Author Topic: Cannot enable resident protection  (Read 6954 times)

vacu

Cannot enable resident protection
« on: February 03, 2005, 02:29:10 PM »
Hi!
I have a problem: I had to reinstall OS - XP Pro without SPs - and after that I've installed Avast Home [downloaded yesterday]. But the problem is that I cannot use it - resident protection is disabled and when I'm trying to enable it Avast tells me that 'Operation couldn't be finished' [it's my translation from polish :-\]. When I'm trying to scan something using context menu there is another error: 'Program cannot create "Object" in "Cache" '.  When I'm trying to run Avast there are other errors:  'Cannot create Storage object for the Splash task', 'Configuration haven't been loaded correctly. Error: dbsCreateObject'.
I've tried to repair installation, reinstall but it didn't help. Do you know whats wrong?
~vacu

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot enable resident protection
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 02:37:19 PM »
Have you another (or had) AV installed, if so what?

Was this a clean install of OS or repair over the top (this would leave registry and some other settings intact)?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vacu

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 02:48:18 PM »
Have you another (or had) AV installed, if so what?

Was this a clean install of OS or repair over the top (this would leave registry and some other settings intact)?
I've restored the Ghost image - there was only OS and drivers in that image. I've restored this image many times but its the first time with the problems.

pees:I didn't use any other AV.

Panzer

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 11:31:19 PM »
Same problem here. However I do not change anything. My computer rebooted without reason and ever since I get the same messages a vacu. :( I tried the repair thingy, NO change. I uninstalled and then re-installed Avast. Both procedures went without incident. Upon restart, Avast is still not running, even though it asked for and accepted my registration code without incident. It still will not startup and gives the same message as vacu gets :(

???

Panzer

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 01:30:23 AM »
Further to the above, I just uninstalled and reinstalled again after going thru the registry and removong all the entries for Alwil or Avast. When restarting after the install I replied yes to the Scan on boot request and it is now scanning the hard drives. Hope that is a good sign  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 01:43:51 AM »
I would say it is a good sign.

You could have saved yourself a little time deleting the registry entries, and used the Avast Uninstall Utility, find it here, it is designed to get rid of registry entries after an uninstall if required.

We usually only recommend clearing the registry entries if the uninstall > boot > install > boot doesn't resolve the problem. Sorry I could have mentioned it earlier.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 01:46:33 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Panzer

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 02:12:18 AM »
I would say it is a good sign.

You could have saved yourself a little time deleting the registry entries, and used the Avast Uninstall Utility, find it here, it is designed to get rid of registry entries after an uninstall if required.

We usually only recommend clearing the registry entries if the uninstall > boot > install > boot doesn't resolve the problem. Sorry I could have mentioned it earlier.

I knew about the utility for another post :). In any event the scan finished found nothing and Avast remains in the same state as before with the same error messages. I tried starting in Demo mode first no go and then used my reg key but still not working . :'( :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:47:36 PM »
Try changing the database=odbc to database=xml in the avast4.ini file, see this thread for lots of options you can set through the avast.ini file. Understanding avast4.ini file

You can use RejZor's avast! External Control program to do this without manual edit of avast4.ini.

kstyles

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 05:04:26 PM »
I'm also having this problem. I updated IE5 to IEV6 SP1 for a user and also applied the security patches.  When I rebooted the Avast icon had the red circle & red line showing on the task bar bottom right side. All the providers were stopped & When I tried to enable any of them, I also received the same messages as the above user.
I have reinstalled Avast 3 times and downloaded it twice, I've also reentered the registration code on each occassion, but the same problem occurs each time.
I have also run the aswclear routine and used add/remove and deleted all the entries in the Program Files and then reloaded again, but still nogo! I've also run Reg Seeker and made sure the registry was clean. Still no go.
The users PC is running WinME with 512M of RAM and a 60Gig drive with only 7Gig used. I've run scandisk, Defrag, AdAware & SpyBot S&D with all the latest data files,  still no go. I would appreciate some help with this one.  ???

*******OK...Problem solved. **********

Changed the DB inf entry FROM ODBC to XML, rebooted and all was fine. Something has obviously gone wrong with the default DB after IEV6SP1 AND PATCHES WERE INSTALLED.

I'm ok with this change, so I can go home. It's 4am & I'm stuffed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 05:57:49 PM by kstyles »

Panzer

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 05:50:50 PM »
Try changing the database=odbc to database=xml in the avast4.ini file, see this thread for lots of options you can set through the avast.ini file. Understanding avast4.ini file

You can use RejZor's avast! External Control program to do this without manual edit of avast4.ini.

Aha !!  That explains why My Access databases don't work either :( PERHAPS :(. I have just noticed that I cannot open any of my Access 2000 database tables.  They load,  but when you double click on a Table in the database, the $#$#^^$#@@ assistant pops up with the very informative error message Unknown. :lol: I think something has pooched ODBC on this machine :( BTW transferring these files to a different machine, allows the files to be opened..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 06:41:12 PM »
You may need to get the latest MDAC (or jet drivers) update if I remember rightly, it has been discussed several times before. A search for ODBC and MDAC may return more info.

Panzer

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 04:55:08 AM »
You may need to get the latest MDAC (or jet drivers) update if I remember rightly, it has been discussed several times before. A search for ODBC and MDAC may return more info.

Tried that too. No Joy :( The whole DDE OLE and ODBC setup seems to have been pooched somehow.  No idea how. I managed to fix it but the fix was Draconian to say the least. Had to install fresh copy of WinXP :(  Access now working just fine :) will report on Avast as soon as I get it installed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 01:20:19 PM »
At least you have them back, the problem with ODBC seems to be happening more often, whether it is just corruption/windows updates or just frailty/crashes is anyones guess (but a pain).

Hopefully, avast will be OK now you have the ODBC back.