Author Topic: Web Rep slows down Facebook  (Read 1963 times)

Turboman

Web Rep slows down Facebook
« on: November 05, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
Hello everybody, just joined today. I am using the Internet Security Suite after using free version for a couple of years and I'm not disappointed.
I'm using Firefox 12 on Vista Home Premium. Always been very happy with Avast's performance and prefer it to the last AV program I used which screwed up my pc and was a pig to get off my system.
After doing a little experimenting I found that on disabling webrep my browser didn't have problems with Facebook, which crawled almost to a halt with it enabled. Maybe webrep was trying to check all the links that are crammed on a Facebook page and having a tough time.
I'm wondering whether webrep is really necessary. If I need to go to a website I'm not interested in whether it's popular or not. The safety of the site is more important and Avast will kick up a fuss if I try to go to a malicious site. (Thank Goodness!!)

Aventador

Re: Web Rep slows down Facebook
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:54:56 PM »
Webrep has nothing to do with Facebook. Webrep is merely a site advsor. Try using IE and see what happens. Disable web rep in add ons and see what happens.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:09:13 AM »
This is a known issue that will hopefully be fixed this week.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108457.msg858502#msg858502

Aventador

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:21:58 AM »
Seems to be Firefox related.

Turboman

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
This is not really a big deal, but I thought I'd just mention it. WebRep is easily disabled and not part of the main application.
Apart from that small issue I'm well pleased with Avast. It certainly makes me feel safer on the web.
Thanks guys for your input.
 ;)

[Edit] Thanks Charyb, just checked the link to issue posting. Like I said, it's no big deal for me, but a lot of people would like to have all the bells and whistles working.
 :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:31:04 AM by Turboman »