Author Topic: US Presidential Election survey???  (Read 32845 times)

ManyQs

Re: US Presidential Election survey???
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
Thank you for your views, polonus, and everything you state might be all very true and all that, but my first impression when I see that thing -- and it didn't state in that little box it wasn't an Avast survey -- my first impression is there is money involved in some way.  That somebody is paying Avast to do that.  I then take the thought to whether the company is really in need of cash.  Then, if I have time, I start to wonder why they need money.  In some cases I come here.

I didn't come here about the poor English in that Facebook thingy popup, but as it didn't show again I figured somebody already had informed somebody here to fix the English.  That was what -- about three or four weeks ago?

Now it's politics.

Let's see,  if I buy a product from this company do I still get these little intrusions?  Maybe I'll buy one of the products just to be nice and help them.  I mean, there's a money factor in this, right?  They need money, maybe we should help a bit.  I don't mind paying for a couple of years after using the product with the price tag of 0.  If I'm going to go and be nice to some company I can't think of a better place to do it -- the people that run my security for me.  Maybe they can get back to their own work and not have to go getting money from those monkey folks you mentioned.

EDIT:  Because still learning to type.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:06:46 AM by ManyQs »

ManyQs

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 12:03:15 AM »
DavidR, the last place I expected to be asked about my political views was embedded in a popup related to my security product.  Where I choose to discuss politics has not one thing to do with this.  This has to do with relevancy.  And why they need money.  Well, the last is what worries me more than the first.

BUT, as I wrote earlier, if this company wants to start soliciting my views (or let others do so through them) on political things, then it's time to open up a Lounge sub-forum.  Didn't we have one once?  Along with our little flags?

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 12:24:19 AM »
It's just one small pop-up. No reason to get all bent out of shape. If this survey is the worst thing that happened to you today great.
You have the option to "vote" or not to vote. Keep it all in perspective. The survey poses no security risk. Therefore...no harm, no foul.
What gets me is someone started this ridiculous poll/thread. What's worse is I posted in this thread.  ::)

I'm thinking about voting for Michael Rodent aka Mickey Mouse.   ;D

And I voted for Wendell Willkie.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:29:20 AM by jadinolf »
printed on 100% recycled bytes

ManyQs

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 12:42:01 AM »
Wendell Willkie's book about his travels after the election, when he was sent around the world by the US government, is quite good.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 12:44:45 AM »
Hi ManyQs,

It is always a good thing to discuss such issues. Here in my part of the world and that is in the Netherlands I see that we have to get accustomed to new views.
It is a global influence setting in..
We see a different consumer approach of privacy issues and the role of consumerism and commercialization. Mozilla firefox spokesmen just stated that 2013 will be the year of the privacy issues. I do not know how the Nihon situation is and the attitude of the general public.
Services on the Internet come can still be free by selling user profile data and ad revenues. I am afraid that Richard Stallman's future predicyions of where the Internet was going were not mucg of the mark. Gradually people were made to accept these issues - television ads with a little bit of program in between. If not for adblocking a lithany of ads popping up all over the screen. Youngsters have a much greater toleration level. Haven't you noticed on a bus that a lot of people during the night keep on talking because they fear silence. I think the mobile age will only further these discrepancies. I also agree that a discussion of these issues could be healthy and I also think it would be wise if commerce would listen to the minorities of consumers,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

ManyQs

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »
I think it would be really good if we could discuss Net related topics on this site, like privacy issues.  Or that UN meeting coming up which they have gone to some length to assure us isn't a step down the road to regulating the Net out of an office at the UN.

I'm a longstanding member of the ISOC and keep up on these matters and I think this website would be an excellent place for such discussions.  But ...

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 01:23:20 AM »
Honestly, voting for Romney or Obama is the business of the citizens of the United States of America.

