Author Topic: AVAST Takes Too Long to Load and Does NOT Work [RESOLVED]  (Read 24069 times)

Mike_A

AVAST Takes Too Long to Load and Does NOT Work [RESOLVED]
« on: November 01, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »
When I start up my PC (WinXP SP3) Avast sometimes loads before the network is enabled and sometimes after. When it starts before it also works. When it starts after the network is enabled, 95% of the time Avast has the red X on the system tray icon. I am on Program 7.0.1466. I am not able to upgrade because it is not working. Clicking on FIX IT or START PROGRAM does not work. Every so often I have to manually start the Avast Service.

What is happening that I cannot get Avast to work properly??? No way I would pay for Avast the way it is working the last 6 months!

I'm going to manually download the latest program and install it but I should not have to do that. Is there enough testing being done???

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:20:36 AM by Mike_A »

Mike_A

Re: AVAST Takes Too Long to Load and Does NOT Work
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
Manually updated to the latest release and the same thing still happens!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »
what processor?
amount of ram?
what other security programs installed?

JohnWood

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »
I pulled AVAST off my Intel T3200 (1.67hz 4gb ram 500hd Vista 32bit) laptop after an update caused the computer to take about 5 minutes to boot and then caused the computer to "stutter" through tasks. Regressing back to MSE has this computer functional. Fortunately I always set to do manual updates because when I did update my desktop, I got the BSOD that I am now resolving by reinstalling my OS.

Nothing like the tiny laptop screen in front of my wall of BSOD monitors!

I

Mike_A

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »

what processor?
- AMD Athelon 1.25 Mhz
amount of ram?
- 1 Meg
what other security programs installed?
- None

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »
1. avast! GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Enable: "Load avast! services only after other system services"
2. Click OK.
3. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Mike_A

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
1. avast! GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Enable: "Load avast! services only after other system services"
2. Click OK.
3. Reboot.

I tried this but the settings do not stay. They are reset after I close the GUI. So I searched on the Avast forum to see how to change settings and saw they can only be changed in Safe Mode. Tried that but Avast would not load. So I tried Safe Mode with Networking. Avast loaded. Changed setting as recommended above. Again reset after closing.

So I am stumped. Help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
Do you've admin rights..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
2. Click OK.
3. Reboot.

I tried this but the settings do not stay. They are reset after I close the GUI. So I searched on the Avast forum to see how to change settings and saw they can only be changed in Safe Mode. Tried that but Avast would not load. So I tried Safe Mode with Networking. Avast loaded. Changed setting as recommended above. Again reset after closing.

Thanks.

Is the avast service running at all?
Quality is also a feature.

Mike_A

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »

Mike_A

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »
2. Click OK.
3. Reboot.

Thanks.

Is the avast service running at all?

This time, yes. The icon on the system tray has the red X on it but since the icon shows I am assuming it is running. Also, this time, the Avast service was started. I do have times when the service does not start and I have to manually start it.

This is getting frustrating. No use running Avast if it is not protecting me. I had this problem a while back and then a couple of updates later it went away and I have not had the problem until now.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 04:35:17 PM »
- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS)
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV did you use before avast!..??

Mike_A

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS)
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV did you use before avast!..??

Free.
None.
Been using Avast for quite a while. I believe I used AVG before that but like Avast better. Like I read somewhere else on this forum, like that person, I have a love - hate relationship with Avast. Right now I have a red X on the Avast icon so I have no protection. I do not like that.

Now I cannot get the service started. It starts and then stops. I looked at Windows log files and no indication of an Avast failure. Looked at Avast logs and no entries since 9-18-2012! Now I am really stumped!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:41:20 PM by Mike_A »

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
I've noticed this on an install of XP, Vista, and 7 on the same machine too. It seems to be hardware-related in my honest opinion. For whatever reason, certain systems I've used tend to have issues loading and will hang doing such for a few minutes before suddenly loading it all at once, including Avast!'s services. It seems to be uncommon, though, and system specs don't appear to play a role in it as the system is pretty powerful. I haven't seen it happen on Windows 8 yet, but my best guess is probably something Microsoft released in it's updates conflicts with certain drivers or hardware.

As bad as it sounds, my personal workaround was to just let the computer sit for 10 minutes or so and do it's thing. When it felt good and ready, it would suddenly load everything and get back on track again. ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:04:46 PM by SugarD-x »
~SugarD-x~

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:51:04 PM »
maybe try "Repair" from Control Panel?
Quality is also a feature.