Author Topic: Uninstall left files in "Program Files" cannot complete uninstall  (Read 5398 times)

jim1475

I tried to uninstall Avast free eddition but I still have files in my Program files. I have tried to re install but I cannot. I have tried to delete the Avast folder in the program files but I cannot. What ever I try Avast stays on my computer but will not work. I do want to keep it but I can't make it work, or complete the uninstall so I can re install it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Uninstall left files in "Program Files" cannot complete uninstall
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:37 AM »
- Download the latest version of avast, 7.0.1474 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that most likely, start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

EDIT: version corrected.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:56:49 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ManyQs

Re: Uninstall left files in "Program Files" cannot complete uninstall
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:12:28 AM »
In XP, various versions, and Vista, various versions, I have always managed to figure out how to delete folders from the Program Files (and/or ProgramData).  That part of your post, jim1475, might indicate a permissions situation that could be fixed.  But I don't think I saw an indication of what OS you are running, nor do I know how permissions work in other Operating Systems other than the two I've noted here.  Well, we don't want to go too far back in time, right.  I'm familiar with the Trash80, but Avast wasn't around then.  In fact, I still have a couple Trash80s.