Author Topic: IS NOT ENABLE Resident Protection By Default  (Read 6642 times)

troubleshooting

IS NOT ENABLE Resident Protection By Default
« on: February 02, 2005, 08:07:16 PM »
DavidR the member had suggested to create a new topic abt the resident protection.I had faced this prob 2-3 times even in clean install the O.S i mean still it doesn't enable the resident protection by default..i need to enable them manually..even my friend's pc i had formated his pc(p-4,1.6Ghz,256mb ram) too...coz of virus infection...staill the same prob..I had installed win xp pro sp2 even mine is the same O.S and my system specification is p-4 , 1.7Ghz and 512 mb ram.

Did any one face this prob before?

lee16

Re: IS NOT ENABLE Resident Protection By Default
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 08:12:06 PM »
Are you sure there no other resident protection software on your PC at all?, (i.e a spyware scanner resident protection etc)

Are you doing a custom  install at all?

--lee

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 08:55:18 PM »
Ok, there are occasions were for some reason the install doesn't complete sucessfully and no icon appears on the system tray.

So I would suggest that you try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, avast! Anti-Virus, Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

StyleWarz

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 09:15:30 PM »
What version and language of OS do you use??? If you use a Arabian version the problem might be there?  ???
I installed Avast! on many many systems and never had the problem... Pls give your OS details :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 11:09:58 PM »
He is using win xp pro sp2 as he said in his post.

I had installed win xp pro sp2 even mine is the same O.S and my system specification is p-4 , 1.7Ghz and 512 mb ram.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

troubleshooting

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 09:36:01 AM »
Thanxx guys for ur replies :) This is not that seriious isssue,coz i am able to enable the resident protection and it stays enabled.I am using win xp pro sp 2 U.S version 2002 build 2600 and windows version 5.1.Hope this details is enough ;)

StyleWarz

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 11:13:21 AM »
Ok you use the US version... That has to work proper then :S
What other programs are you running in the background? What firewall? I think it must be a conflict with other services or software...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »
Thanxx guys for ur replies :) This is not that seriious isssue,coz i am able to enable the resident protection and it stays enabled.I am using win xp pro sp 2 U.S version 2002 build 2600 and windows version 5.1.Hope this details is enough ;)

Hello Troubleshooting and welcome to forums !

Of course it IS serious issue. Resident protection must be enabled by default. Enabling it manually is just temporary solution, not permanent, so we all have to work on this problem. I personally never experienced something like that you just mentioned, but that doesn't mean that problem doesn't exist. It may be some other resident security related programs are fighting with avast's resident module at this point on your computer.

Please, give us a detailed list of all programs that runs in background on your computer. Also, very very very important... try to collect as much information as you can regarding your friend's systems. If I remember well, you said, you installed avast! on their systems too, and they are having same problems with resident shield. I guess you maintenace their systems, so it could be that you also installed some other program on their systems, and that program is killing avast! resident protection... try to give as much info as you can... we are here to help. If one don't know, someone else could have some clue, and it can help everybody else who experienced problems like you mentioned...

Take care and post back !
Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

troubleshooting

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 06:57:00 PM »

Hello Troubleshooting and welcome to forums !

Of course it IS serious issue. Resident protection must be enabled by default. Enabling it manually is just temporary solution, not permanent, so we all have to work on this problem. I personally never experienced something like that you just mentioned, but that doesn't mean that problem doesn't exist. It may be some other resident security related programs are fighting with avast's resident module at this point on your computer.

Please, give us a detailed list of all programs that runs in background on your computer. Also, very very very important... try to collect as much information as you can regarding your friend's systems. If I remember well, you said, you installed avast! on their systems too, and they are having same problems with resident shield. I guess you maintenace their systems, so it could be that you also installed some other program on their systems, and that program is killing avast! resident protection... try to give as much info as you can... we are here to help. If one don't know, someone else could have some clue, and it can help everybody else who experienced problems like you mentioned...

Take care and post back !
Cheers !

