Author Topic: Network shield prevents access to router web setup - Avast 1474  (Read 60325 times)

Broken Hope

Re: Network shield prevents access to router web setup - Avast 1474
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:05 PM »

Hi,
don't know about the nshield.log analysis, we have to wait for Zdenek on this. However, it might be helpful to have a trace of the traffic that is causing the problems.

Could you try to record a packet dump from the session?

There are two options:
1. Wireshark - for those who like it and use it (like me). However, officially not yet supported on Windows8, if you have WireSharp already installed, please record the packet dump with it.
2. Microsoft Network Monitor

Let me describe the steps for NM:
1. download Network Monitor here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865
2. select appropriate version based on your os version (32bit or 64bit)
3. download to your PC, and run the installer
4. Confirm YES and NEXT during the installer prompts.
5. The installation has to parts, Network Monitor and Parsers - both should complete easily, ending with a NM shortcut on the desktop
6. After the installation is completed - you have to logout and login again before using the program.
7. Log in again, open Network monitor on the desktop
8. Click "New Capture"
9. New tab opens, click the "Start" button on the taskbar.
10. Do the traffic that causes problems -- such as accessing your router.
11. After the problem manifests itself, click stop to terminate recording.
12. choose save-as and save the capture into file.
13. upload the file or send me a link via e-mail

To uninstall, use control panel/ Program and Features. Uninstall both "Microsoft Network Monitor" and "Microsoft Network Monitor Parsers". Reboot is not needed.

One more question: does the problem vanish after turning Network Shield off? Or do you have to fiddle with other providers as well (such as WebShield).

Thanks.
Lukas.

The only shield that causes the behaviour is the Network Shield the WebShield is active and working fine.

I've PMed you a link to the captures, one with the Network Shield on and one with it off, on is the capture where it isn't working.

Klinker

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »

Could you please try if disabling any particular shield helps? Such as trying with Network Shield and then Web Shield turned off ?

Lukor:

Follow up from yesterday.....for whatever reason (maybe Avast, maybe something else) something was keeping me from accessing the router web login from either the desktop shortcut or by manually typing in the address. I researched the issue further and determined that once the router login failed, the only way to regain access was to power off the router and reboot it, clear the cache, and then sign on manually using an alternative address. Once router web login was re-established in that manner, the desktop shortcut works again or the primary address can be entered manually. Apparently a failed login puts the router into a "locked out" status, regardless of whether it was Avast or something else blocking the router web login.

I thinks it's safe to say that my issue on my XP machine is unrelated to others on this thread just judging by the logs. Although I can't say for sure if Avast was actually the root of my problem or not, I will say that the router login page is very laggy compared to pre-October versions of AIS. It's not to the point of being unusable, but each page loads very slowly. Everything else seems to be functioning fine so I'm considering this issue resolved.

Thanks.

Offline bassoprofundo

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »
I'm seeing this same issue, and I've been practically pulling my hair out over it.  I was sure my router was toast, but I just traced it down to the Network shield this morning as my work laptop didn't show the same issues when I brought it home.  I have an Asus RT-n56u which I replaced with an Asus RT-n66u while troubleshooting, both of which run "AsusWRT" (Asus' newer firmware).  I also tried my old Linksys WRT54g running DD-WRT.  Access the router's GUI on either Asus is always excruciatingly slow and webpages sometimes don't load or don't load all the way.  The Linksys was slightly better but was still slow/intermittent.  Disabling Network Shield fixes the issue for me.  nshield.log is full of failures.  I'm running Windows8 x64, am connected via a Realtek-based USB wireless NIC, and have the latest Avast Pro updates.  What can I do to help troubleshoot?  I have network shield turned off for now but don't like the prospect of doing that indefinitely.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:52:26 PM by bassoprofundo »

lash78

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
Any news?

Offline bassoprofundo

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 03:13:32 PM »
Any news?

I second that question :)  It's pretty obnoxious to have to do the 10-min shield disable anytime I want to hit my router config

Broken Hope

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
So I take it Avast aren't planning on fixing this? If Avast can't be fully compatible with my OS then I will have to find another AV.

The fact Avast haven't even pushed out a program update to fix the Windows 8 issues says a lot about the company IMO.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
Hi, we still don't have the fix for this router issues, Broken Hope, we are definitely planning to fix this - however we don't know what is causing these problems, and we haven't been able to reproduce them with any router or similar device here.

Regarding the other issues, BSODs in aswnet.sys, we have already pushed the update via the emergency update mechanism!

Lukas.

Jazee

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 03:01:55 AM »
Glad I found this thread.  Asus RT-N56U router. Windows 8 64-bit.  Also thought my router was toast.  Spent a least a couple hours flashing firmwares, factoring resetting.  Then I noticed the Router Control Panel was a lot faster on other machines in my house.  Machine that is having issues bringing up router control panel pages is on Avast 7.0.1474.  However, machine right next to me also connected via Ethernet, is also on 7.0.1474 and has no issues but it is a Windows 7 machines.  Looks to me as if its a Windows 8 issue.  Not surprising since Win 8 is brand new.  Avast should be a bit more on top of things like this I would hope.

I could swear it's making my Internet speed in general slower, but according to Speedtest.net, it's not.  I'll just leave the Network Shield off until its resolved.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:03:46 AM by Jazee »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 09:21:03 AM »
Hi Guys, could anyone of you with this problem try to capture the packet traffic, as I have described above? I've only seen packets from Broken Hope, and it would help to have more to find some repeated patterns that might lead us to a solution. So far we haven't been able to simulate this here.

Thanks.
Lukas.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »
We have checked five more router brands here, still no repro.

Xr1Xs

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
It's not just router setup that is difficult (ie. slow, incomplete screens, not saving properly, etc.) - as I mentioned in my previous post, even "LAN-Bridge Adapter" setup screens are messed up too! My multi-mode ASUS EA-N450 adapter configuration screens aren't behaving with a combination of Windows 8 PRO (64-Bit) and the latest patched build of Avast free. Need to disable the Network Shield before it all becomes good & fast! I don't like the idea of going online with one of the shields deactivated though.  :(
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:16:55 PM by Xr1Xs »

Broken Hope

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »
We have checked five more router brands here, still no repro.

Hopefully a stupid question, but you are testing with Windows 8 correct?

Xr1Xs

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
Microsoft made a couple of compatibility updates for Windows 8 today... Did anyone notice any improvement with Network issues?

win8user

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
Microsoft made a couple of compatibility updates for Windows 8 today... Did anyone notice any improvement with Network issues?

The update includes fixes for Norton, AVG and Comodo AV but doesn't mention anything for Avast.  But I'll be a guinea pig for this patch.

---EDIT---

So far, so good.  Can any developer from Avast comment on the Windows update released today?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:26:15 PM by win8user »

lash78

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
BUGS are cannot be fixed with compatibility updates.