Author Topic: How to prevent Anti Theft from sending any (unsolicited) SMS?  (Read 8227 times)

farrol

How to prevent Anti Theft from sending any (unsolicited) SMS?
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »
Hello,

I am traveling a lot and use a lot of different SIM cards in different countries.

My understanding is that Anti Theft (AT) will send a hidden SMS to an avast server and also to a friend number whenever I change the SIM card.

I don't want that behavior, because it will be costly when international SMS are sent.

I rather want to control AT solely through the web interface. So when my phone is lost/stolen, I would request the location, alarm, etc. from the web interface.

Also the friend number does not make much sense for me, because I might be in a totally different county than the friend number I specified.

I already tried to remove all friend numbers, but AT does not allow that.

Any advice?

Cheers, Farrol

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: How to prevent Anti Theft from sending any (unsolicited) SMS?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »
Hello,

that won't be possible. One of the key features of Anti-Theft is, the notification of SIM card change. This is absolutely necessary since you need to be able to stay in touch with your phone once the sim card has changed. The new number can't be sent to the server via internet. It needs an sms.

still - you can just deactivate anti-theft before you change the sim card abroad. with the new sim card in place, you open Anti-Theft and reactivate it. The new sim card gets added to the list of trusted SIM cards.

farrol

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »
Ok so when I deactivate AAT and then change the SIM and then re-activate AAT, then no SMS is sent anywhere? Not even to the avast server?

And is there any way to remove all friend numbers? They are not useful for me and might only cost me money in case of a (potentially false) alarm.

Anyway I would prefer to be able to disable AAT from sending SMS completely, unless a specific request is sent from the portal or by SMS with PIN from another phone.

I am aware that this would reduce the protection level of AAT, but at least I would like the option to disable unsolicited SMS sending. Just as an advanced option, of course.

Thanks, Farrol

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:45:36 PM »
hi yes if you launch AAT with a new SIM inserted it will add that SIM to the trusted SIM list.
In this case, an SMS to our server is only sent ONCE on the first device boot.

I understand that you would like to disable AAT SMS sending completely. We will consider that for the future.

farrol

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »
Thank you, I would really appreciate that feature.

BTW, can I be assured that SMS sending will work also without additional charges in somewhat exotic countries like e.g. Laos? With a foreign or local SIM?

Because I remember that AAT popped up a message saying that it modified the SMS center settings during installation, that worried me a bit.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 02:10:33 PM »
that message 100% did not come from AAT, as we do nothing like that and have no text saying that in our resources.

PS: about foreign countries see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108329.0

Thank you, I would really appreciate that feature.

BTW, can I be assured that SMS sending will work also without additional charges in somewhat exotic countries like e.g. Laos? With a foreign or local SIM?

Because I remember that AAT popped up a message saying that it modified the SMS center settings during installation, that worried me a bit.

farrol

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
Thanks, I will try to change my SIMs like suggested in that thread. Just hope I don't forget when I arrive.

About that installation message I don't remember its exact wording, might have been "SMS gateway" instead of SMS center. Maybe the message was referring to that avast server which receives all those SIM-change SMS messages.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »
just follow the guide and you'll be fine.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »
just follow the guide and you'll be fine.

Would be nice to add this guide to the FAQ and the manual..!! ;)

PS: Btw, will there ever be a German translation for the FAQ/manual..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

reinhardholzner

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
there should be one!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

reinhardholzner

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
Checking will tell once i get feedback from doc department

reinhardholzner

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
Ah the guys are currently working on it. so it will come up.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
Checking will tell once i get feedback from doc department

OK, when you found it, please let me know.
I'd be happy to spread it to the German speaking avast! community.
Many users are already waiting since a very long time...

Thanks.