Author Topic: Need Recommendation for Registery Cleaner  (Read 14389 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Re: Need Recommendation for Registery Cleaner
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 12:58:08 AM »
I've been using a computer for years and years.   Didn't think about doing a search to see what a system image meant.  Will try to remember to do that the next time I need to find out what something means.   :-[

Aventador

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 12:59:29 AM »
Hi -midnight,

That is why we and you also  have google.
The definition is "A system image in computing is a copy of the entire state of a computer system stored in some non-volatile form such as a file."
But you could have found that yourself searching for that term in wikipedia. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_image
Remember that for your next question(s).
How long have you been working a computer? Are you relatively new working a keyboard?

polonus

Couldn't have said it better myself. People...............You have the world at your finger tips. Use it. Whatever you don't know................Google it.

davegeeit

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:03 AM »
Invalid registry entries created due to regular installation and un - installation of programs and applications. RecoveryFix for Registry Cleaner Software is reliable tool for cleaning all invalid registry which will completely scans the system registry and making the Windows registry error free.

Thanks

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
At least I think that is what it is called.  My old laptop died and a friend has given me a free laptop that is an older model Dell.  It just has 518 mb of RAM and it is running extremely slow.  I was thinking if I did some sort of registry cleaner that might help.  Unfortunately I need something that I can download free at this time.  Thank you in advance.  Of course downloading Avast was the very first thing I did.

I use Free Registry Cleaner. ;)

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
Hi folks,

But just as bob3160 and essexboy mentioned, you must really know a bout the registry's " hat and brim" before you venture out into tweaking it. For instance read this thread about Registry Backup Precautions and how they still can go hopelessly wrong, if you start overwriting existing settings. (link from PCReview - posting from admiral_victoryATiol.ie etc. and response from Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies) Bournemouth, U.K.))
So without knowing your registry like the lining of your trouser pockets I would leave it untouched,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Busymama62

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »
Fortunatly I have not done the registery cleaner.  The ones I opened yesterday after they did the scans had a fee to fix.  Thank Goodness!!!!!  I had not thought about a back up!!!!  I have been ill for awhile and my mind is not as it should be so I am so glad there was a fee and I passed up on it.  Background, my old laptop died last Wednesday, a friend at church told me to speak to one of the Deacons because he could probably set me up with an inexpensive laptop. I contacted him thru facebook and on Sunday he gave me a laptop and said see if it does everything you need and it is free!  My only complaint is it is very slow.  I was hoping to help the speed of the laptop.  For now I will only do the cleanups that came on the system.  Thank you!  Oh, and I do realize that a big part of the slowness is probably because the RAM is only 512mb.  Thank you everyone!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
You're correct on the slowdown due to sorely needed ram.
It is probably the best and cheapest investment you can make to speed up your system
and stop your own frustration. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
Whilst it is relatively cheap to purchase RAM, it isn't too easy to install on a laptop if you have to have someone else install it (if at all possible) then the labour cost is likely to exceed the cost of RAM.

Which, obviously when looking for an inexpensive laptop in the first place may preclude this upgrade.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Busymama62

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »
Cost is my concern.  I  may just have to tell the person that gave it to me that with all my programs it is running to slow.  I did a disk cleanup that was in the accessories.  It may be a tiny bit faster but not adequate.  I can't sit and wait forever while doing things on the computer.  Typing this message is easier than before the disk clean up.  So we will see. 
Thanks!

Whilst it is relatively cheap to purchase RAM, it isn't too easy to install on a laptop if you have to have someone else install it (if at all possible) then the labour cost is likely to exceed the cost of RAM.

Which, obviously when looking for an inexpensive laptop in the first place may preclude this upgrade.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
I don't know if you have defragmented the hard drive as that in itself if badly fragmented could slow the system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Busymama62

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »
I did do a defrag yesterday but that was before I did the disk clean up.  Should I do another defrag?  The system is running a bit better since the disk clean up but would be nice if it was faster. 

I don't know if you have defragmented the hard drive as that in itself if badly fragmented could slow the system.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »
If you were to take the system into a repair shop they would more than likely install the ram for free if you were purchasing from them, they would already have the back off to check which ram you needed and it only takes 10-20 seconds to install it.

Depending on the amount of ram ( 1Gb - 2Gb ) and type I'd say your probably looking at anywhere from $20 to $60.

Busymama62

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
Thank you!  I will start looking into this.  We need to do it for both computers.

If you were to take the system into a repair shop they would more than likely install the ram for free if you were purchasing from them, they would already have the back off to check which ram you needed and it only takes 10-20 seconds to install it.

Depending on the amount of ram ( 1Gb - 2Gb ) and type I'd say your probably looking at anywhere from $20 to $60.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »
I quickly browsed through this thread and noticed, reg cleaner, temp file cleaner, defrag, etc. I didn't see specs, apps loaded in memory at start, how many apps you normally have running in a session, etc. I have a few questions.

1. What programs are loaded into memory when the computer starts? If there are many, are there any that you can do without? Reducing what starts can help with low memory problems. Running very few apps simultaneously will help too. How many apps do you run simultaneously?

2. What are the system specs of your old computer and your newly acquired computer. I have a dual core laptop and a pentium 4 single core pc. I don't have much patience anymore to sign on to the Pentium 4 single core after using the laptop with the dual core processor. Most tasks on the dual core laptop happen without delay.

My question is, are you comparing apples to apples? Did your previous computer have better specs than your newly acquired computer?

3. What about the operating system condition? Fully updated? All programs and drivers updated? Is it clean? Has it crashed or ever had a virus that has damaged anything important?

4. What antivirus program was installed before avast and how did you remove it?

5. Were you given any recovery cd's?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:52:37 PM by Charyb »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 01:40:25 AM »
I see one huge problem. You have only 512 MB of RAM. you might want to increase your Ram to a minimum of 2 GB.
I went from 3GB to 6GB. The fact that you have only 512 MB of RAM could be a major player as to why your machine is
running slow.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.