Author Topic: BOY IT HURTS TO POST THIS  (Read 7916 times)

mrjohncougar

BOY IT HURTS TO POST THIS
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
I was soooo happy whaen i installed avast 7 ten days to two weeks ago. The problem is it is slowing down my browsers. I have windows xp sp3 and i have atleast twenty processes turned off. I have a slow computer. On my desk top, superanitspyware uses 856ks, sas core uses about 2.5mgs and secunia psi uses 2.5mgs and that's it. No games, no music, nothing but what i need.  So the question is when i use the avast uninstall tool will it also delete the registry entries? If not do i have to do it manually or can i run a registry cleaner? I love the forum, happy with the product  couldn't wait to see it in battle .Also for most people using 70mgs to 100mgs is most likley fine with their system. I don't think this is extremly high memory usage. i think everybodys computer is different. SO i have tons of info in uninstalling avast but i can find if the registry entries are deleted. Oh attached a dds log if you want to look. I don't  looked every where and couldnt find a fix.If you saw cnet review on ariva 2013 it will not let you run two scanners . They had a BSOD because of some left over regisrty entries from another antivirus. But I'm going back to ariva 2012 and hope it fixes my issue. :(

true indian

Re: BOY IT HURTS TO POST THIS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »
why you want to remove avast?? avira is more heavy than avast for your info  ;)

avast is lighter as compared to it..

mrjohncougar

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »
Sorry but when ariva was on my machine it used 35-40mgs total. Didn't matter if the web browsers were on the internet or not. And later it dropped to 25-30mgs.  When it scanned i could minimize it and it only used 50mgs. I'm not doing this because i want to go back to it. I'm doing it because  I keep looking a the task manager and spending to much time unhappy. I never had a performance issue with ariva. I just hope reinstaling the 2012 latest version produces the results that i had over this year. I am not here to say anything bad about avast. In fact i'm going to be looking at the forum and on the web and if i see a update made avast lighter i will uninstall arvia and try it. I don't have a choice in my book. It's driving me crazy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:25:30 PM by mrjohncougar »

mrjohncougar

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
So because i'm talking about uninstalling avast no one answers the question? You know i thought this forum was different. I like avast, it just blocked a bad web site. I'm doing everything i can not to uninstall it. The question was if i use the avast uninstaller will it also delete the registry keys? I'm holding off until the last minute but it seems my computer doesn't like avast as much as i do.

gripos

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
whats your desktop/laptop specs?

thats why you get slow for old mobo

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:26:58 PM »
The question was if i use the avast uninstaller will it also delete the registry keys?
Think it should....but maybe not 100%.......you may search for files when done, and tell us the result

this may be of interest   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=103461.msg829004#msg829004
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:32:51 PM by Pondus »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »
Are you saying that avast uses 70-100 megabytes of memory? This is not normal.

I am using windows 7 and my usage is typically between 10-15mb static and usually remains below 25mb while performing an on-demand scan.

Will someone please post memory usage on XP? Anyone with XP, are your numbers even close to 70-100mb?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:14:06 PM by Charyb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
It is negligible, just compare with some of the real memory hogs on my task manager and I'm not about to abandon them either.

You can't compare SAS core with a full blown resident anti-virus application (no matter which one).

So 70-100MB is something wrong.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 10:36:29 PM »
Hi DavidR,

When I open my taskmanager in Vista inside GoogleChrome and look at avastUI.exe I see a meagre 1.828 KB, that is peanuts...
browser using up 5 to 12 CPU...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
Yes but the OP is using XP ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ManyQs

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »
mrjohncougar, everything else aside, even if an uninstall tool is advertized as cleaning pieces out of the registry it is a good idea to take a look yourself.  It's not that hard to take a look "under the hood".  At least I don't think it is.  Is it?  Just have to be careful, that's all.

I mean, this isn't just related to Avast.  Any product.  Check and be sure.  Like that fella said, "Trust, but verify."

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »
Don't know if this helps.
2 enties for Avast> Service and AvastUI  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:09:15 AM by schmidthouse »

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 07:05:10 AM »

Right now, i'm on my 7 year old XP-SP3 with all available updates.

Avast usage - 45.3K - and is not a problem for this old computer.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »
hi mrjohncougar,

As you can see XP Pro resides here.

In order, for the attached .jpegs below:
  • No Browser Running; Avast memory usage.
  • Browser Running
  • Firefox Memory Usage
Initial memory usage for Avast! for both AvastUI.exe and AvastSvc.exe on initial internet connection (just connected) was 44,036 Kb.  At this time many things are going on, such as Avast was looking for the latest virus database update, firewall was looking for an update, and other processes were connecting to the internet.  Avast! monitors all these connections, and I have seen as many as 200+ internet connections when the internet connection starts up via my firewall. 

All expressions used are kilobytes and megabytes or Kb and Mb respectively.

Breakdown for the above was:  AvastSvc.exe (38,852 Kb) and AvastUI.exe (5,184 Kb) or a total of 44,036 Kb.

Once the update checks are done, and the browser I use is loaded, I normally see around 20+ connections, and the memory usage by both avast services goes down slightly.  Here, the combined total for the two is 32,068 Kb.

With the internet still connected, but no browser running, I have 26,504 Kb.

Note also I have up to 56 processes running at a time.  All of them are standard Windows default services or start up processes for the most part.  At first boot from a cold boot, I will see 50+ processes running, some of these are due to necessary third-party start ups such as Avast! and the firewall.

As I can see, the amount of memory used by Avast! varies depending on what this system is doing at that moment.

To translate into MB, highest was 43.00390625 Mb, middle was 31.31640625 Mb, lowest was 25.8828125 Mb.  This is normal usage, no slowdowns of any kind happen on this machine, but then again, I have 2 GB memory available.

Only AvastUI.exe and AvastSvc.exe are used to run Avast! protection and are responsible for most of the memory footprint you will find on any Windows system running Avast!

Firefox alone, when running, uses 161,132 Kb or 157.35546875 Mb on my system, way more than Avast! has ever used.  FF is a memory hog, no question about it.

As DavidR said, 70-100 Mb usage by Avast! is not normal.  I'd look into seeing what your browsers are doing and what add-ons you are running in them that may slow them down.  Avast! has to cover the browser and whatever it runs; it is doing it's job when it does that.

EDIT:  You might also want to look into the infamous DMA bug XP is known for, where the Windows hard drive setting gets changed from DMA (faster) to PIO (slower).  Don't ask why it happens, it just does sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:42:40 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline sggaunt

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
Anyone considering Avira should note this:-
I moved from Avira to Avast when the constant nagging to buy the full version became too much (a pop up every 10 minutes) .
There were lots of complaints on their forum all of which was dismissed by the controllers.
Maybe they gave in eventually but I doubt it, and any chance they might have had of getting me to upgrade have gone now!
Since changing to Avast I don't find it to be bloated, and appreciate the extra features over what Avira has.