Poll

Still crashing as of 7.0.1474?

No
8 (10.1%)
Yes
71 (89.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: ASWnet.sys BSOD windows 8  (Read 109876 times)

mooman219

ASWnet.sys BSOD windows 8
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
Running:
avast! version 7.0.1473
Windows 8 Pro

Printout:
This was probably caused by the following module: aswnet.sys (0xFFFFF880064A30B6)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x38, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880064A30B6)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: D:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswnet.sys
product: Avast Firewall
company: AVAST Software
description: AVAST Firewall Core Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswnet.sys (AVAST Firewall Core Driver, AVAST Software).

Unable to upload the dump onto the ftp server.
Uploaded it to my Google Drive, https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_dolYolq39ZUkVLekdLWExhSDQ

If any more information that is required, I would be more than willing to fetch it.

This is also my first post here, apologies if this is in the incorrect section.

mooman219

Re: ASWnet.sys BSOD windows 8
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:42:27 PM »
I have no idea how to reproduce the crash as it seems to be random. But none the less, it is frequent, once, sometimes twice an hour.

Ozisl

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »
I have no idea how to reproduce the crash as it seems to be random.
For some people, it has been opening a Start Screen app or doing something similar. If you disable the shields it will not crash.

xenon2000

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:35:46 AM »
I have no idea how to reproduce the crash as it seems to be random.
For some people, it has been opening a Start Screen app or doing something similar. If you disable the shields it will not crash.

I just installed Windows 8 Pro yesterday and installed Avast today and I have this issue as well. I randomly get either the aswnet.sys or ndis.sys crashes.

If you disable all the shields... sure the crashing stops. But then Avast is useless for on-demand protection.

I really hope this gets solved soon as I really like Avast. But for now I will need some other protection until this is solved.

Sepil

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:09:20 AM »
The only shield you have to disable is Web shield. Then Windows 8 and Avast will work together. The reason may be that there is MSE inluded even Defender is off.

Suxsem

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »
i can confirm the issue... my windows 8 crashes almost every 5 min with BSOD.
now i uninstalled avast and the problem is gone... waiting for a fix,  thanks :)

jappe66

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
I had the same issue as well. When I got ndis.sys BSOD I Googled it and thought it was about my ethernet driver since I found some discussions about ndis.sys meaning that. I installed another antivirus program now and it has been working fine. I would really like to get this solved because I have avast Internet Security 1 year license bought. I've used avast for years and all of our households computers. Other devices are running fine with Windows XP and Windows 7 and avast Free. I was using Windows 7 and avast Internet Security without any issues and when upgraded to Windows 8 I started getting those BSODs...

My setup:
Asus M5A99X EVO -motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 -CPU
128GB Crucial m4 SSD -hard drive (where Windows is installed)
+2x500GB HDD
8GB 1600MHz -RAM
Palit GTX670 Jetstream -graphics card
500W power supply

I couldn't find any drivers from Asus website for Win8 on my motherboard... Downloaded all drivers from Windows Update.

thatguy82b

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:03:04 AM »
I just has this crash (aswnet.sys) myself! Windows 8 x64

I had been having problems with ndis.sys crashing previously, and had opened a thread about it in the beta section (first noticed it with the 1468 beta and KB2756872) but it seems to be much less with build 1473. Unfortunately they couldn't find the issue regarding why Avast was crashing ndis.sys.

I really hope they do fix this BSOD and the ndis.sys BSOD with Windows 8 soon! Now that Windows 8 is fully mainstream it is definitely something that should be a priority.

EDIT: Not trying to sound demanding or ungrateful! and I apologise for the (effectively) double posting (regarding my post in the beta thread regarding the related ndis.sys and aswnet.sys related issue), but since it's a related issue I felt it justified!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:20:29 AM by thatguy82b »

thatguy82b

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:50:33 AM »
Actually just crashed again with the same error (aswnet.sys). This is something new for me, all previous crashes were with ndis.sys, so I don't know what has changed in the last day?...

