Author Topic: Performance (Thunderbird) + crash issues (EyeTV) with avast for Mac free  (Read 3324 times)

zivilist

Hello avast team,

Thunderbird is working very slow (often beachball) while avast is enabled. I have disabled the mail modul (because of the SSL errors). Creating and browsing mails in Thunderbird goes very slow.

Another problem: Elgato EyeTV is crashing while closing it: It is only possible to quit the program with the immediately quit the program (CMD+ALT+ESC). Sometimes there is a crash while shutting down the mac like this: http://daniel.cohen.net/blog/2010/04/achieving-nirvana-with-flex-160/mac_os_x_crash/ since avast! for Mac free is installed.

It is possible to fix it?

OS X: 10.8.2
EyeTV: 3.5.6

This was also with OS X 10.8.1 and EyeTV 3.5.5

regards,
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:11:40 AM by zivilist »

zivilist

Re: Performance (Thunderbird) + crash issues (EyeTV) with avast for Mac free
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
No comments?  :-[

Libitz

Re: Performance (Thunderbird) + crash issues (EyeTV) with avast for Mac free
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:12:17 AM »
Hi  zivilist,

I had come across the same issue with the following setup.

Mountain Lion v10.8.2
Thunderbird v17.0
Avast v7.0 (37781)

I decided to exclude my Thunderbird profile from being scanned by Avast. I do realize this is defeating the purpose of having a virus scanner. If it wasn't for the extremely poor performance I would never opt for this as a solution. Think of it as a temporary fix for the problem you are experiencing.

In Avast Preferences click on File System Shield and click on Advanced and select the following path to exclude.

/Users/Username/Library/Thunderbird    - replace username with your short name.

I would also exclude where the EYETV is saving data during live recording.

Hope that helps!