Author Topic: Internet Connection Timeout  (Read 8763 times)

ADM

Internet Connection Timeout
« on: February 03, 2005, 10:09:34 AM »
Over the last couple of days I have been getting an Avast “Internet Connection Timeout" message. After clicking retry the message will disappear for a couple of minutes and will then be shown again.

I am running Avast Small Business Server edition with SBS2003.

Any Ideas?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Internet Connection Timeout
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 10:24:11 AM »
Are you running the Internet Mail provider on a SBS? Do you have a specific reason for that?
Normally, you'd only be running the SMTP 2000/2003 and Exchange 2000/2003 mail providers (unless this server is used as a terminal server).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ADM

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 10:51:30 AM »
As far as I am aware the Internet Mail provider isn't running but maybe it was enabled after installing the latest Avast update.

This brings me to another issue I have discovered which is the Sharepoint provider is no longer visible in the providers list. I know it was there before installing the latest update and when I check the installed components it is shown as installed. As I am running Sharepoint Services 2.0 it would be nice to know if this provider is running.

Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 11:00:55 AM »
Well the message you quoted is definitely from the Internet Mail provider so I guess it's running.

About the sharepoint provider: please check the event log. It may be a licensing problem - AFAIK the avast SBS license does not include the sharepoint plugin (unlike the demo license).

Thanks
Vlk

ADM

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 11:06:59 AM »
If theis is the case (which seems odd considering sbs2003 includes sharepoint services) is it possible to get an sbs license which includes the sharepoint provider?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 11:19:31 AM »
As SharePoint 2003 is not part of SBS itself (I mean the Microsoft Small Biz Server), there's no version of avast for SBS (pack) that'd include the sharepoint provider. It's a separate product with separate pricing (which is the same as the "ISA Server Edition" here: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_server_editi.html )

Thanks
Vlk