Author Topic: [READ FIRST] Regarding Windows 8 BSOD Topics In Avast 7!  (Read 146294 times)

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
Re: [READ FIRST] Regarding Windows 8 BSOD Topics!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 07:08:17 AM »
No offence, but how exactly did Avast 7 get the Windows 8 compatible badge from Microsoft when it quite clearly isn't?

How can a product that BSOD's the system be compatible?

That Windows 8 compatible badge is not a big deal. As far as I know it's quite easy to get it.

Microsoft changed something in a recent very major Windows 8 update pack, and it's only with that installed did the issues start. I was probably the first to come across it since I had access to this update before Microsoft officially released it through Windowsupdate or on the download site :)

This large update may have caused other issues with network drivers, so definitely upload the dumps where possible! It would be unfair to blame Avast if it is caused by a network driver. For example, I have read on another forum that an Intel network driver is causing BSODS with this update.

It's possible that the reason why the update causes issues is last minute changes ('behind the scenes') n network security. This is just a thought!
That's actually a great point!
~SugarD-x~

lash78

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
This is definitely not a network driver issue. Build 1466 is working fine, only 1473 and 1474 is affected, and the BSOD is not only the issue.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »
This is definitely not a network driver issue. Build 1466 is working fine, only 1473 and 1474 is affected, and the BSOD is not only the issue.
If your experiencing any BSOD issues with win8 then read Lukor's post here on a driver patch http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=107886.msg858781#msg858781

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »
Please use the search function if you are getting a BSOD in Windows 8 caused by Avast!'s system drivers!
Please turn off Network Shield if you are affected we are working on fix but it's quite difficult... and your dumps are really welcome!

thank you
Lukas.

I still can't figure out what systems are affected. Personally, running 32 bit Windows 8 Pro almost for one week and no BSOD caused by avast, so I can't understand, why some Windows 8 gets blue screen, some not...  :)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »

I still can't figure out what systems are affected. Personally, running 32 bit Windows 8 Pro almost for one week and no BSOD caused by avast, so I can't understand, why some Windows 8 gets blue screen, some not...  :)

If all Windows 8 system would bluescreen, we would never release it with this kind of bug  :)

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
Please use the search function if you are getting a BSOD in Windows 8 caused by Avast!'s system drivers!
Please turn off Network Shield if you are affected we are working on fix but it's quite difficult... and your dumps are really welcome!

thank you
Lukas.

Same here. I have 2 systems and there's no consistency to the bug. ;D
~SugarD-x~

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
I know this thread is for 8 BSOD's, but you haven't fixed the BSOD's I get when I try to install avast! on 7 64bit.

First things first.  Maybe if you fixed 7 then....

lash78

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I'm not experiencing BSODs on my windows 8 x64 system but the network shield not functioning properly, it is randomly blocking web pages and the router's websetup.
Some of my friends are experiencing BSOD in win8, some are not. I dont know what is triggering this.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
I know this thread is for 8 BSOD's, but you haven't fixed the BSOD's I get when I try to install avast! on 7 64bit.

Hi rdmlaloyjr, have you already uploaded your dumps? I've just searched the ftp server and could not identify them. Do you remember the name under which you've uploaded them?

Thanks,
Lukas.

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »

When did your issue start? It sounds like your problem is likely caused by something conflicting with Avast! itself.
~SugarD-x~

bikemanAMD

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 10:30:23 PM »
Hi All
Installed Windows 8 October 26th 2012
Avast Antivirus 7.0.1474

Only Problem I have noticed is spiking and really high network shield usage when running Firestorm (Secondlife viewer) No blue screen Bsods though so not sure if my problem is related to anything or not, slight lag while using the program, til Network shield settles down.    If need any logs or anything i'll be happy to provide this, as Avast is my favorite free antivirus.   

Secondlife viewer is Firestorm 4.2.2.29837
All updates in
Network Driver up to date
along with Video

thatguy82b

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:47 AM »
To all those NOT having issues with BSODS under Windows 8, do you have KB2756872 installed?

Just curious, because the original BSOD issue was caused by a new ndis.sys that came with that update (I reported it starting back with build 1468). This ndis.sys issue is fixed, but this new BSOD has been introduced since. I ask, because it is a means of elimination.

bikemanAMD

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 01:08:58 AM »
All Updates from Windows Update/Microsoft update were installed when I upgraded to WIndows 8 on the 26th of October.

I always install every update, made it a point years ago to, and never had any problems so far with doing that..

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 01:22:02 AM »
Windows updates installed and no problems on both 64 and 32 bit Windows 8 systems.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 01:29:59 AM »
To all those NOT having issues with BSODS under Windows 8, do you have KB2756872 installed?

Just curious, because the original BSOD issue was caused by a new ndis.sys that came with that update (I reported it starting back with build 1468). This ndis.sys issue is fixed, but this new BSOD has been introduced since. I ask, because it is a means of elimination.
On my unaffected Windows 8 x64 system, I do have that update installed. I also have it installed on my affected Windows 8 x86 system.

Edit: Just added three more topics that I found which people have created about this issue.

Seriously people, please read the sticky topics and use the search function! D:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:30:23 AM by SugarD-x »
~SugarD-x~