Author Topic: e-mail problems please help  (Read 5719 times)

Ali B

e-mail problems please help
« on: January 06, 2005, 05:01:40 AM »
I know you have heard it all before,but,I only downloaded "Avast" last night and I still can not work out how to get my internet e-mail to send and receive. I have two e-mail accounts. Only one of them is not working. My "Hotmail" account is alright.

I have read as much as I can from this forum and the help files and I still can not work it out. Well don't laugh I only started playing with a computer six months ago.

If I turn off the scanning for incoming and outgoing mail, then it works so it is being blocked by "Avast".

I have recently upgraded to Windows xp version 2002. I am collecting my mail in "Outlook Express 6". I am running "Avast 4.5" and "Zone Alarm". I was using "Norton" before I un-installed it and switched to "Avast".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: e-mail problems please help
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 11:46:57 AM »
Welcome  :D

If I turn off the scanning for incoming and outgoing mail, then it works so it is being blocked by "Avast".
I have recently upgraded to Windows xp version 2002. I am collecting my mail in "Outlook Express 6". I am running "Avast 4.5" and "Zone Alarm". I was using "Norton" before I un-installed it and switched to "Avast".

Are you sure that ZoneAlarm allows ashMaiSv.exe (avast mail service) to connect the Internet?
Can you disable the firewall and test if it works?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 02:51:13 PM »
- Make sure that NAV is correctly/completely remove. Use the uninstall util from the Symantec website.
- Reboot
- Do a repiar of Avast
- Reboot
- Setup the mail in OE as if Avast isn't there

Does this solved the problem?

Ali B

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 01:56:49 AM »
Thank you Technical, That has solved my problem. I am young, but I will learn. :-[

I did discover after posting my last message, that "Outlook/Exchange is waiting for a subsystem to start.

Is this as easy to sort out as my last problem? I do remember reading something about that. I thought I would ask just in case I can not make sense of it

Thanks again. Ali

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 02:01:07 AM »
Thank you Technical, That has solved my problem. I am young, but I will learn. :-[

Sure, you're brave  8)

I did discover after posting my last message, that "Outlook/Exchange is waiting for a subsystem to start.
Is this as easy to sort out as my last problem? I do remember reading something about that. I thought I would ask just in case I can not make sense of it  Thanks again. Ali

Ali, this is not a problem...
The message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook
The plugin will be enable automatically.

Ali B

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 03:15:09 AM »
Yes I have just been getting my head round that one in the help files. Thank you Technical.

The reason I am still a little confussed is that, I was able to send mail from my "Hotmail" account  before but not from my "Onetel" account. Both these accounts I use in "Outlook Express". Why would one send and not the other?

With your advice my "Onetel" account is now definitely working and is definitely being scanned. There was a pop up window telling me so.

Does this mean that my "Hotmail" account is not being scanned, or am I worrying about nothing again. There was no pop up window to show it was being scanned.

I am very gratefull for your help Technical. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 09:50:18 PM »
Does this mean that my "Hotmail" account is not being scanned, or am I worrying about nothing again. There was no pop up window to show it was being scanned.

I'm not sure...
To see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2004), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings)

You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

KAZZER

need help please !!!with e-mail
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 05:15:17 PM »
I can enable links on my e-mail on windows xp, but i cant use any links they wont work. Ive been told to cut and paste the link to my browser but i dont know how. Im new to computers if you havent already guessed  so i need lots of help!!!!!thanks. Oh my isp is aol.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 05:21:45 PM »
Kazzer have a look HERE