Poll

When you installed 7.0.1473, were you tricked into installing Google Chrome?

Yes
2 (6.3%)
No
30 (93.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: When you installed 7.0.1473, were you tricked into installing Google Chrome?  (Read 9205 times)

MAG

I always read everything before installing .. ::)
That's quite some claim!

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
Nope.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
I always read everything before installing .. ::)
That's quite some claim!
Not really. Just plain common sense. I've been burned in the past...once.
Since then I use common sense and caution.  :)

Sidenote...Chrome is not a bad browser. I do prefer Firefox.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

marc-d-l

Always read, go slow,on all download or you could end up with half dozen taskbars and programs you never had any intention to get.Faster isn't always better.

tbint

When using the update program feature in version 6 to 7 it did not ask questions. It just updated the program and installed chrome over my original chrome losing all personal settings in Chrome. Since then updating with the program update feature on 6 running on a different PC the install process ran and not the update process and the question where present and very noticeable "Install Chrome".  NO! Remove check. A new install not an update. Not trickery but somewhat nagging!

I can not believe this is still a topic. People honestly need something to protest. Radicals, can't get google so lets go after anyone who promotes them and kick there leaders with are boot heals until....well...I don't know what is a radicals goal?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
no. is already using chrome so.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Nesivos

Nah! There were no tricks. Just don't click your way through "any" install.
A lot of software comes wrapped in a opt-in or opt-out option.
Lesson...read before clicking "next".  :)

Its not always as simple as you and others are saying.

I used to use a utility program that gave you two options on Install; i.e.  "Express" which was heavily highlighted in bright Green against a yellow background and "Custom" which was below "Express" but not highlighted.    When you chose "Express" it auto installed other software without a warning or chance to "opt-out" before the installation of all the software apps were completed.    In fact there was no way to know the other apps were going to be installed until you noticed a shortcut on your desktop.   When you click "Custom" the other software apps are not even shown with a chance to opt-in or opt-out and do not install.

Most computer users by far will choose an "Express" install over a "Custom" install.

HA Nut

Just updated to build 1473 and while I did not receive Chrome, I did get the Google Updater! If it wasn't for Scotty from WinPatrol, I would have never known it. Avast added 2 Google Update services and 2 scheduled tasks (this is on Win 7 x64.) I set the services to disabled and disabled the tasks. FWIW, there is absolutely no question Avast did this. Nothing else was installed or updated. (Since the updater is a background process, there is NO uninstaller available. So I killed it as noted above.) Disappointed!!!!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Nah! There were no tricks. Just don't click your way through "any" install.
A lot of software comes wrapped in a opt-in or opt-out option.
Lesson...read before clicking "next".  :)
Its not always as simple as you and others are saying.
Most computer users by far will choose an "Express" install over a "Custom" install.
Which is why a "custom" option is best. A user can pick and choose what is installed. 
Think before acting, IOW don't just click your way through any install.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.