Author Topic: BSOD aswsnx.sys  (Read 61839 times)

to246

Re: BSOD aswsnx.sys
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »
Similar problem for me, also on a clean install of Win 7, SP1, running the free version of Avast

The output from WhoCrashed

windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: Studio 1558, Dell Inc., 0NJWJR
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 4148715520 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1926381568

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 27/12/2013 17:11:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122713-32011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F5E990, 0xFFFFF88009777130, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 27/12/2013 17:11:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x2CB71)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F5E990, 0xFFFFF88009777130, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
product: avast! Antivirus
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! Virtualization Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: AVAST Software SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

On Fri 27/12/2013 08:46:33 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122713-29296-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F6F41F, 0xFFFFF88008543140, 0x0)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 22/12/2013 09:50:19 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122213-35927-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F6D41F, 0xFFFFF88008E52140, 0x0)

On Mon 16/12/2013 23:14:27 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121613-34164-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F4C990, 0xFFFFF880074C5130, 0x0)

On Sat 07/12/2013 14:02:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120713-44304-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002D6241F, 0xFFFFF88007587430, 0x0)

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Inapickle

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
Another BSOD this morning, again identifying aswsnx.sys driver as the cause.

Granted, it is the free version I have been using, and I note that I have posted in the Business Protection section of the forum - but it was actually this thread that WhoCrashed first linked to in the crash report.

But is there really still no solution for this ?? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to ditch Avast to avoid this problem.

jason999

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:02 AM »
I have the exact same problem, as others have reported.

I'm running Windows 7 / 64-bit and am receiving a BSOD - 'System Service Exception'

-2 reported files: ntoskrnl.exe & aswsnx.sys via 'Who Crashed' program that interprets minidumps.

As far as I'm concerned, based on the prevelance of the reports and how far these reports are dated: this is unacceptable even for the free version.
This has to be the absolute worst offense Avast has ever created.  To the tech's working on this: how many years do you actually need to see this exact problem reported before you actually are capable of solving it? Pathetic.

The BSOD's could be multiple in frequency, or fine for a few hours, yet rest assured, it will happen again.
The AVASTCLEAR program better work

Foxfan100

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »
I'm running paid Avast Internet Security on Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and for the first time ever I've had 2 BSODs caused by ASWSNX.SYS in the last 5 days or so.

Nothing has changed system-wise, all the health checks are OK, and I haven't altered anything in Avast. This is  a real nuisance and it would be helpful  to have some answers on the causes of this.

Purple Helen

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
I am yet another victim.  (Windows 7, Home Premium, 64 bit)

15 BSOD crashes since mid December (virtually none before).  I had to teach myself how to use Windows debugger to discover Avast is the culprit.

Frankly I am very close to scrapping Avast and foregoing the rest of my paid subscription - since the new versions it has caused me nothing but pain - the user front end is impenetrable (try to find out how to disable the Firewall!!), it randomly decided my Oxford English Dictionary was a "suspect file" (I've been using it, with Avast running, for years) and deleted it(!) - need I go on?

I have emailed my minidump files to PK and await developments.

Helen.

Tricia_TD

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 10:24:51 PM »
My Windows 8.1 64 bit has been crashing with the message SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION asw.Snx.sys  This has happened quite a few times now, but I only noted message down today and thought to look on the internet to see what it meant, and came across this thread.

I use Avast Internet Security.  I'm not up on techy things, and don't understand the previous posts.

Can anyone help me please?

Offline nobility

• The Family Historian
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
I having this problem ever since I went windows 8.1 - random thing but frustrating as hell. A few days ago I uninstalled my Avast free version and downloaded and re-installed the latest version - good for a couple of days and it just got the BSOD a few minutes ago. This has been reported for over a year with AVAST and no solutions - what gives with Avast support - time to get rid of this product and go to something else!
Windows 10 Home  - Avast Free

camiano

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm running the Pro version of AVAST on a Lenovo running Win 7 64 bit. About 2 weeks ago I started getting BSOD and, after some blue screen diagnostics, aswSNX.SYS is top of the list! BSOD were twice a day and were getting very annoying.

Uninstalled AVAST and now running Microsoft's MSE - no BSOD for over a week now.

The reason I bought AVAST was it looked good and had good reviews. Sadly I now seem to have wasted my money.

Is there any real solution to this apart from "reinstall and switch off the sandbox"?

Purple Helen

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »
Like Caminiano, I've scrapped my subscription to Avast and now rely on MSE - end of BSODs - Eureka!

Avast, don't you care that I will tell everyone I can to AVOID AVAST ????

thekochs

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
OK....I may get blasted for this & I want to go on record I am NOT an expert, nor have any direct knowledge.
However, I'm a very techy person and have been reading this Forum daily since Avast9 came out....waiting/hoping for "me" to update from Avast8 across all PCs....just have one test PC running now.

Anyway, from my readings I understand that aswsnx.sys is the Avast Virtualization driver.
It is linked to Sandbox and one of the options that seems to have helped is to uninstall Sandbox feature.
For my two cents, everyone can determine for their own, I do a CUSTOM install and I've just enabled A/V shields....meaning I uncheck all other options.
I only use Avast as A/V with supplement of active shields from MBAM Pro.......both run nightly scans.
Thus, "for me", all these other features/programs....GrimeFighter, AOS ,etc. are of no use.
I only mention the above because it sounds like Avast is working out some of these items.
In the meantime, one option to see if it has effect/solve.
Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features
Select Avast
In the menu on the left select CHANGE
Remove the tick from Sandbox and then press continue.
On reboot you can decide, or not, to enable Avast hardened mode....if so....set to "aggressive" to replace the sandbox function.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:03:25 PM by thekochs »

Tricia_TD

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 07:13:02 PM »
OK....I may get blasted for this & I want to go on record I am NOT an expert, nor have any direct knowledge.
However, I'm a very techy person and have been reading this Forum daily since Avast9 came out....waiting/hoping for "me" to update from Avast8 across all PCs....just have one test PC running now.

