Author Topic: Help!: Mac SnowLeopard > No Login Screen on reboot due to Avast App corruption  (Read 3865 times)

AVX

I would like to bring to your attention the problem I am facing due to Avast AV Free on Mac OSX Snow Leopard [10.6.8]

I have lately noticed that on reboots, Login Window does not show up thus preventing me from logging in. I have to go into safe mode, fix file system errors/repair permissions? before it works again.

Upon further investigation I found that whenever the above condition happens, the Avast App fails to launch/disabled and asks me to fix it or reinstall/uninstall.

I am able to reproduce this by issuing "purge" command in the terminal which then leads to Avast AV App Corruption and subsequently no Login Window upon reboot.

Can somebody help.. TIA.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
I would like to bring to your attention the problem I am facing due to Avast AV Free on Mac OSX Snow Leopard [10.6.8]

I have lately noticed that on reboots, Login Window does not show up thus preventing me from logging in. I have to go into safe mode, fix file system errors/repair permissions? before it works again.

Upon further investigation I found that whenever the above condition happens, the Avast App fails to launch/disabled and asks me to fix it or reinstall/uninstall.

I am able to reproduce this by issuing "purge" command in the terminal which then leads to Avast AV App Corruption and subsequently no Login Window upon reboot.

Can somebody help.. TIA.

Hallo,
purge just purges the filesystem cache, simulating cold-boot state. Does this show up with fileshield off? Does this show up with latest VPS (younger than 5th nov)?

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline mity

• Avast team
We are unable to reproduce in any way. Tried on all OS X major versions since 10.5 using the purge command.

We should be able to get some clue what's going wrong on your machine if you provide us a log from the avast! repair operation. When that happens, avast! creates two log files in your /tmp directory named like avastinstscript-###.log (where ### is a number of process ID). Please reproduce once more, let then avast! repair itself and send us the two latest log files for analyzes.

Thanks for you help,
Mity

AVX

Thanks! mity and zilog for your prompt response. I was unable to reply promptly as I was on a vacation. Apologies!.

While going through the logs I noticed that ntfs-3g driver software was crashing, so I proceeded to uninstall it along with Avast. Re-downloaded latest Avast and installed it afresh. And I am happy to report that everything seems to be working okay.

Will test more and report back if I encounter issues.

Thanks once again for all your help!. :)