Author Topic: 7.0.1474 Upgrade: Web Shield OFF  (Read 51723 times)

Re: 7.0.1474 Upgrade: Web Shield OFF
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »
I fixed this issue by right clicking avast by the clock, avast shield control- and chose disable until computer is restarted. Then I did a restart and all services relaunched just fine. Another way to fix this is to restart the avast system service under services in control panel.

Another way is the repair installation under control panel programs and features but that should be used as a last resort in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:20:56 PM by 129260 »

user_1000

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »
<snip>
Another way to fix this is to restart the avast system service under services in control panel.
<snip>

Thanks for a nice and painless solution. :) I'm still wondering what is causing this problem.

tenseur

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
Same problem.

keeno

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
Still no response from online support but just had this reply from Avast via Twitter:

"We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Our developers have made fixing this priority #1. We will keep you posted"

Justin2223

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
I also have this issue on a Compaq Windows 7 laptop, came home from work last night and the web shield was off and wouldnt turn back on. So I un-installed and re-installed and all was fine. Went to bed and woke up thismorning and turned on the laptop with the same issue. I'll  be hanging tight and hope there is a fix for this issue soon.  :) oh and I hope this helps. I'll attach my setup.log file

gtech9

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »
Same problem here.. yesterday night, my avast Web Shield service stopped after I restart. I have an Acer laptop and Win7 home basic 64-bit here. Everytime I started windows, I run services.msc to restart the service and the Web Shield started again. But, I have to do that every time I starts windows.

keeno

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »
I've tried some of the above suggestions but nothing working for 'Internet Security' - I've now installed the FREE version (which is fine) and I'll upgrade back to Internet Security once I've been informed that a fix has been found.

Latest message from Avast via Twitter is:

"As soon as we get some news, we will send a general tweet and FB post. I will try to respond directly to you as well"

REDACTED

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
I have been using Avast for years and it was fine until I did the Windows updates shown below yesterday. Now I have the Web Shield problem.
Just wanted to mention that it could be a Windows update so that Avast is aware.

win 7 pro x64 - all updates current. Avast and MalwareBytes Active. -- windows defender - previously disabled

REDACTED

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
I was able to fix the web shield issue by following the control panel change program instructions.

Justin2223

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
Hello, I just checked my brothers desktop (in the I.T admin) for my family's computers and with build 7.0.1474 all of his shields are off and unresponsive. I cannot upload his setup.log as it is to large.

dfoulkes

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »
I fixed this issue by right clicking avast by the clock, avast shield control- and chose disable until computer is restarted. Then I did a restart and all services relaunched just fine. Another way to fix this is to restart the avast system service under services in control panel.

Another way is the repair installation under control panel programs and features but that should be used as a last resort in my opinion.
After using all the ideas from here and at avast! Free/Pro/Suite
I decided to give the stopping/starting the Avast service in the Services listing... and it worked... I even rebooted and it was still on after a reboot... so, keeping fingers crossed, it seems to be good now... and, this is a real mess because I'll bet a majority of the Avast users out their don't even look at the Avast task-bar icon let alone come here to find an answer...

Thanks.

chevbe

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »

I registered on this forum today because of this issue. I tried the repair install from control panel among a long list of other things that didn't fix the problem. After right clicking the avast! icon > shields control > disable until computer is restarted and doing a simple reboot everything seems to work just fine again. Thank you very much for the tip!

By the way I don't think the issue causing this is isolated to the 1474 update. I was using version 7.0.1473 this morning when I noticed the issue (which may also affect even earlier versions I don't know). I have been using avast! since version 4 and this is the first time I've encountered a persistent issue (I've never had any blue screens, crashes, freezes, major slowdowns, etc). It will take more than this to deter me from the product; avast! is awesome, keep up the great work avast! team - I wish you a bright future  :)

Justin2223

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
Alright, I have been playing around with this issue today for awhile, and it really is "All over the place" I did the "fix" where you disable all shields until system restart and then rebooted the PC. when the PC came up all the avast! shields worked correctly including web shield. So I restarted the PC again to see if it was a complete fix, when the PC came back up again all of avast! shields were down and the service was not on, so I disabled the shields again and restarted and now works fine for now, would a new setup.log file help out whatsoever?

bob220st

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »
IT WORKS!!!!! ;D 8)

Bl4ckSh33p

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »
Repair in contral panel did not fix it for me (Avast FREE). :(
/Update: It seems to work now after disabling AVAST until reboot via rightclicking the icon in the system tray.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:28:02 PM by Bl4ckSh33p »