In any case, will have to uninstall Avast for the moment, it's not easy to use the computer when it's BSOD'ing  :'( lol

It makes you wonder how many cases of BSOD'ing are going unreported!

EDIT: Mark one up for randomness! Was going to give it another change but just BSOD'ed again, and after a run of a solid 40 hours without issue. This is really weird, as my usage pattern hasn't changed in this time, and I haven't changed anything else in the system.

Another reason not to downgrade to Windows 8 - it's ugliness isn't just skin deep!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:23:30 AM by thatguy82b »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:34:59 AM »
Actually just crashed again with the same error (aswnet.sys). This is something new for me, all previous crashes were with ndis.sys, so I don't know what has changed in the last day?...

In any case, will have to uninstall Avast for the moment, it's not easy to use the computer when it's BSOD'ing  :'( lol

It makes you wonder how many cases of BSOD'ing are going unreported!

EDIT: Mark one up for randomness! Was going to give it another change but just BSOD'ed again, and after a run of a solid 40 hours without issue. This is really weird, as my usage pattern hasn't changed in this time, and I haven't changed anything else in the system.

Another reason not to downgrade to Windows 8 - it's ugliness isn't just skin deep!
So this latest BSOD happened without avast installed ? sounds like you have some drivers that are not compatible with your win8 upgrade :-\

Does your system have a graffics card ?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:36:58 AM by craigb »

thatguy82b

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »
I meant give Avast another chance, not change! The last BSOD happened with Avast installed. I said I was going to uninstall it, but then decided to leave it and see what happens. lol.

I have since uninstalled it and not crashes now. The issue is definitely a conflict between Avast and Windows 8.

In terms of the graphics, I have a Gigabyte HD7870OC. I did have 12.8 installed, but now have the performance 12.11 drivers installed. The other ndis.sys problem I wrote about in the beta thread was when I had Catalyst 12.8 installed.

Regardless of that though, the graphics shouldn't affect ndis.sys and aswnet.sys BSOD'ing? especially considering one of the other machines that has the BSOD issue is an AMD system with an Nvidia card, every piece of hardware being difference!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »
I meant give Avast another chance, not change! The last BSOD happened with Avast installed. I said I was going to uninstall it, but then decided to leave it and see what happens. lol.

I have since uninstalled it and not crashes now. The issue is definitely a conflict between Avast and Windows 8.

In terms of the graphics, I have a Gigabyte HD7870OC. I did have 12.8 installed, but now have the performance 12.11 drivers installed. The other ndis.sys problem I wrote about in the beta thread was when I had Catalyst 12.8 installed.

Regardless of that though, the graphics shouldn't affect ndis.sys and aswnet.sys BSOD'ing? especially considering one of the other machines that has the BSOD issue is an AMD system with an Nvidia card, every piece of hardware being difference!
Ok, I just wanted to confirm that as there has been many problems with the win8 upgrade and NVidia cards, also the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, but it doesn't look like these affect you.

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 12:24:13 AM »
I can confirm the same bug. Latest version of Avast! Home Edition and Windows 8 Pro. Ironically I have the same setup on my laptop, and no BSOD's at all yet. The laptop was an upgrade from Windows 7 to 8, however...and my desktop which is getting the crashes was a fresh install. What about you guys?
~SugarD-x~

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
the aswNet.sys BSOD on Win8 should be fixed with the version 7.0.1474 - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108170.0
Update your avast please (and let us know!). If it still crashes - memory.dmp is welcome on our ftp.avast.com/incoming

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1061
Quality is also a feature.

thatguy82b

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 01:11:55 AM »
Just had a crash here with 1474 and aswnet.sys again!

(Windows 8 x64).

Compressing the memory dump with 7-zip (its 1GB uncompressed) and will upload.

EDIT: Uploaded
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:53:54 AM by thatguy82b »