Author Topic: Network shield prevents access to router web setup - Avast 1474  (Read 60596 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Network shield prevents access to router web setup - Avast 1474
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »
It's not just router setup that is difficult (ie. slow, incomplete screens, not saving properly, etc.) - as I mentioned in my previous post, even "LAN-Bridge Adapter" setup screens are messed up too! My multi-mode ASUS EA-N450 adapter configuration screens aren't behaving with a combination of Windows 8 PRO (64-Bit) and the latest patched build of Avast free. Need to disable the Network Shield before it all becomes good & fast! I don't like the idea of going online with one of the shields deactivated though.  :(

Hi, so you have to devices with built-in web servers that we have problems with - would you please capture the packets for us? Thanks a lot!!!!
Lukas.

(any packter capturing tools is OK, even Ethereal/Wireshark can be installed if you check the compatibility options and set it to run as if under Win7)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
We have checked five more router brands here, still no repro.

Hopefully a stupid question, but you are testing with Windows 8 correct?

Ha! You got us! We still test only on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups everywhere; maybe upgrading to at least NT3.5 isn't such a bad idea after all.

lash78

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
I made 2 captures with wireshark (with and without network shield). Without network shield the 1st page of router's websetup always working perfectly.
With network shield enabled the whole menu is missing from the left frame. Sometimes the right frame is empty, sometimes the picture is missing from header or some element is missing from the page. Sometimes the page is loads correctly. It's totally random.

I uploaded the captures to avast FTP. The file name is: lash78cap.zip

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »
Great! Thanks a lot. Will go through the data on Sunday.
Lukas,

Broken Hope

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »
Great! Thanks a lot. Will go through the data on Sunday.
Lukas,

Still no update on this I guess? Still hard to believe you could break access to local router setup pages and not be able to reproduce it at all, it's obviously affecting more than just me.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »
Hi, what is really interesting is that it affects only your local router and not inet access in general. What is so different on the web pages sent by your router to the web pages sent by any other server available on the net. Too quick, or too simple, some bugs in the HTTP dialog, I don't know. That is the question that drives my mind - corrupting the traffic is very easy for network filter driver, selecting to corrupt only the router and not other web sites is quite tricky.

Broken Hope

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
Hi, what is really interesting is that it affects only your local router and not inet access in general. What is so different on the web pages sent by your router to the web pages sent by any other server available on the net. Too quick, or too simple, some bugs in the HTTP dialog, I don't know. That is the question that drives my mind - corrupting the traffic is very easy for network filter driver, selecting to corrupt only the router and not other web sites is quite tricky.

Well it affects both my cable modem and my router set up pages and it only started since you made Avast Windows 8 compatible and the issue doesn't present itself when the Network Shield is disabled or uninstalled, so it's definitely something you guys did.

retlaw

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
Well here also,network shield prevent access to my router( D-link 524) web setup?  ???
Disabled network shield no problem.
OS = Win 8

radinelectric

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 05:03:13 AM »
I am having the same issues.  They wanted me to pay them 99.99 to remote connect and configure my computer to work right.  Supposedly this will take Microsoft engineers and 100.00 to fix your problem.  What kind of support is that.  Sounds like it's time to but a different anti virus program.  One that actually works with windows 8.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Network shield prevents access to router web setup - Windows 8 Pro RTM
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »
Hi lash, what brand and model of the router do you have troubles with?
The same question goes to Broken Hope as well. Thanks guys.

Hi, I will add one too. http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN53/ I can access it's Web Interface only if I have disabled avast network shield  ???
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:19:26 PM by =YLAP= »

gtorres

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
Just joined avast forum to endorse the problem. I can't access my router web interface when network shield is turned on.

Router: Dlink DI-524.

I'm glad I'm not alone. It took me hours to figure out it was avast network shield blame.

Broken Hope

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 06:56:50 PM »
Still no fix, I'm sure they will still state they can't reproduce the issue either, even though it worked fine in Windows 7 in an older version of Avast. So whatever they did to make Avast Windows 8 compatible did this.

Dennis.Gonzales

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
Problem with these routers not loading properly with Enabled Network Shield .

Routers:
* TP-Link TL-R402M
* D-Link DI-704P
* Edimax BR-6428nS

These are all local routers. Sometimes on rare occasions it doesn't load even in Windows XP.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
Hi guys, we were able to reproduce it and we have a couple of changes that might fix it. Still testing internally.

Whatever Broken Hope means we did is that we have completely replaced the drivers behind Network Shield in windows8. It is definitely caused by these new drivers. No need to have doubts on this.

Broken Hope

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
Hi guys, we were able to reproduce it and we have a couple of changes that might fix it. Still testing internally.

Whatever Broken Hope means we did is that we have completely replaced the drivers behind Network Shield in windows8. It is definitely caused by these new drivers. No need to have doubts on this.

Any idea when the fixes will be pushed to the end user so I can enable the Network Shield again?