Author Topic: How to avoid spyware on your computer...  (Read 2317 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
How to avoid spyware on your computer...
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
I stumbled upon this interesting article written by Kristian van Tuil and published here, link: http://computerworld.nl/article/14088/6-praktische-tips-om-malware-te-voorkomen.html (translate into English using google translate)

Some practical hints given there to avoid spyware laden downloads (some addtional info provided by me, polonus, see 1.b and *, 6-2)

1. Do not search with Google for software download links. Malicious links are always part of the results. Better go immediately to the software developer's or vendor's download site.
1.b Anti malware tools for instance  could be downloaded from MajorGeeks and you know they are free from additional crap.
* Always pre-check the download link with DrWeb's URL Checker or Quterra URL scanner or via VTchromizer at virustotals before considering clicking a download link. I also use Bitdefender's TrafficLight and WOT as an indication what links to avoid. And know you also have the protection of avast shields and web rep.
2. Do not use torrents as they are known to have a lot of fraudulent links and infested downloads.
3. Do not use a download manager to avoid the downloads of bundled dubious browser helper objects, like dubious toolbars and unwanted tools or riskware.
4. Do not choose the first downloadlink that presents itself, but look for the right link (see *)
5. Verify the status of the URL lefthand down in your browser and check the link for redirects (see*)
6. Install an adblocker like AdBlockPlus in Google Chrome or  combine with Kiss Privacy extension (6-2),

polonus
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:30:03 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: How to avoid spyware on your computer...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »
All good advice. I always use VTchromizer on Chrome or VTzilla on Firefox.
Another way to "reduce" the risk of getting spyware/malware is don't use the internet.  That ain't gonna happen.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: How to avoid spyware on your computer...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:02:09 AM »
And that from a man who know what he's talking about. :)
printed on 100% recycled bytes