Author Topic: gmail and SSL certificates  (Read 2245 times)

iBozz

gmail and SSL certificates
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
I'm using Mail v4.6 (1085) under MacOSX.6.8 Build 10K549 on a 27" quad-core i7 iMac and avast! Free Antivirus v7.0 (37682) - and I'm not a techie so don't understand the various finer points!

If I "Get Mail", I get a series of alerts which all say something along the lines of the orange alert in the attachment.

If I then do what I think that I should, namely:  go to Mail's Accounts Preferences and uncheck SSL on each of them then add the Incoming Mail Server (e.g. pop.gmail.com) and Outgoing Mail Server (e.g. smtp.gmail.com) to avast!'s Mail Shield and then Get Mail again, I get a series of errors like the red alert in the attachment.

I don't begin to understand these messages, save to believe that they must mean something somewhere is wrong in my settings.

Unless, of course, gmail is all screwed up and doesn't have valid SSL Certificates which in my ignorance I would suggest is unlikely.

So, what am I doing wrong and how can I get avast! (or Mail, I care little which) to protect all eight of my gmail accounts?

I can't really change from POP to IMAP on gmail as the accounts are all to do with various Offices of a Charity and are thus not mine to change unilaterally - I have to live with what I have without changing settings outside my own sphere of access.

The present bombardment of warnings every five minutes when Mail updates is driving me nuts!

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: gmail and SSL certificates
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
hey it could be related to this.

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1384&nav=0,1,694 so follow this guide and see if that could help you solve your problem. if not come back here and we have to dig deeper into this.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM