Author Topic: 7.0.1474 Upgrade: Web Shield OFF  (Read 51613 times)

thekochs

Re: 7.0.1474 Upgrade: Web Shield OFF
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 10:37:06 PM »
Ooooooopps...........just had another PC come up with the Web Shield OFF.....fix button did not work nor enable.

Instead of unistalling and re-installing Avast I did as suggested above.
Here are steps..........
1) Go Into Your Program Files Installations in Control Panel on Windows.
2) Click on Avast for UNINSTALL and it gives you options to Repair, etc....select CHANGE.
3) Deselect Web Shield (Reboot)
4) Once Rebooted you'll see no issue but Web Shield is not active.
5) Go Back into Program Files Installations in Control Panel on Windows and again Avast>CHANGE.
6) Re-Click on Web Shield (Reboot)
7) PC Boots all should be OK.

popeye128

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 10:42:08 PM »
Ooooooopps...........just had another PC come up with the Web Shield OFF.....fix button did not work nor enable.

Here are steps..........
2) Click on Avast for UNINSTALL and it gives you options to Repair, etc....select CHANGE.
5) Go Back into Program Files Installations in Control Panel on Windows and again Avast>CHANGE.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

aritzilla

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 10:50:20 PM »

Here are steps..........

Thanks I had this issue and I couldnĀ“t fix it

Reddax

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »
Is it safe for me to re-install avast? as i took it off as i was getting blue screen within 5 minutes of loading up my computer.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 11:11:26 PM »
Is it safe for me to re-install avast? as i took it off as i was getting blue screen within 5 minutes of loading up my computer.

is there a dump from the BSOD?
Quality is also a feature.

popeye128

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »

Try Safe Mode. Use their cleaner here: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility     Then re-install.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 11:15:24 PM »
this is an unpleasant issue :( We haven't reproduced it in our environment yet (and haven't met it during build testing unfortunately).

Could anybody send me your "setup.log" (or Support package) ? Not after un/re-install situation but from the time when the "webshield isn't working (or log even after "remove" /add webshield would be helpful).

thank you
Lukas
Quality is also a feature.

popeye128

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
this is an unpleasant issue :( We haven't reproduced it in our environment yet (and haven't met it during build testing unfortunately).

Could anybody send me your "setup.log" (or Support package) ? Not after un/re-install situation but from the time when the "webshield isn't working (or log even after "remove" /add webshield would be helpful).

thank you
Lukas

Murphy strikes again! I copied my setup.log from boot time this morning until I got it working again. How do you want me to send it to you?

Reddax

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 11:29:54 PM »
Unforunatly my dump file doesn't seem to of saved, as i've restarted my pc since. I've just heard that re-installing the web shield fixes it, so i'm wondering, if i install it now (i used that uninstall tool to remove it properly) will it work without blue screening?

Frosty_JG

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
I have the same problem, I used the change feature to remove and after rebooting add WebShield, but it didn't fix it. :(

ozy

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 01:29:19 AM »
Used "thekochs" 7 Steps, and works perfect...Web Shield is now working....

Thanks.... ;D

renfest

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:03 AM »
I have tried the suggestion and it did not work I have a Dell laptop Win 7 64 Home Premium Wondering if I should re install avast?
Ren 

wishiknew

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 03:44:56 AM »
It happened to my new Dell too.  Started off on 7.0.1473 last Sunday and only noticed there was an x today.  Upgraded to .1474 but didn't help.  The change feature of removing and re adding web shield worked.

Bummer too as the unit isn't even a week old and except for HP printer driver, nothing's been installed except Avast and windows updates.

renfest

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 04:09:35 AM »
I got it to work  followed the suggestion it didn't work at first  tried it again and it worked :) :)

postpaleo

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 05:48:30 AM »
"thekochs" (above) worked, thanks.

This happened on the Win 7 machine, no trouble on the Vista machine, 32 bit build.

Anything else I tried, failed. This fix seems solid. And much easier then the other things I attempted, and learned from, in the process. Although, I cut my eye teeth on getting myself in trouble back in the day, just so I had something to fix. (learned to type on a Vic 20 punching code, that's why there are so many edits to this post ;), they all looked good at the time.)

Avast!, I recommend your product for many reasons to others, this is a major screw up. This piece of an update has serious issues and I am very much surprised that such a thing was ever released.

I now know the F8 key won't work on this machine and how to get into safe mode (and out) of 7.

Win some, loose some, hey? Tech boys going to make money off this screw up, I do think.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:02:36 AM by postpaleo »