Author Topic: Falure to ask about Chrome installation  (Read 2949 times)

DigbyMS23

Falure to ask about Chrome installation
« on: November 09, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
This has happened on the last two Avast! program updates on my 32-bit computer, namely that Avast! does not ask if I want it to install Google Chrome, it has installed the program without my permission, forcing me to wait for the install to finish and then take the time to remove it. This has not happened on my 64-bit computer; both machines are using Windows 7 Home Premium. I find this intrusion to be objectionable.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Falure to ask about Chrome installation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
hey it does install chrome if you use the fast install option. But there is an option there you could customize the installation. There you could choose to not install chrome.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

DigbyMS23

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
I did not choose any fast install option, as no such thing was offered. As I wrote, I told Avast! to update the program, which it did. It then asked me to restart the computer, which I did. Avast! then, for the second straight time of updating the program, proceeded to immediately install Chrome.

In short, no options offered, none chosen, Chrome installed without asking if I wanted it installed, just as I wrote in my first posting in this thread.

(Strictly as an aside, I'm not a beginner, having been using PCs since March 1983, on-line since October, 1983, so I have reason to believe that I know how to choose options when they are offered.)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
So you didn't see this screen after the avast installation and reboot ?
Avast doesn't install chrome during the avast install; it is a choice after the avast install is complete.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DigbyMS23

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »
So you didn't see this screen after the avast installation and reboot ?
Avast doesn't install chrome during the avast install; it is a choice after the avast install is complete.
That is, unfortunately correct: On the 64-bit machine, yes, I see the screen offering the choice with each program update, which I rejected; on the 32-bit machine, it has not appeared, and the Chrome install starts by itself after the reboot of the computer.

On the good side of this, I don't recall having the problem before the last two program updates; in fact, I remember wondering why so many Avast! users were having problems with Chrome being installed, given that I would see Avast! offer me the choice each time. (I'm relying on my so-called memory here, but I believe that my statement about it only having happened with the last two updates is correct, that it did not happen with any earlier updates.)

A few moments later: Now I am going to have to amend my previous statements, as I really don't recall if the two Chrome installs were both on the 32-bit computer. I think they were, but it may have happened once on the 32-bit, once on the 64-bit. This raises a question: If one is not at the computer after the reboot, at the point where the Avast! 'finish the install' screen appears, is it possible that, after some unknown time, Avast! proceeds on its own to install Chrome? I know that I was not at the 32-bit computer when the screen would have appeared today, and I am not entirely certain that this might also have been the situation with the first unwanted Chrome install, which might have been on the 64-bit computer, I am no longer certain. My best guess is that both instances were on the 32-bit, as I tend to walk away from it as it is completing the reboot process, as that computer is much slower than the newer 64-bit one, but I might have done the same thing once with each machine. I can only offer this indefinite information as I really don't know he exact circumstances for certain.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:35:58 PM by DigbyMS23 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 07:20:28 PM »
That's the problem with default opt-in (something I have disagreed with from the outset), any problem with that screen not being displayed (for whatever reason, avast or other security app, etc) you are stuck with the default action and chrome gets installed.

As far as I'm aware if you aren't at the computer and the screen has appeared that screen should stay there as essentially it requires user input in the selection of the Finish button.

Both of my systems XP Pro and win7 are 32bit, so I can't comment on any potential difference in 64bit installations.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DigbyMS23

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
I have assumed that, yes, the Avast! screen ought to remain visible; I only raised the possibility as something to consider in trying to figure out what is not working properly--which may be an impossible quest.