Author Topic: Being able to turn off persistent daemon  (Read 3320 times)

phKU

Being able to turn off persistent daemon
« on: November 26, 2012, 04:06:54 AM »
Hello,

Thank you for this wonderful free peace of software. I just used it with success for scanning and fixing one of my trojan infected website :)

Saddly, I had to uninstall it afterwards because I couldn't find how to get rid of the background processes (I don't want them on all the time…). I would love to use the software to selectively scan some suspected files but I'm afraid this use wasn't foreseen… or am I wrong ?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion ;)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Being able to turn off persistent daemon
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for this wonderful free peace of software. I just used it with success for scanning and fixing one of my trojan infected website :)

Saddly, I had to uninstall it afterwards because I couldn't find how to get rid of the background processes (I don't want them on all the time…). I would love to use the software to selectively scan some suspected files but I'm afraid this use wasn't foreseen… or am I wrong ?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion ;)

Hallo, just turn off all shields in preferences. Background processes will just sit there, doing only update/maintenance tasks, and not consuming any additional cpu power most of the time. Turning them down entirely isn't good idea - you will miss important daily updates etc.

Regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

phKU

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:48:37 AM »
Thank you very much zilog for your reply.

I already tried to just turn off all shields you mentioned but noticed then there was a lot of network connections still originating from a couple of background processes.

I understand this is the company policy not (or no more) allowing to turn off these processes. But as far as I know, mac users don't like so much to be forced in one way or another, so I am.

I am sure leaving this choice to the users would help the deployment in the mac community of this otherwise excellent software.

Thank you again for your reply.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
Thank you very much zilog for your reply.

I already tried to just turn off all shields you mentioned but noticed then there was a lot of network connections still originating from a couple of background processes.

I understand this is the company policy not (or no more) allowing to turn off these processes. But as far as I know, mac users don't like so much to be forced in one way or another, so I am.

I am sure leaving this choice to the users would help the deployment in the mac community of this otherwise excellent software.

Thank you again for your reply.

Hallo,
what's easy for the user, could be easy for malware as well - that's why there's no user-accessible (except uninstall) way to turn avast completely down.
But, as supersuer, of couse, you can just unload avast's launchdaemon plists, if you want (with the consequences that you'll miss incremental updates etc. - they really don't consume much bandwidth).

Regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)