Author Topic: Avast WebRep has crashed Chrome.  (Read 40660 times)

jtl999

Avast WebRep has crashed Chrome.
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:41:18 AM »
Sometimes when browsing with WebRep on Chrome it will crash stating "avast! WebRep has crashed" I reload the extension a few times and that fixes it. I did a scan with TDSSKiller and nothing came up.
Chrome 22.0.1229.94

jtl999

Re: Avast WebRep has crashed Chrome.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:05:11 AM »
To clarify WebRep is not crashing Chrome.

megabyte

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »
I formatted my laptop a week ago and this has been happening to me as well for the past couple of days.  It says 'click on the balloon' to fix (or something like that) but nothing happens.    I was hoping to be problem free for a little longer than this!    I did a search and did not come up with an answer to this problem, so hopefully a guru out there reading this will be more successful.

Until they do something about it, I have removed it by going to:

Additional Protection ->   Browser Protection  ->   Settings  ->  unchecked 'Enable WebRep'  ->   OK

Offline HairyScot

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
I am having the same problem.
Started a couple of days ago.
No significant changes made to system.
Would welcome any help or info.

Offline 4ener

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »
I'm having the same problem....... Chrome isn't crashing but WebRep is.

MUNI3131

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »
I have same problem.  Using Avast 7.4.1474 (latest program already), Windows Vista v6.0 (build 6002, SP2) - Updates pending (must do it!) and Chrome because IE has been getting stuck lately.  So is Avast aware and is there a solution on this topic?  This Newbie can't see it. I believe Webrep is optional and can be disabled (must look that up again).

Turboman

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
I disabled webrep weeks ago when I had problems, the same way as megabyte. Never really seen the great need for it. If it keeps breaking why bother with it? Waste of space.

peyabest

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »
I have same problem.

When I start the browser, then Avast! WebRep using an enourmus memory space. (up to 2 GB!!!!!!!)
In this case the WebRep full-fill my swap space, and my PC is going to very slow.

When I disable this tool, chrome works again.

WinXP SP3 (32 bit) / 1 GB RAM / Pentium DualCore E5300 CPU (clock pulse: 2,6 GHz)

jrwelstead

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
I am also having this problem.  Like megabyte, I also formatted my computer a month or so ago and I started noticing this problem.  I click the balloon to reload the extension a few times then I give up.  I am running avast free antivirus version 7.0.1474 on windows xp 32-bit with google chrome.  At this point I just remove the extension from chrome.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »
Hi all,

This may sound a bit surprising, but the tool to rely on really is WOT (World Of Trust).  You can get that here:  http://www.mywot.com/

For my use and purposes, WOT provides much more information about a site I am looking at, and provides a detailed safety rating as well.  WebRep is too much like a facebook like button, and is pretty much useless for me because of that.

Safe(r) surfing!

EDIT:  should be Web Of Trust
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:53:47 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

jefferson santiago

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
Open your Avast and then go to the "Additional Protection" and "browser protection" WebRep so some icons will appear in browsers, with it being just you clicking "uninstall" now Open your browser and go to the option chrome extensions
Open the folder files and programs> AVAST Software> Avast> WebRep> Chrome and find the file
AswWebRepChrome.crx drag and drop the file to the chrome extensions tab to pop up a window and click ok to add. ready.
check enabled and activated.

krad

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »
i don't mean to be personally disrespectful but your "Avast Full Member" Jefferson Santiago doesn't make any sense. i completely sympathize that not everyone has the same talents but if Jefferson can't write well in English, then why is he the only one answering questions in the support webforum?

>>Open your Avast and then go to the "Additional Protection" and "browser protection" WebRep so some icons will appear in browsers,
>>with it being just you clicking "uninstall" now Open your browser and go to the option chrome extensions

what the hell does this mean? this isn't even CLOSE to being a logical sentence. frankly, i can't even confidently guess at what this means.

is Jefferson suggesting we should open Avast!, go to "Additional Protection" -> "Browser Protection" and then click "uninstall?" that's a counter-intuitive way to get something to work, by uninstalling it!

i, too, have been having problems with WebRep and i'm just going to uninstall it within both Avast! and Chrome. i really like Avast! but if i ever have another problem with the software and find gibberish like this coming from the people who represent "tech support," i will stop using it and recommending it to others.

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 02:42:02 AM »
my work is volunteer only, gain nothing doing here in the forum, I am currently in the forum in Portuguese, just came here to try to help, but apparently could not, from now on I close my activities and definitely out of the forum in English. just enough for me.

krad

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
again, i apologize if my criticism was personal. i'm well aware that you're trying your best. i know i couldn't give tech-support assistance in any other language. my comment wasn't intended as a 'flame.'

however, if it's not possible for people to understand the tech-support, then it's not tech-support.

Penny_Lynn

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 07:08:36 PM »
jefferson santiag: I really hope you reconsider not posting on English speaking forums again. You have been VERY helpful to me. Your message made perfect sense. Even my non-technical mother understood it (she just told me to make sure to write that to you). The only thing I needed to figure out was that what you called "options" is actually called "tools", which was not a big deal. You fixed the problem that this forum addresses perfectly (or at least it has so far). If Krad had bothered trying your method rather than just complaining, he would have realized that your method works.

Krad: And yes, you have to uninstall it to be able to reinstall it in a fashion that will make it work. You show your lack of knowledge about computers very clearly in claiming that this is counter intuitive. It is fine not to know about computers, but then you should remember not to complain, but rather ask for more help than what was kindly given to you. What Jefferson gave was more than sufficient for anyone who has had to deal with a problem or two with other programs and takes the time to follow the instructions rather than just losing their sense and getting frustrated. Shame on you for being so rude.

Jefferson: Again, it was very kind of you to help, and whether you used a translator or not, your comment did make perfect sense and sounded like it was coming from an English speaking Techy (who usually don't pay too much attention to using punctuation either). We English speakers would be very remiss to lose your advice.