In the clean o.s as well as my friend's system,i have installed Avast as 1st proity and 2nd the firewall using zone alram security suite version:5.5.062.004 and 3rd Spyware MS spyware beta1.
Ok, i got a question if i install Avast! in my new o.s how many times should i restart my system to get that Resident protection enabled..Well my friend u don't have to worry..abt my AV it is still enabled and loading near the system clock,whenever i ON the system or shutdown or restart..it perfectly fine...in starting i have prob..i don't why!? ??? and that prob is over. :-\

lee16

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 07:32:57 PM »
When you install avast it will promt you to restart your PC, when the computer has restarted the resident Shield should then be enabled.

Is this not the way you did it?

--lee

arkazmi

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 09:57:25 PM »
Been using avast! for quite sometime now, got rid of NAV finally.
After working fine for few months, the 'a' icon suddenly disappeared from the tray. I reinstalled avast! and everything was ok. I don't remember what I did or happened that caused this disappearance. Just three days back, I was trying to change the paging file size and was rebooting the system repeatedly to see the effect. What I noticed was that after third or fourth reboot the 'a' icon vanished from the tray. I thought the systray.exe was playing a trick, and the AV was working well. On a hunch, I executed the EICAR (antivirus testing file having a fake virus), and found no virus warning. This alarmed me, as I for the first time realized that not just the tray icon, but the resident protection was gone. I went to the avast! folder (in Program Files) and executed the ashdisp.exe (again on a hunch) and voila! the tray icon reappeared, rotating happily  :). But subsequent reboots showed that the tray icon wasn't reappearing automatically (had to use ashdisp.exe again and again). So I decided the earlier cure, i.e. reinstallation of the AV. It worked this time too, but I am worried. There is something that turns off the resident protection apparently easily. Maybe it was my tampering with the paging file (but its unlikely).
To cut the long story short, the resident protection shouldn't fail so easily.

I'm using XP (with sp1) on a P4 1.7mhz, 256 RAM, zonealarm as the eternal resident program, webshots is the other resident program, firefox is my browser (don't remember when I last used MSIE), also using AdAware & spywareblaster & spybot:Search-n-Destry as spyware protection, none of these three is resident however. And yes, I am using the latest of avast! home edition 4.5.--- with latest virus updates.

ps: just a thought, why is one of the files named 'jollyroger...'?

troubleshooting

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 08:32:14 PM »
Been using avast! for quite sometime now, got rid of NAV finally.
After working fine for few months, the 'a' icon suddenly disappeared from the tray. I reinstalled avast! and everything was ok. I don't remember what I did or happened that caused this disappearance. Just three days back, I was trying to change the paging file size and was rebooting the system repeatedly to see the effect. What I noticed was that after third or fourth reboot the 'a' icon vanished from the tray. I thought the systray.exe was playing a trick, and the AV was working well. On a hunch, I executed the EICAR (antivirus testing file having a fake virus), and found no virus warning. This alarmed me, as I for the first time realized that not just the tray icon, but the resident protection was gone. I went to the avast! folder (in Program Files) and executed the ashdisp.exe (again on a hunch) and voila! the tray icon reappeared, rotating happily  :). But subsequent reboots showed that the tray icon wasn't reappearing automatically (had to use ashdisp.exe again and again). So I decided the earlier cure, i.e. reinstallation of the AV. It worked this time too, but I am worried. There is something that turns off the resident protection apparently easily. Maybe it was my tampering with the paging file (but its unlikely).
To cut the long story short, the resident protection shouldn't fail so easily.

I'm using XP (with sp1) on a P4 1.7mhz, 256 RAM, zonealarm as the eternal resident program, webshots is the other resident program, firefox is my browser (don't remember when I last used MSIE), also using AdAware & spywareblaster & spybot:Search-n-Destry as spyware protection, none of these three is resident however. And yes, I am using the latest of avast! home edition 4.5.--- with latest virus updates.

ps: just a thought, why is one of the files named 'jollyroger...'?
U shouldn't be playing with Paging file ;D very frequently!may be this world tempeory affect the Avast!