Author Topic: Paid for Pro Antivirus but Current Status is Free Protection  (Read 3598 times)

Purrington

Paid for Pro Antivirus but Current Status is Free Protection
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
I paid for Avast Antivirus Pro but I just looked at my Summary Status and it says I am only getting the "Free Protection."  What gives?

What do I do to get the protection I already paid for?

Thank you

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Paid for Pro Antivirus but Current Status is Free Protection
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
Have you installed the license file from your email ?

Purrington

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
I installed the license information when I purchased the product. The product was working fine until a couple of days ago when I got a message from File Hippo that there was a new version of Avast to download which I did. I suspect the download may have been for the free version and that I "poofed" my paid for version.

I do not have the original email to obtain the license information.  Is there information I can provide to prove my identity and that I paid for the upgrade and get it installed on my laptop?

Thank you

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »
You can use the Resend avast License function http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php, you will need to enter the email that you used when purchasing the license, e.g. the one that the original email with the link was sent.

From then I would suggest a clean install of avast Pro:
- Download the latest version of avast, 7.0.1473 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Note: The default install location for avast is C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast.
Programs & Features, Uninstall/Change

####
The above is based on avast Pro, so I hope that is the version you are suing and not avast! Internet Security ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aventador

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
Sounds to me like he is using the free version of Avast and not the Pro. FileHippo does not offer the Pro version but the paid only. The free version CANNOT be simply upgraded to pro. It is a separate program all together. FileHippo Updater is not as good as Secunia PSI. Most likely what happened is you had the pro version and FileHippo Updater installed the Free version.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:26:01 PM by Aventador »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
It can be upgraded from the free version when the Pro license is applied provided an internet connection is present.

However since they have had two such instances free to pro and install of free over the top of pro, my suggestion is for a clean reinstall of the Pro version and that is what my instructions reflect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aventador

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »
Good idea. But in the future he should not be using FileHippo Updater Checker or else excluded it from being checked.

Purrington

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »
DavidR:  Thank you for your instructions.  The issue has been resolved.  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
You're welcome.