Author Topic: Recommendations for a gaming laptop  (Read 16060 times)

Offline Misuzu

Re: Recommendations for a gaming laptop
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
Though, isn't it possible for malware and such to "live through" a factory restore?

No. (If it's done right.)

As has been said it shouldn't be an issue, but in life there are no guarantees. Some years ago some new hard disks were coming out of the factories already infected.

So whatever you get ensure you do install avast and run a scan.

Was those computers factory refurbished or brand new? Either way, it's bound to happen at some point somehow. Though hopefully that doesn't become a frequent problem.  :o
I always do Avast! and MBAM scans on the new computers my family gets anyway. ;D

And thanks for the info, Dch48. I usually don't uninstall a lot of programs except the pre-installed antivirus programs.
|  Free Avast!   |  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Both up-to-date) |

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Recommendations for a gaming laptop
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »
It was the hard drives coming from the factory, so the possibility is going to be there for infection from any point in the chain, be that new PC or refurbished. However, that is a limited possibility at all points suppliers would/should be exercising due care. But you shouldn't be too concerned when you also exercise due diligence, get your security software on there and run your scans.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security