This poll can be done by anyone in this world, so its probably biased. Most people in the world would never have heard about 'Romney' because he is just a governor. Everyone knows who is Obama because he is the President and has traveled around the world as the President even to countries like Egypt, even though nothing deeper than that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:25:20 AM by Chris Thomas »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »
@ManyQs,

The website htxp://www.isoc.com is given as clean, but users with firefox and Google Chrome browsers won't see it, because it is blacklisted by Google Safebrowsing as with suspicious activity -> https://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=www.isoc.com
The site's WP software needs updating. But scanner give this site as clean:
http://chrome.quttera.com/chrome_detailed_report/www.isoc.com
http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=83118
http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.isoc.com
Can you comment?

polonus

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »
Wendell Willkie's book about his travels after the election, when he was sent around the world by the US government, is quite good.

Yep

I remember sitting in the rumble seat of my dad's car shouting we want Willkie. The people wanted Roosevelt. ;D
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Hi manyQs,

Also the website you give: htxp://www.speakezforums.com/  is flagged by Bitdefenders TrafficLight as infected.
This given safe here: http://www.computer-support.nl/Systeemtaken/taakinfo/113422/forum_fn.js/

polonus

ManyQs

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »
Sorry, polonus, that was careless of me.  I was referring to the Internet Society here https://www.internetsociety.org/.

As for SpeakEz being flagged by Bitdefender TrafficLite, not sure about that at this writing.  What sort of "infection" did the tool indicate?  If I may ask that here.  Looks like I need to install some software on my computer to be able to check myself and I'm afraid I don't have time just at the moment.  I only woke up because of an earthquake we just had.  Not a bad one, by the way.

Still, thank you for the heads-up and I'll get to checking on that after I get a bit more sleep.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 11:33:57 PM »
Hi ManyQs,

The BitdefenderTrafficLight flag for that forum site may be because of the IP it is on that is being shared by sites with unknown html malware on,
like for instance htxp://roothacks.net/Hacks/Test/D3DX9_41.dll a domain also from 208.100.54.31. Malware now closed or dead.
GET /PGToi8gq/^^index.html HTTP/1.0 attacks,

polonus

Alsamont

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 03:53:38 AM »
Woah there, pardners! What's with the paranoia? Listen -- if you subscribe to Avast! (or install their products for free), they have every right to ask for your opinion on a public issue; you're always free to decline.  This one happens to be a poll of users' political preference; to wit, who's gonna win the 2012 presidential election? To any numbskull out in internet land who believes their vote is sacrosanct, I have a surprise for you -- nobody freakin' cares what you think or for whom you vote other than for its value as poling data! If your vote is such a big deal, why would you not stand up and express pride in the candidate for whom you support?  And one other thing, boys and girls, Uncle Alsamont has some really big scary news for you -- not only ain't Sandy Claws real, neither is your vote. The U.S. is a democratic republic and the president is elected by the electoral college, not the common vote -- hmmm er uh -- that would be YOUR vote!

norel

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 05:57:52 AM »
I have no problem telling anyone my political views, but I really don't feel Alwil has any business quering my intentions. I have popups disabled so I didn't see it, but now that I'm hearing about it I find it strange and a little suspicious. This may be the last straw for me with Avast.

ManyQs

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »
I suppose, Alsamont, your gas company then has the right to ask your views on what to feed the pet elephant, the electric company has the right to ask what roofing seems best for the grass hut ... oh yeah, the newspaper folks can come around to your house and ...

Give me a break there, "pardner".  You really think we who wonder about a Net security company renting out their information popup to some polling company is a sign of paranoia?  Let's see now, the program update popup hasn't worked for the last two programs they put out.  Couldn't be they have their minds elsewhere, no?  Of course not.  Little Miss Avast has been getting the virus definition announcement all screwed up for a fair bit now and that was supposed to be fixed after the 1466 version.  Nothing to do with their minds being elsewhere, right? 

Those and other glitches are all signs of our paranoia, right, "pardner"!?   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 11:31:41 AM by ManyQs »