "user" and switch than to root.

Dublin

Re: root or user ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 12:47:24 PM »
scanning depends on access (reading) rights to a file. Otherwise, the permisson denied is returned.

Waldo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 04:37:56 PM »
so, as i understand about your answer > you need to run as root to be able to do a "full" system check as it's not possibel to hide or blockout files for the "root' account being a simple user. Root is like GOD > it sees ALL !

Waldo

Dublin

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 11:58:15 AM »
you must be root if you wanna do complete system check