Author Topic: avast and norton  (Read 9889 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast and norton
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 05:17:58 AM »
does avast do spyware, adaware...anything else but viruses as well?
Something yes but not all of them... avast is not a specialized software for adware and spyware.
Protection should be layered and no one software will be perfect and full.
Use Spyware Blaster, SpyBot and Ad-aware for complete protection.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

janpoko

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 10:02:30 AM »
Edit: in case you two decide to uninstall Norton and try with avast!, please come back to this forum again... why ? Because it's not so easy to get rid of Norton completely

Hello, I am a newcomer to this forum, new user of Avast home eddition and in the same position as the author of this thread - I also switched to avast from NA2000 few weeks before expiration.
That is why the quoted remark caught me. Could you give me some hints where I could find additional info what to do to completely remove all traces of NA? The forums here seem so full of posts that I am afraid of getting lost in searching for the knowledge...

I must add that so far nothing goes wrong. I just uninstalled NA from Add/remove Programs and everything works. After some four days of testing I like avast very very much. It caught one malware in my opera cache, which was there from NA times. But what suprised me a bit, the initial memory load (after cp restart, observed on task manager) is somewhat higher than I had with NA (and one process more). Do you have any explanation, here?

Thnks in advance

Spyros

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 10:34:47 AM »
Could you give me some hints where I could find additional info what to do to completely remove all traces of NA?

Check my website, last paragraph: "How to completely remove Norton AV" (The link is in my signature in this post)

kamulko

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 10:35:04 AM »
Some steps (waiting for some reply of advanced users of the Forum): open the Services panel searching for traces of NAV downloader etcetera; look at the services running at startup: i suggest to download Code Stuff Starter (http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/) and RegCleaner (by Juni Vuorio: you can download a free version from www.download.com ). This is just for scan hidden traces of NAV. But don't delete nothing if you are not sure. Avast! have a VRDB, virus database generator, who's running in the background (see the Help for more infos): maybe is the cause of your high memory usage. You can also disable the automatic running of this service and set it manually.
Listen: is not wasted time to read the Avast! help guide.  ;)

Welcom to the Forum!