Anyway, from my readings I understand that aswsnx.sys is the Avast Virtualization driver.
It is linked to Sandbox and one of the options that seems to have helped is to uninstall Sandbox feature.
For my two cents, everyone can determine for their own, I do a CUSTOM install and I've just enabled A/V shields....meaning I uncheck all other options.
I only use Avast as A/V with supplement of active shields from MBAM Pro.......both run nightly scans.
Thus, "for me", all these other features/programs....GrimeFighter, AOS ,etc. are of no use.
I only mention the above because it sounds like Avast is working out some of these items.
Select Avast
On reboot you can decide, or not, to enable Avast hardened mode....if so....set to "aggressive" to replace the sandbox function.

So what you're saying is that you think it's the Sandbox causing the problem.
Avast, are you reading this?  Can you not do something to correct the problem?  After all, you are the experts.

Thanks thekochs.  I'll try your suggestion.

Although I have to say that I like the idea of the Sandbox running, but not if it causes my laptop to crash when it feels like it.

thekochs

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 12:40:26 AM »

Select Avast

Avast, are you reading this?  Can you not do something to correct the problem?  After all, you are the experts.

Although I have to say that I like the idea of the Sandbox running, but not if it causes my laptop to crash when it feels like it.

What I am saying is I am no expert and do not know the inner workings of Avast....only Avast knows that.....so me stating what "is" or "is not" the problem is not only wrong...but also misleading. However, it is well documented in the Forum that aswsnx.sys is the Virtualization driver. I personally have had the experience on other software packages where virtualization caused issues.....good examples is backup imaging software that tries to backup you system while you are still using it. I've seen bad virtualization drivers cause many BSODs in this example. So, my point is that this is something to try and see if it makes an impact for you.

IMHO you still have the Avast "Shields"........Sandbox which I agree is nice feature...but if causes BSODs then not so worth the benefits.
I also have not installed Avast's "Browser Protection".....again this not the Avast internet shields but what is known as AOS....a browser add-on.
This also has caused various issues for people thru their browsers....the suggestion has been is to disable the AOS plugin....I just don't install.
So, for me I am still on Avast8 except one test system....which I've backed down to just "shields" from custom install....which for my one W7 64-bit machine seems solid. The problem with all this is for every one bad post/thread there are so many that do not have issues....so statistically this becomes not relevant......but, it is relevant to the person with the issue........SO, that is why I posted the suggestion.  I hope it helps and will be interested to hear your results.

Lastly, if you are concerned about not having Sandbox then enable Hardened mode and set to aggressive....kind of a similar function/fallback.
However, do some reading on Hardened mode.....some people like it......some do not.

On the positive side I have used AVG, Avira, Windows Defender, Symantec, McAfee.....and Avast is still the best IHMO.
Avast 9 still is in its improvement stages but has come along way since Fall/2013 when first released.
I personally trust the Avast team.....else I would have bailed along time ago.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:11:48 PM by thekochs »

Tricia_TD

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »

Select Avast

What I am saying is I am no expert and do not know the inner workings of Avast....only Avast knows that.....so me stating what "is" or "is not" the problem is not only wrong...but also misleading. However, it is well documented in the Forum that aswsnx.sys is the Virtualization driver. I personally have had the experience on other software packages where virtualization caused issues.....good examples is backup imaging software that tries to backup you system while you are still using it. I've seen bad virtualization drivers cause many BSODs in this example. So, my point is that this is something to try and see if it makes an impact for you.

IMHO you still have the Avast "Shields"........Sandbox which I agree is nice feature...but if causes BSODs then not so worth the benefits.
I also have not installed Avast's "Browser Protection".....again this not the Avast internet shields but what is known as AOS....a browser add-on.
This also has caused various issues for people thru their browsers....the suggestion has been is to disable the AOS plugin....I just don't install.
So, for me I am still on Avast8 except one test system....which I've backed down to just "shields" from custom install....which for my one W7 64-bit machine seems solid. The problem with all this is for every one bad post/thread there are so many that do not have issues....so statistically this becomes not relevant......but, it is relevant to the person with the issue........SO, that is why I posted the suggestion.  I hope it helps and will be interested to hear your results.

Lastly, if you are concerned about not having Sandbox then enable Hardened mode and set to aggressive....kind of a similar function/fallback.
However, do some reading on Hardened mode.....some people like it......some do not.

On the positive side I have used AVG, Avira, Windows Defender, Symantec, McAfee.....and Avast is still the best IHMO.
Avast 9 still is in its improvement stages but has come along way since Fall/2013 when first released.
I personally trust the Avast team.....else I would have bailed along time ago.

Well I've disabled the Sandbox, so time will tell. . .

Thanks for your help thekochs.  :D

thekochs

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »

No problem.....favor to ask......please post back (I assume you will if you have BSOD) but also if you have none.
I think many would like to know the results and if this truly had a positive effect.

Tricia_TD

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 03:54:46 PM »

No problem.....favor to ask......please post back (I assume you will if you have BSOD) but also if you have none.
I think many would like to know the results and if this truly had a positive effect.

Yes, will do.  I've marked it in my calendar to remind me, in a month's time.  When/if it doesn't happen, I might forget!  :o