Author Topic: Constructive Critisim to the Avast Team  (Read 17622 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Constructive Critisim to the Avast Team
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »
user_1000, RejZoR answered it for me...

Some components are integral part of the program and you cannot remove them without crippling it entirely.
The best things in life are free.

user_1000

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
user_1000, RejZoR answered it for me...

Some components are integral part of the program and you cannot remove them without crippling it entirely.

Tech, I don't know why you want to argue about this... but most likely it's not a big deal to make AutoSandbox as optional component in a custom install.

Case is already closed and this is offtopic.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 10:59:01 PM »
Tech, I don't know why you want to argue about this... but most likely it's not a big deal to make AutoSandbox as optional component in a custom install.
I'm not arguing. I'm not an avast programmer.
Just saying that some parts of avast! are required for the proper working. Maybe they're not eligible.
The best things in life are free.

ManyQs

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 03:58:21 AM »
This thread and some of the comments have me starting to think about the question of who fuels change on the Internet?  Is it the customer?  Is it the developer?  Is there another element that fuels change?  Can we always argue that change is because of technological advancement? 

I'm not a young fella, so I can recall when it was a good thing to be especially careful of how one took care of that 55 Chevy and made it last 10 years or more.

But that thinking seems to be totally at odds with what we are being taught/told on the Internet.  We seem to be hearing/reading that a computer is garbage after 3 or 4 years.  That an OS is unsafe after 3 or 4 years.  The same for a browser.  Why is that?

What happened to pride in taking good care of something and making it last a long time?  Even computer hardware and software?  Why is "change" now taken for granted?  How can "change" keep speeding up without eating itself?  Without overrunning itself?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 08:24:36 AM »
Hi ManyQs,

As the OP has yet to respond to the numerous comments regarding the 'bloatware' (edit:  he says) that is now Avast!, this may be a new topic for you to open, albeit in the General Category section, with you as the originating poster.  Nothing wrong with what you posted, but that idea about change might be better dealt with over there.  Good questions otherwise.

We have many highly qualified users here; many of them are in the IT industry or are retired.  Certainly, the window of opportunity to learn a lot is present here.

Research (Google) 'Murphy's Law' to get an idea of why this happens, tho.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:48:25 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »
The thing is, it's not bloated. In fact 90% of ppl scream at things t be bloated that aren't even close to that state. Ppl think that more features automatically means bloat. Or slightly higher resource usage. You can have shitloads of features and in case of AV, if they are all security related, that's not bloat. High resoure usage is also not bloat. Bloat is when you stick loads of basically randomly picked unrelated features and stuff them into one app. Thats what bloat is.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 08:51:27 AM »
Edited above post to make it a little clearer.

Every function in Avast! is needed and works together to increase protection and security.  That is not 'bloatware' to me.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

ManyQs

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »
mchain, I would like very much to be able to start such a thread in that section, but I was under the impression that section was for board related topics. 

Maybe we could stretch that by indicating the subject sort of came up elsewhere on the board?

By the way, the only Murphy's Law I am familiar with is the one we were cited in our early days of helicopter flight school.  "Our" referring to us WOCs.  Draftees, many of us.  Not sure I understand what that has to do with taking good care of one's property and making it last for a long time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:04:30 AM by ManyQs »

user_1000

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
I'm not arguing. I'm not an avast programmer.
Just saying that some parts of avast! are required for the proper working. Maybe they're not eligible.

Of course you're not an Avast programmer. Nobody has claimed so, but you're still repeating that same sentence... "some parts of avast! are required for the proper working".

Yes, of course that's true, but as I said... most likely it's not a big deal to make AutoSandbox as optional component in a custom install. That is just my personal opinion, so there is no need to argue about that. ;)

Tech, If you still want to argue with me, please use a private message instead. ;D

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:12 PM »

'Quote Snip'
But that thinking seems to be totally at odds with what we are being taught/told on the Internet.  We seem to be hearing/reading that a computer is garbage after 3 or 4 years.  That an OS is unsafe after 3 or 4 years.  The same for a browser.  Why is that?

Well I speak from personal experience. I am using XP OS that was purchased in 2002 so that makes my laptop 10+ years old and functions as smooth and safe as the day I purchased it.
And I'll continue running XP as long as possible. I have had no viruses/malware or any unwanted "stuff" infection since 2003. Keep the OS updated, the installed software updated and "read before you Click"
I don't believe for one second an OS becomes unsafe with age...........It becomes unsafe with "stupidity" and lack of Good Internet practices.
IMHO  ;) :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »
mchain, ...
By the way, the only Murphy's Law I am familiar with is the one we were cited in our early days of helicopter flight school.  "Our" referring to us WOCs.  Draftees, many of us.  Not sure I understand what that has to do with taking good care of one's property and making it last for a long time.
...Research (Google) 'Murphy's Law' to get an idea of why this happens, tho.
Shoot, I meant Moore's Law instead, as it is a relevant enterprise/commercial practice for computer hardware innovation and progress.

Thanks for pointing that out, ManyQs.  My bad here.  Sorry about any confusion.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:34:30 PM by mchain »

ManyQs

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 12:18:54 AM »
Oh yes, Moore's Law.  I should have thought of that.  Old brain doesn't work quite as well, if it ever did work well. 

Yep, that one I'm familiar with, too.  In fact, that came up just recently in a tech piece on possibly the BBC site.  Not sure, but some writer type made some reference to that Moore fella.  That wasn't too long ago and maybe I can find that.  May have notes on that bit of writing.

Anyway, thank you for the correction.  Sorry I didn't think of that myself.  Really should have.  The Murphy reference certainly had me perplexed while I had time to consider it.  But you brought back a few old memories of those days way back when life was really, really weird.  And not just mine.  That was a weird, weird world back then.  But sliding off-topic and best stop before the forum police give me a ticket for driving outside the lines.

Kilia

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »
Quote from:
[ link=topic=107844.msg859864#msg859864 date=1352225052

'Quote Snip'

Well I speak from personal experience. I am using XP OS that was purchased in 2002 so that makes my laptop 10+ years old and functions as smooth and safe as the day I purchased it.
And I'll continue running XP as long as possible. I have had no viruses/malware or any unwanted "stuff" infection since 2003. Keep the OS updated, the installed software updated and "read before you Click"
I don't believe for one second an OS becomes unsafe with age...........It becomes unsafe with "stupidity" and lack of Good Internet practices.
IMHO  ;) :)
I have the same setup as schmidthouse, and have absolutely no complaints. 

ManyQs

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
Okay, I haven't had much time to dig into my notes, or check for older articles and such, but just off the top of my head I can think of this:

Microsoft won't allow XP users to install IE9 and I know for sure that we have seen posted on this site that older browsers aren't as safe as newer ones.  I'm sure a lot of you folks have read that on other tech sites, as well.

So if users of XP are stuck with IE8 and don't want Chrome or other choices there is a problem, right?

And then we might consider this business that Microsoft chooses not to support XP users anymore.  There's no security risk there?

I'm just shooting from the hip at the moment.  Been busy and haven't had time to dig up sources.  Sorry.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »
@ ManyQs
The URL in your signature gives me the following warning:

(The warning comes from TrafficLight)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet