Author Topic: Outgoing Email problem  (Read 5017 times)

AngelaL

Outgoing Email problem
« on: February 02, 2005, 08:38:40 PM »
Hello!  I have avast! version 4.5 Home edition, and I use Microsoft Outlook Express 6 to send/receive several email accounts on different servers. 

I have used this avast! and Outlook Express, and have had the settings in for these email accounts for quite some time with no problem, but just today I have started having a problem.  I can receive email just fine, but when I try to send email it goes through the normal routine on Outlook Express, "connecting, authorizing, sending" and the green status bar fills up as though it's going but then it just hangs there.  Eventually I get the timeout notification.  After trying forever to figure out what was going I realized that it was the scanner that was hanging so I did a "pause provider" on internet mail and then tried to send and it went fine.  Resumed the provider and tried doing a send and it hung again.  So I have had to go in and turn off the option to scan outgoing email.

I am just wondering why this has happened all of the sudden, when I haven't changed anything?  Is this due to a recent avast! update?  Do I just need to leave the outgoing scan turned off, or is there some other setting I can change to make it work again?

Thanks,
Angela

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Outgoing Email problem
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 08:42:05 PM »
There are some improvements in the latest Beta, give that one a try and see if the problem is solved or not.

MontauK

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 01:03:01 AM »
Hello there!
I have exactly the same problem as AngelaL described. I found out it has something to do with the heuristics in the internet mail scanner probably. It started with the update around 2nd of February. I have +/- 7 e-mail adresses in my outlook express, maybe the heuristics think theres massmailing going on?

I'll have a look at the beta. Can I install it right over the current installation?

Greetings MontauK

ps. where can I download this beta?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 01:07:27 AM by MontauK »

MontauK

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 11:42:57 AM »
Ok, stupid.. I already found the link: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe

Let's do some beta testing!  ;D

MontauK

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »
The outgoing mail problem hasn't take place with this beta for now. So it should be fixed. I did some .cab testing as well. It scans with a great throughput! Should it be able to scan .cabs inside .zip files?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 12:01:16 PM »
Sure, nested archives shouldn't be a problem.

MontauK

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 06:32:31 PM »
Hmm it didn't scan the .cabs inside the .zip files it scanned.. I did a right mouse click and "scan with avast".

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 09:42:39 AM »
How many files were scanned? (it should be displayed in the "Final statistics")
What exactly was packed in the ZIP file?

boulmiche

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 12:33:31 AM »
I had the same problem, and the beta fixed the bug. Now, how to find the "page" where the link of this aswbeta.exe is? 'cause when I downloaded it I just followed the link mentioned above. ???